Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 438 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi team,

I posted about the 9-speed rattle noise on acceleration back in 2017. The topic title was "What does your transmission sound like." It is still unclear where the noise is coming from, but it's there!!!

I've had my car back to the dealer several times over this and of course, they couldn't figure it out. A few months ago, they tried something, which required them to drain the oil way before the first oil change was due. That's fine. I went back today and had the oil changed to reset the maintenance schedule. Now the rattle noise is worse!!!

Folks, anyone who is hearing this rattle noise (and it DOES exist on all 9 speeds, unless you're deaf) must contact their Honda reps and bark very loudly. I don't mean "contact the dealer." They are stumped. This is a corporate level beef. If you're hearing that rattle on acceleration, please make a call or post an email message to Honda corp!!!!!!!!!!!!! This crapola can't go on. I've been listening to this racket for a year now and it isn't right. And to all you 10-speed owners, I know your cars are dead quite. You need not reply. Good for you. The 9-speeds are a pain in the ears, not to mention somewhere else.

EVERYONE MAKE SOME NOISE TO HONDA CORP !!!!!!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That' exactly the same thing with my 2018 ex, Rosskoss!!! I made contact with Honda Corp Canada a month or so ago. This is the same website that reads, "We'll get back to you in two business days or less." Bull****. I waited for three weeks before someone replied. The response was something like, "We're sorry you are unhappy with your Odyssey. Your concerns have been forwarded to our technical team." What a bunch of crap!!!!!! They have no intention of fixing this problem.

Do us all a favor and register a major complaint with Honda Corp. That's the only way we may see this issue resolved. I didn't spend $45,000 on a car that sounds like it has a severe engine knock on acceleration.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’m not sure if it’s the same rattling, but I had my dealer look at mine and he confirmed that the struts need to be replaced. Before it was only when I was making right turns, but now I hear the rattling over any little bump that I drive over even when driving straight on the local road. In addition to the struts, I’m going to have him check the shocks and anything else related to it because it seems to be getting worse over The past few days. I’m waiting to hear back from him to schedule my visit – he said that it’s not a safety issue so he released me to drive the 2018 odyssey even with the struts problem..

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting, Greekmother. Thanks for chiming in. My dealer disconnected the serpentine belt and ran the van around the lot - total silence!! It's only when the belt was re-connected and the engine given the extra load that the rattle sound came back. There's something not right in these ZF 9-speeds and I'm damn sick of being ripped off!!!

Bottom line: Honda has to step up to the plate and drop all the bull***! Collectively, we got screwed. For those who hear nothing, I'm happy for you but also very confused. Something's wrong and all we get is the daily dose of lies from the crapola department at Honda. For me, they've lost their tone after they Americanized the product. Should have left things in Japan.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hodna I dearly sympathize with you on this issue. I have a huge list of issues that mostly remains unresolved. My money is spent and I've been basically ignored. Here is a full list of my 2019 EX L issues that you may or may not have seen.

I suggest that all owners report all safety concerns to NHTSA.gov and hound AHMC to fix the issues on these very very expensive vehicles.

Here is my very long list of problems:

Hi David, The email below catalogs the current list of items that I have had issues/troubles with on my van. I will add another below that is not mentioned and the photos for it and the paint issue photos.

The other item of concern not listed below is the loss of anti-theft due to some loss of power supply message that comes up when you get into the vehicle. See photo. This item sporadically appears for no reason known to me. I do Hope that you or someone from Honda will get back in touch with me about this lengthy list. There are items that I feel are safety related that Honda needs to have the engineers look at and make changes to. Thank you for your help. Tony

________________________________ From: SERVICE MANAGER Sent: Friday, January 18, 2019 1:13 PM To: Subject: RE: Tony's 2019 Honda Odyssey - Telematic and Entertainment Head Unit Failure

It’s on the RO and no we did not see anything like that. The van sat from the time you left it until Monday afternoon, just for reference. From: Tony Sent: Friday, January 18, 2019 12:29 PM To: SERVICE MANAGER Subject: Re: Tony's 2019 Honda Odyssey - Telematic and Entertainment Head Unit Failure ________________________________ Hey SERVICE MANAGER I'm planning on picking the van up about 4 pm. Did you do anything with the "battery voltage critically low" or the "anti theft system disabled" messages that we talked about but didn't have typed out? Thanks Tony Sent from my account

On Jan 18, 2019, at 10:28 AM,wrote: Tony: My shop foreman and I have been doing all the heavy lifting on your van, and here’s where we are. I’d say it is ready for pickup until I hear back from Honda. I have reached out them for any engineering guidance or clarification on your concerns.

1.) Headlight and HVAC interior fan speed severely dims/decreases when the A/C clutch engages. Since HCoRH Service has performed some troubleshooting of ground and power connection torqueing I have driven the van and noticed that the lights inside and out still dim if the A/C clutch cycles. In the current case the clutch on the A/C will cycle if the humidity is really high due to all the rain we have been having. This produces the same dimming and flashing of the headlights as before. The other situation I have noticed is when the van is being driven at lower speeds and you abruptly let off the gas, that sometimes the engine will slightly stall due to transmission response or a combination of engine/transmission dynamics at lower speed and RPM. When this engine speed dip/stall....the lighting does the same thing inside and outside the vehicle. I am not doubting that this occurs for you at times, but Kerry and I could not recreate either condition and we did drive it in darkness. THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT DOESNT DRIVE MY VEHCLE MORE THAN A FEW MINUTES. THIS ITEM STILL IS APARENT WHEN THE A/C CLUTCH KICKS IN AND WHEN THE ENGINE STAMMERS IN CERTAIN LOW CRUISE/IMMEDIATE BRAKING SITUATIONS.

2.) The A/C capacity to cool at idle in 90 degree Fahrenheit and 85% humidity conditions after cooling fine at road speeds (55mph) for the prior hour without vacating the vehicle. Interior discharge temperatures were back of hand perceived with no chilling effect. As we have discussed, testing the AC will need to wait until it warms up, and we are hopeful what we did a few months ago corrected your concerns. I WILL BE VERIFYTING THIS ONE WHEN TEMPERATURES RETURN TO THE 90 DEG f RANGE. At this time HCoRH Service Department has recovered refrigerant, deep vacuumed the HVAC refrigerant system under heat soak, and recharged the HVAC refrigerant system precisely. The status of the effectiveness of removing heat from the entering under these same conditions after the service cannot be ascertained until next spring/summer until all weather conditions provide the opportunity to check the effectiveness of y'all's efforts.

3.) The front facia has deep folds that require a precision controlled painting process to prevent "shadow" areas of missing or too thinly coated painted areas. The passenger side of the front facia has areas such as this that are deficient on paint. At this time HCoRH Service has tried, at my request, to locate a new Black facia to swap the original from my vehicle with another original factory BLACK painted facia and have found that ONE black Odyssey van had this issue currently but has not made any additional progress. At last conversation I understood that another facia in BLACK was being searched out to replace the defective unit on my van but only at your location and through no other means. I do not want local shop paint on a new vehicle. We purchased a black van identical to yours from another dealer to swap facias, but it looked the same. I can paint it for you (which you do not want_, or wait until we get one in that looks better, but at this time it seems to be a characteristic of that product. I ATTACHED PHOTOS FOR THIS. I WANT AN ORIGINAL HONDA PAINTED BUMPER. I DO NOT WANT TO DEAL WITH PAINT ADHERANCE OR CHIPPING ISSUES LATER ON PER RESALE VALUE.

4.) Suspension strut assemblies on both the front struts popping loudly on sharp turns. I brought the vehicle in and drove it with you and Kelly the shop foreman and for the life of me could not get the van to produce the same loud pop and spring harmonic vibration response. This situation continues and happens at random without any predictability. This seems to be localized to the strut assembly with some type of binding and catastrophically breaking free and releasing enough torsion energy to literally cause oscillation vibration of the strut springs. Kerry and I have not been able to duplicate the noise. THIS ISSUE IS INTERMITTENT AND A SHORT DURATION DRIVE WILL NOT DETECT THIS. EITHER THE BEARING HUBS ARE NOT QUALITY OR THE SPRINGS ARENT SEATED PROPERLY. SOMETHING BINDS AND REALEASES.

5.) 9 speed Auto Transmission D5 to D4 downshifts....under ANY conditions during the downshift the driver has to deliberately take action to brake rather than rely on engine braking to prevent running into another vehicle if in a follow behind situation. If the driver relies on engine braking AT ALL, the top speed of the vehicle will greatly increase WHEN the objective all along was to gear down for engine braking effect. Since these new vans have no emergency brake pedal to use if all braking fails, I became very concerned when I noticed that the 9-speed revs the motor up and actually accelerates(pulls the vehicle forward) going down hill while downshifting. This is to such a level that the vehicle cannot engine brake itself. You absolutely HAVE to hit the brakes because it will not slow itself down. So, when coasting down a 6% and steeper grade with no accel pedal at all.....the transmission does not gear down on its own at all. It will free wheel. Which is fine. So, when the ACC cruise is engaged with the minimum follow distance set, on a 6% or steeper grade.....the transmission will sequentially downshift. Upon each downshift the engine throttle is blipped causing the vehicle to speed downhill a bit more.....and a bit more. When you get to the D5 to D4 downshift the throttle is agressively blippled and the van will speed ahead as if to pass. Sometimes speeds will reach 75MPH down hill and agressive braking is required by the driver. You then lose your preset ACC. You scare all your passengers. You scare the driver in the vehicle ahead of you. Knowing that I have no emergency brake pedal that I can modulate pressure/braking with the release handle on an incline SCARES ME. Once again, I am not doubting that this occurs, but I have not been able to recreate it while driving in this area. So. When using STANDARD cruise control set on a 6% or steeper grade.....the transmission will downshift. Upon each downshift the engine throttle is blipped causing the vehicle to speed downhill a bit more.....and a bit more. When you get to the D5 to D4 downshift the throttle is agressively blippled and the van will speed ahead as if to pass. Sometimes speeds will reach 75MPH down hill and agressive braking is required by the driver. You then lose your preset cruise control. Knowing that I have no emergency brake pedal that I can modulate pressure/braking with the release handle on an incline and no engine brake SCARES ME. So. When using Paddle Downshifting with NO Cruise. Downshifting manually using the minus paddle produces the same exact effect. Each sequential downshift from D7 slightly blips the throttle. Once you reach the D5 to D4 downshift the van aggressively accelerates for about 2 seconds and speeds forward. By that time the vehicle momentum has increased greatly along with velocity. The only thing you can do is brake when trying to slow this van down. Engine braking does not work. Its' always an over all speed increase. THE ISSUES WITH THIS ARE SAFETY RELATED. THERES NO REAL ENGINE BRAKING ON GRADES ABOVE 5%. IF THE BRAKES WERE TO FAIL YOU CANNOT MODULATE AN EMERGENCY BRAKE PEDAL AND GET THE VEHICLE STOPPED. I WOULD NEVER HAVE PURCHASED KNOWING THAT THIS WAS NOT A HONDA TRANSMISSION AND THAT IS ACTS THIS WAY.....

6.) Loss of telematics and entertainment interface and control unit function along with it not automatically powering down with ignition and accessory power cut. Right now I don't feel comfortable taking my van on any long trips without a 10mm wrench and socket/ratchet to be able to remove a battery cable to reset the head unit. This occurred one time and I am not sure if the recent software update has resolved it or not. I continue to keep tools in the van just in case. This has not occurred with us, but the condition is under review by American Honda at this time as we have had numerous complaints about it. THIS IS A RANDOM ISSUE AND REMAINS. I CARRY A 10MM WRENCH IN THE VAN IN CASE I'M TRAVELING AND IT MISBEHAVES AND I HAVE TO ISOLATE POWER TO RESET IT.

7.) Auto headlight function not working appropriately. If any retroreflective yellow or white warning signs are along the path of the van.....the lights dim inappropriately. The same is true if driving through a construction area and retroreflective taped barrels marking the limits of the travel way will cause frequent erratic operation of the bright/dim feature to the point of being out of control at times. Vehicles approaching on a sharper curve get blinded because the auto dimming feature cannot "see" the vehicle nor see the headlights until right in front of the van. Obviously designer/programmers are not utilizing the CMBS radar to let the auto dim computer know that a real vehicle is approaching or not. We were able to recreate this concern but if the system “sees” light coming at it, whether from another vehicle approaching or reflecting off a sign or object, it is going to dim the lights. This is a characteristic of the vehicle. As a sidebar, the dimming feature only works above 45MPH. SAFETY ISSUE FOR ME AND OTHER DRIVERS.

8.) CMBS applying brakes inappropriately and unexpectedly for no good reason. While approaching a bridge at the bottom of an incline/slope the CMBS system will often sound a warning and apply the brakes while approaching the bridge deck at the bottom of the hill. I have noticed that the bridge deck is always a concrete rebar reinforced style construction which is something the CMBS radar can definitely see. The same thing happens when vehicles approaching on a sharper curve at high speeds. The CMBS sees the approaching vehicle at what seems a impending crash vector and dangerous speed and applies the brakes and gives an audible alarm. However, there is no actual impact path between the van and the approaching vehicle. They are actually in their own lane with plenty of space between. There is no real reason for the CMBS action. Kerry and I were not able to duplicate this. A SHORT DURATION DRIVE IS NOT GOING TO SIMULATE THE CONDITIONS NECCESSARY FOR THIS. THIS IS ALSO A SAFETY ISSUE.

9.) The seat heaters don't seem to be heating on remote start. After having the van on remote start for a full five minutes, the seats are not warm at all upon a cold morning entry. When manually activating seat heating on HI, the seats are hot enough to need to turn them down after 45 seconds. Your van behaves exactly as others on the lot. The van does look at outside temps and when you push the start button after using remote start, the heaters are on at varying levels depending on temperatures. I do not know the parameters though. THE SEAT HEATER PROGRAMMING NEEDS TO BE MORE AGGRESSIVE TO KEEP THE SEATS FROM BEING COLD WHEN YOU GET IN!!! I DONT CARE THAT IT RESPONDS LIKE OTHERS ON THE LOT. THE FORUMS SPEAK ABOUT THIS ISSUE AS WELL.

10.) Cold air intrusion. The passenger door more so than the driver door area has a very cold draft coming from somewhere that causes the driver and passenger hip and thigh area to be so cold you need a blanket or coat over your legs to be in the vehicle until it gets completely warmed up. Kerry removed both front door panels and resealed the seal on the right one. The left one was intact. THIS ISSUE SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN CORRECTED. 11.) Side Mirrors No Longer Tilt down on Reverse The driver and passenger door mirrors no longer tilt when the vehicle is shifted into reverse. The mirror on the side that the mirror control switch is pointing to tilts down when put in reverse. I DID NOT REALIZE THE MIRROR RESPOSITIONER L/R SWITCH HAD TO BE ON L OR R FOR THIS TO WORK. THIS ITEM IS CLOSED AND NOW THAT I'M EDUCATED ON HOW IT WORKS IT WORKS BETTER THAN BEING FORCED TO HAVE THE MIRRORS TILT WHEN YOU DONT WANT THEM TILTED DOWN . KUDOS TO WHOEVER SET THIS UP PROPERLY AND LOGICALLY.

12.) Rear Passenger Side Tire Slow Air Leak Since the purchase date the rear passenger tire has required additional air added almost every time the vehicle is driven. It seems to leak almost 1/2PSI per day based on recollection of last inflation and how many pounds of make up are required. There was a nail in the tire and we used a plug patch to repair it. It needed to be done so I approved it; if you do not wish to pay for it I will do it as a courtesy. $32.95 is the normal fee. THIS VAN HAD A SLOW LEAK FROM DAY ONE ON PURCHASE AND COULDNT FIGURE IT OUT TILL WELL INTO THE FUTURE. I DECLINED TO PAY FOR THE REPAIR SINCE I KNEW IT WAS LIKE THIS FROM DAY ONE. IF IT HAD BEEN RETAINING PRESSURE FROM DAY ONE I WOULD HAVE SIMPLY HAD IT FIXED FOR FREE AT DISCOUNT TIRE WHERE I HAVE ALL MY TIRE WORK DONE.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went to the dealer because of this issue in March. My post: https://www.odyclub.com/forums/81-2018-odyssey/352975-2019-odyssey-acceleration-chatter-noise.html
They checked the van for about 1 hour and gave me the report: Nothing abnormal found or heard.
They told me, if I came back for the same complaint, they will charge me the inspection fee.

I just wrote an email to Honda Canada, hope they will do something to help us solve this issue.

This is the email:

The noise only occurs upon acceleration or uphills by pressing the gas padal solwly and gently, like speed up 1km,2km,5km....slowly. When the speed up to 28-30km, I can not hear the noise. It only happens when the engine's rotation speed is around 1000-1350 RPM.

1- The noise only happens when the engine is warm. The first time I start the engine in the moring I can't hear the noise. But after about 3-5 minutes, it sounds.
2- The noise sounds like KrKrKr... or GaGaGa... Like something is shaking or knocking. Yes, it sounds like a tractor.
3- I went to the dealer, also showed them the Youtube video (exactly the same situation), they checked the car for almost 1 hour but they couldn't figure it out.
4- Hold the brake and press the gas padal gently can reproduce the noise.
5- All the heat shields are not loose.So the noise is not from the heat shields.
6- It only happens on 9-speed transmistion Odyssey.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scripit, the second video (0:15 seconds) is exactly what I'm hearing on my 9-speed as well. With the help from other forum members, I'm starting to believe the noise originates from the serpentine belt circuit. As mentioned earlier, my dealer took my serpentine belt off and drove the car around the lot. There was dead silence. It was only when the belt was re-installed that the noise returned. If it was coming from the transmission, the noise should have been there when the belt was off - although there is one exception - the noise can still be from the transmission but only when it must not only move the vehicle but also compete with the extra serpentine belt load. It also sounds like a lose engine mount, but then we'd hear it all the time.

Wherever the noise is coming from, Honda needs to act. The last communication I had with Honda Corp was about one year ago. All the nice lady said was that, "They were aware of it." Either they are aware of it and can't bare the expense of fixing it, or they don't know how to fix it and are using this canned excuse to get me and others off their back.

This will be my last Honda.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I was comparing Pacifica, Sienna and Odyssey, I watched so many comparation video. The most important reason is the new Odyssey use the very high yield strength steel as its frame.
But, I never think about the engine neither the transmission cause their reliability have been verified for such long time.
Since we already report this issue yo Honda, they can't just sit there and ignore it. They will have to report this issue to their engineering Department.
I will update if I got any feedback from Honda Canada.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds good, Scripit. Thanks...and perhaps I'll open another ticket about this. It will be my fourth! I wonder how many times we need to bitch about this until something is done??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Found something maybe useful:

Check out TSB 07-028 "Pinging, Rattling, or Squealing During Light Acceleration" in the 2006 TSB thread.
https://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-200...tml#post434264
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/A07-028.PDF

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hello. I joined the forum to get in on this discussion. I became an Odyssey owner yesterday (after owning a Sienna SE for 5 years). I took delivery (from a Toyota dealer!) of a 2018 EX-L Navi with 30,000 kms. On the way home I heard the knocking sound, exactly like in your video. I didn't hear it during the test drive but hearing it loud and clear now. Only difference is, mine seems louder before the engine reaches operating temperature.

I made an audio recording of the noise and then came searching to see if others have the same problem...and sure enough.

Guess contact a dealer in the next couple of days and see what they have to say. Not holding out much hope after reading this forum.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is it confirmed that it does/does not also happen on the 10spd transmissions as well? Someone mentioned it doesn't but how do we know (forum feedback?)

Seems like a very similar issue to what I heard about ~9 years ago while researching sedans. Complaints were from 2007ish Lexus 220s, see link
youtube.com/watch?v=jdaakGqzTP0 (Comments say it's due to fuel injectors on the Lexus - and other cars)

My 2004 Sienna also makes more noises after starting until the engine is warm (only a couple minutes). 200,000km and still works fine so it's not 'faulty'.

If we can find similar noises in dozens of makes and models what would make us think that something is faulty rather than this is a noise due to normal operation?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Is it confirmed that it does/does not also happen on the 10spd transmissions as well? Someone mentioned it doesn't but how do we know (forum feedback?)

Seems like a very similar issue to what I heard about ~9 years ago while researching sedans. Complaints were from 2007ish Lexus 220s, see link
youtube.com/watch?v=jdaakGqzTP0 (Comments say it's due to fuel injectors on the Lexus - and other cars)

My 2004 Sienna also makes more noises after starting until the engine is warm (only a couple minutes). 200,000km and still works fine so it's not 'faulty'.

If we can find similar noises in dozens of makes and models what would make us think that something is faulty rather than this is a noise due to normal operation?

Deuce D,

One reason is that our 2004 Honda Odyssey never made any such noises. Nor does our 2008 Acura TL. Maybe we are supposed to accept these noises in later models? Just saying....

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The cause of the noise is undetermined at this time. Initial thoughts were that it was 9-speed related. Some forum members, who seem quite knowledgeable, think the rattle originates from the serpentine belt circuit.

It's up to Honda to figure this out, but they've had their collective idiotic heads buried in the sand. Personally, I have had four tickets open about this with Honda Canada. So far, all I've had for a response is, "We're aware of the problem." That comes straight from the crapola department.

Where do we go from here?

·
Registered
125 Posts
It might make a good Sienna commercial!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Same complaint on carcomplaints.com for 2018 Odyssey Engine Problems. No resolution. I can't post the full link.

1 - 20 of 438 Posts