Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have lurked here awhile getting info to fix the wife's van. I have searched and done the troubleshooting and fixes found here. The problem still remains and I am stumped. :huh: I am tried of throwing parts and $$$ at it. I hope someone here may have some advice. Thanks in advanced for any input.

The van is a 2004 that we bought new, has 171,000 on odo. Has been a great trouble free kid hauler. The timing belt and other maintenance items replaced that's it.

This summer it began to run rough at idle and surge while accelerating in lower gears. The CEL and TCL light came on. The codes say misfire on each cylinder and random misfire. I clear them and they always come back.

So here is what I have done to try to fix it, opening my wallet and beers along the way.:DD

1. Replaced Plugs with oem NGK plugs the expensive ones.
2. Checked for bad coil, was not conclusive. So I replaced them all.
3. I took off the intake and cleaned all the erg passages. I know this is for early vans but thought it couldn't hurt.
4. Replaced the ERG valve.
5. Fixed the power steering wire which was broken or broke when I took it off.
6. Replaced the IAC valve.
7. Looked for air or vacuum leaks, didn't find any.
8. Ran premium gas, seafoam, techron and all other forms of injector cleaner through it.

The van still stumbles at idle like it is missing. Runs smooth when you first start it (1000) but when rpms settle at idle (700) its rough. Starts easily and runs down the road fine. It does surge while accelerating from a stop.

The only other items I can think of are clogged injectors. I doubt the valve clearances would be off or that it jumped a tooth on the timing belt.

Anyone have insight? I work on my vehicles and motorcycles myself but am about ready to take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Has the timing belt and tensioner been replaced. Have the injectors checked for leaks. do a compression test. Throwing parts is not the way to fix todays computer driven engines. Take it to a good mechanic that has the test equipment to diagnose the engine properly. You have probably spent more already than it would cost at a good shop And I am not talking about a dealer unless you the dealer has mechanics that have the skills.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. Yes the timing belt and tensioner was replaced last year. Your right I need to take it to good mechanic at this point. I do not have the equipment or experience to diagnose it further. I may check the compression though. I am just frustrated I can't figure this out.

The vans been paid off for awhile so I figure the parts I replaced would be about 1.5 car payments. We plan to keep the van until it dies. So I guess the parts I replaced is somewhat preventative maintenance given the mileage. Thats what I telling myself anyway to justify the time and $$$ I have spent. Ha Ha

·
Registered
305 Posts
You're probably correct about the fuel injectors. I'm not sure how easily these come out. If you want to fix this yourself, you could buy 1 or 2 new ones and start swapping them around. Or figure out a way to test the existing ones once you pull them.

Or, after 171,000 miles, just replace all 6.

Post back here once you figure out the problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had same problem on my 2003 w/200k miles. Did all the same things you mentioned. Finally decided to adjust valves. Solved problem. Almost all valves needed adjusting. Intakes were loose and exhaust were tight. Made quite a differrence. Runs really smooth now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked and none of the injectors are leaking. On the outside anyway. I am going to do a compression test and may check the valve clearances. Thanks for the info. May end up taking it to a mechanic though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had same problem on my 2003 w/200k miles. Did all the same things you mentioned. Finally decided to adjust valves. Solved problem. Almost all valves needed adjusting. Intakes were loose and exhaust were tight. Made quite a differrence. Runs really smooth now.
This weekend I checked the compression and all cylinders were 140 +- a couple. So I decided to check the valve lash. Indeed almost all needed adjustment. The intakes were loose and the exhaust were tight. Replaced the intake, spark plug and valve cover gaskets. The van runs great now, no stumbling or miss firing. Nice and smooth and has noticeably more power. The CEL is off and remains off. I have the factory service manual which is needed for the correct procedure and torques specs. It took some time to do but I am glad I figured it out. With the shotgun of new parts and valve adjustment should be good for another 50k. Thanks for everyone's input.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem on a replacement Japanese import engine, which I had to buy after my cyl 5 plug blew out of the hole!!

ALWAYS check the valve adjustment, and do it with the engine COLD. Even a couple thousandths too tight on an exhaust valve (they tend to tighten up) is enough to leak enough unburned fuel-air mix, especially at low speeds, to cause a stumble, and to cause the ECS light to go on, and throw a bunch of useless "misfire in cylinder x" codes.

Carefully follow the instructions (there are several good Youtube videos) on how to adjust the clearance, and to rotate the engine. Frankly, for the couple hundred $ you might save Minus 3x the time it will take you) its worth finding a good mechanic who does this all the time, and let him do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks!

I've been dealing with the same thing since the 10th of October, 2015 and I am at my wits end with it. We have replaced all spark plugs and 2 coils (at $84 a piece ouch!) and it is still running bad. The original problem was Throttle position Sensor and that has been long fixed. Now we get " Cylinder X misfire":huh: I am finally going to take it to an actual garage next week and I am going to tell them about the valves and hopefully that is the fix. Thanks for giving me a direction to send the mechanics. :cool: Oh and mine is an 2004.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
You might want to start your own thread and include the mileage, the model and if the spark plugs are the recommended NGK ( 4363 PZFR5F-11 ) and not Bosch, and how long you have owned it.
Any symptoms you noticed before all this happened.
Also post the trouble code numbers.
Please expound on what 'running bad' is: Missing, dying, no power, esp on accel or at a certain speed, etc
Buffalo4

1 - 10 of 10 Posts