Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Odyssey that I can hear a clunk in the front end when I a go over bumps at low speeds. The car has around 65k miles on it.

When I crawled underneath to find the source of this I found that the driver side driveshaft has some play near where it attaches to the transmission.

What could be the cause of this and what do I need to replace? Is there some sort of bearing here that can be replaced?

I am trying to get as much info up front before I start tearing into it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I'd be really surprised if the clunk was from the inner CV joint. Its considerably less likely to fail than the outer. I suppose it might be the output bearing on the transmission, but that's pretty unlikely as well.

By play, do you mean it goes up and down, or twists a bit? Do you mean the inner end of the joint, or the axle leading to the outer end.

We have the same clunk(I think), and I suspect its a suspension part.

How about finding a stretch of road or parking lot where you can reliably reproduce it, then checking if you get the noise while coasting over it in neutral. If you do, then you can pretty much rule out the transmission/driveshaft.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I crawled underneath to take another look. The play is up-and-down - not twisting.

If I shake up and down right on the inner CV joint (the big can), I can get maybe an 1/8" play. I get no play on the outer CV joint. It doesn't seem to be the trans bearing but it really is hard to tell.

I'm pretty sure that this is the clunking I hear - the suspension components seems pretty tight.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Compare it to the other inner CV joint. If its significantly different, you may indeed have a problem.

The bad news is that I'm pretty sure to do anything about that problem, the transmission needs to be disassembled.

·
Registered
303 Posts
We had a similar sound on our 2004 Ody, started after the tranny was replaced. I thought it might be the top strut mount, but the dealer wasn't able to replicate it :rolleyes:

Anyways, some time later the dealership said that some sort of front bushings (control arm?) had to be replaced because they were worn/cracked. I forget what they called it, but it seemed like a control arm bushing to me. It was covered under the extended warranty so I let them do it. After that the rattle/clunk went away. I seem to remember that they said it was about a $500 job!

Ours happened over small bumps at slower speeds, like pavement ripples at around 20, 30 mph.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies - I have been on vacation so I haven't kept up here.

@ SuperDad - Are you saying that in order to replace the inner CV joint that the transmission needs disassembling? Can you recommend a good service manual that has a procedure for doing this? My Haynes manual is pretty much junk when it comes to this sort of fix.

@joec42 - I am pretty confident that this clunking/rattling is in the driveline. I have been over all of the suspension and steering components and they see real tight - no play that I can discern.

·
Registered
50 Posts
We had a similar sound on our 2004 Ody, started after the tranny was replaced. I thought it might be the top strut mount, but the dealer wasn't able to replicate it :rolleyes:

Anyways, some time later the dealership said that some sort of front bushings (control arm?) had to be replaced because they were worn/cracked. I forget what they called it, but it seemed like a control arm bushing to me. It was covered under the extended warranty so I let them do it. After that the rattle/clunk went away. I seem to remember that they said it was about a $500 job!

Ours happened over small bumps at slower speeds, like pavement ripples at around 20, 30 mph.
I believe I have this exact problem! I bought a used 2000 Odyssey and I noticed the rumble/rattle. I had a mechanic check it out while having the 105k service done and he did not notice it. The previous owner had the transmission replaced about 10k ago, too. I wonder if the dealer would cover the control arm bushing under the extended warranty....

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi ,I have an 03' Odyssey and I have the same noise. I took to the dealer and was told it was my struts, i replaced both struts and I still have the noise. I don't know what else to do?

·
Registered
50 Posts
hi ,I have an 03' Odyssey and I have the same noise. I took to the dealer and was told it was my struts, i replaced both struts and I still have the noise. I don't know what else to do?
What did they charge yo ufor the struts? Just curious.

In this thread people are saying it is brake caliper pins. I've not tried the solution but I tend to believe them, because a mechanic who checked it out also said it's the calipers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The sway bar end links are bad for clunks and bangs.
This is correct, they get dry inside the links and make all kinds of noise. Yet when the are visually checked they look ok, and probably wont feel loose either. But this is most likely your noise. The reason it would show up after a transmission replacement, is when they get disturbed getting trans out, the grease inside the links gets displaced and causes the noise to show up. I recommend replacing with moog end-links since they are able to be greased.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is correct, they get dry inside the links and make all kinds of noise. // snip // I recommend replacing with moog end-links since they are able to be greased.
What would you estimate for cost for this work, for parts and labor?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The dealer wanted about 388 to 400 for each, but there is an honda online parts place named " majestic Honda", ended up paying 243 each..the dealer put them on for me. I don't think it is the calipers but it sounds like the ball joints or somewhere in that area. I hear the noise mostly on the left side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2003 Odyssey and have had clunking in the front end for sometime. I can feel the clunking in the floorboard with my feet. While I was replacing the struts I replaced the drivers side sway bar end link cause I messed up the tread. It needed it anyways. The pass side end link was not replaced The boot is cracked on the endlink on the pass side. While I had the sway bar completely disconnected I tried to find play in it near the bushings but I didnt think this was the problem. On these threads there was advice to replace lower control arms. I noticed the bushings were bad on the control arms so I replaced them without relief of my problem. I have the same exact play that act1292 has on the inner CV joint on the pass side. The outside of the driveshaft doesnt have play. The tierods feel tight. My van has almost 200,000 miles and I live on a dirt road with alot of potholes. I am gonna replace the other endlink and try that. Autozone has a reconditioned CV joint shaft for 58$ if you give them your old one. There is a video on Youtube and it doesnt look hard to change it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree that it is most likely the sway bar links. To isolate that and be sure that this is the problem, you can disconnect and remove both links and secure the sway bar with zipties. Test drive the van for a couple days, and see if it makes a noticeable difference in the clunking sounds. My sway bar links were both replaced, and the clunking sounds got a little quieter but still were there to a minor degree. Then I noticed the sway bar bushings were worn pretty bad and the bar had room to wobble in there a little (it was oblong). Anyways....Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I replaced the pass side endlink today. Its a little better the van doesnt clunk as much on paved roads. It didnt stop it from clunking on the dirt roads. I am going to order the sway bar bushings on ebay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I replaced the sway bar bushings on the 2003 odyssey this morning and it fixed 95% of the noise from the front end. Im just gonna drive it the way it is. They bushings are really cheap on ebay. It wasnt hard but there is not much room to get to the two bolts on each side. I used a swivel adapter between the socket and the ratchet to get to the back bolts. I didnt think this was gonna fix it cause the sway bar felt tight but it is much better now thanks for you help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts