Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
I was wondering about gear ratios too, thanks to all who posted the specs! So it looks like (assuming the Ody gear ratios are the same as the MDX tranny) in addition to an extra 30-35 HP and more torque, the '02 will have a little better low end acceleration due to lower gears. Lower final drive (4.2 vs 3.9) and slightly lower trans gears in the first four, with a higher "effective" final drive ratio of about 2.18 to 1 (.52 x 4.2) compared to '01 with about 2.40 to 1 (.608 x 3.94)
I predict fourth gear will find a fair amount of usage on the '02 Ody, especially when loaded down.
wallstreet123456-gear ratios usually refer to the final drive ratio which is the relationship between wheel speed and engine speed. In a rear wheel drive layout, this is the ratio of the driveshaft speed relative to the axle speed. Obviously, the transmission gears affect the "effective" final drive ratio. Hope that makes sense!

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!

[This message has been edited by ody (edited 08-24-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ody (edited 08-24-2001).]

·
Registered
478 Posts
Intrepid175- Makes great sense to me, I realized my explanation was inadequate, but I was limited by time
The '02 Ody should feel stronger off the line with the lower gearing and additional power too, but 5th gear is REALLY overdriven-a stiff headwind would probably kick it down to 4th!

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts