Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Recently my 2nd Gen (1999) Ody developed a pretty bad rattle in the passenger's side of the dashboard. It came on suddenly and has not since worsened. It's mostly noticeable when driving over unimproved roads between 15-35 mph. It's loud, and sounds more like a click than a squeak or a vibration. It seems like it's coming from deep in the dash, like behind the cabin air filter or somewhere like that. Before I go crazy and tear the whole dash apart (yikes!), does anyone on here have experience with the same problem, or do you have any ideas on what could be happening here?
Thanks all,
Max

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'd jack up the car and check the passenger front tire areas for anything that might be loose to start off. Other than that have someone record the noise while you are driving to pin point the issue.

On the other hand check the glove box compartment to see if you put anything that that might rattles.... (I know I did)

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a metal brace mounted horizontally behind the glove box that has to be removed to change the cabin filter. Perhaps it was not properly reinstalled after a cabin filter change?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Hi All,
Recently my 2nd Gen (1999) Ody developed a pretty bad rattle in the passenger's side of the dashboard. It came on suddenly and has not since worsened. It's mostly noticeable when driving over unimproved roads between 15-35 mph. It's loud, and sounds more like a click than a squeak or a vibration. It seems like it's coming from deep in the dash, like behind the cabin air filter or somewhere like that. Before I go crazy and tear the whole dash apart (yikes!), does anyone on here have experience with the same problem, or do you have any ideas on what could be happening here?
Thanks all,
Max
have a passenger try to isolate the location of the noise while you are driving.

my teenager has come in handy for helping with that.

you positive the noise is up top and now down low, which would indicate chassis components.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Let's start with ensuring a common language. To me, "behind the cabin air filter" means on the far side of the filter, away from me sitting in the pass. seat. Which puts it on the engine side of the firewall. Is that what you mean to communicate?

Normally I would suggest removing GB contents and GB then doing a test drive. With you as passenger if noise still there. With a mechanics stethescope or facsimile like a cardboard tube (think wrapping paper core).

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
There is a metal brace mounted horizontally behind the glove box that has to be removed to change the cabin filter. Perhaps it was not properly reinstalled after a cabin filter change?
good point! this gen odyssey you have to remove screws for that brace to get the cover for the cabin filter off (stupid design).

If someone was lazy while changing the filter and didn't bother to secure the brace, that could make rattling noises.

as the others said here remove contents of glove box, and remove the plastic tabs that hold the glove box up, let it hang down and take a test drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts