Honda Odyssey Forum banner

521 - 539 of 539 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great question. My dealer has a lifetime power train warranty on all new vehicles, so I didn't go for any extended warranty. However, I'm not planning on keeping the rattle box for much longer. Taking a bit of cash hit for some peace of mind is probably worth it. Honda still claims there is no problem with the noise and that it's normal. There is no way to convince them that it isn't unless and until the power trains start to fail.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you don't have the knocking noise now, you never will. Apparently, and thanks to Austin_n_ATX, some engines contain the wrong sized main bearings. If your engine doesn't knock, it means the engine received the correct bearings. A short block is everything below the head, down.
That's good to hear. I was getting scared reading all these posts! Just bought a 2019 ex brand new. No knock or tapping noise to be heard of. Honestly dont feel any issues with the 9 speed hopefully it all got fixed by now.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #523
Do you think it is a good idea to purchase an extended warranty to at least protect the van a bit longer and hope Honda can figure out a solution of this issue within the extended warranty period?
That's a good question. I understand that if the engine fails due to the cause of the rattle and you're out of warranty, they will replace the engine at no charge. That's what they've told me from day one. On the other hand, an extended warranty is probably a good idea for the rest of the car. With all the new crap they put on these cars, it's nothing to drop a $grand on repairs for just the simple stuff.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Do you think it is a good idea to purchase extended warranty to at least protect the van a bit longer and hope Honda can figure out a solution of this issue within the extended warranty period?
I am going to play the dumb person on this question. I do not think Honda will do a recall on Honda's beyond 36K. Even if you have Honda Care. I know they will do safety recalls, but anything else they would let it slide until your Honda has that problem. I would call Honda Service Department on this question, like I said I'm in the dark about this.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #525
DJVAN is correct. The engine rattle noise will never be on the recall list because it's not a safety issue - although one could debate that! If the engine fails and bits start flying out everywhere due to a cracked block, the person on the receiving end of the projectiles from your engine at 70 mph may beg to differ with Honda. They haven't had one engine failure yet, beyond the annoying noise. After the first engine blows apart and does damage elsewhere, their attitude will change.

The mechanics who have fixed the odd noise-making engine have seen the damage to cylinders 1, 2, and 3. One claimed that the connecting rod was hitting the internal side of the engine block. Tell me that's not going to be a future problem!

·
Registered
14 Posts
DJVAN is correct. The engine rattle noise will never be on the recall list because it's not a safety issue - although one could debate that! If the engine fails and bits start flying out everywhere due to a cracked block, the person on the receiving end of the projectiles from your engine at 70 mph may beg to differ with Honda. They haven't had one engine failure yet, beyond the annoying noise. After the first engine blows apart and does damage elsewhere, their attitude will change.

The mechanics who have fixed the odd noise-making engine have seen the damage to cylinders 1, 2, and 3. One claimed that the connecting rod was hitting the internal side of the engine block. Tell me that's not going to be a future problem!
How early on did you hear the noise? I have a 2019 ex and it's very quiet. Build date is June 2019. Only have 100 miles on it so far but no rattle noise.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #527
How early on did you hear the noise? I have a 2019 ex and it's very quiet. Build date is June 2019. Only have 100 miles on it so far but no rattle noise.
Mine was purchased in June 2017. It came that way from the factory because the wrong main bearings were installed, according to the best information to date. If yours is quiet now, you're lucky. It will stay that way because the problem is not with defective parts, just the wrong ones being installed. Meanwhile, the rest of us have to live with it because Honda will not spend the money to stop us from talking about their noisy engines!! Actually, they replaced my lower block with the same wrong bearings. It's still noisy. Why in God's name they would spend one full week of tech time in the shop to install the same incorrect parts is beyond me. I suspect that when they replaced my short block (summer 2019) they didn't know what the issue was. At least they tried. All the same, those effected deserve a new engine - period!!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Mine was purchased in June 2017. It came that way from the factory because the wrong main bearings were installed, according to the best information to date. If yours is quiet now, you're lucky. It will stay that way because the problem is not with defective parts, just the wrong ones being installed. Meanwhile, the rest of us have to live with it because Honda will not spend the money to stop us from talking about their noisy engines!! Actually, they replaced my lower block with the same wrong bearings. It's still noisy. Why in God's name they would spend one full week of tech time in the shop to install the same incorrect parts is beyond me. I suspect that when they replaced my short block (summer 2019) they didn't know what the issue was. At least they tried. All the same, those effected deserve a new engine - period!!!
You would have thought they would have pulled the oil pan, pulled the rod caps one by one and the main bearing caps in the initial hunt to find the noise maker. Sometimes the obvious is right in front of them and the money makes them blind.

·
Registered
32 Posts
... All the same, those effected deserve a new engine - period!!!
I agree with this 100%.

I have been dreading taking my 2019 Elite in to have the service department address the engine knock, mis-charged AC refrigerant and pulsating brakes. I took it in yesterday for the 3rd row power outlet recall and decided to begin the battle. I asked them to listen for and diagnose the engine knock after they did the recall and oil change. They said they'd call me.

They called 2 hours later - recall and oil change completed - and....

(Wait for it....)

... they will replace the engine under warranty to resolve the knock issue.

No BS responses (i.e. - the tech doesn't hear the knock or the knock is normal engine sound, etc.). It was a 30 second conversation - our technicians confirmed the engine knock and we will replace the engine with a new one to resolve the issue.

I got lucky with this dealer - (Hugh White Honda in Columbus).

I am hoping I get a two-fer out of this - a new engine (minus the knock) AND a properly charged AC system (assuming that the refrigerant in the AC system is evacuated as part of the engine replacement).

I had been dreading this for quite awhile due to reading other posts about the nightmare struggles with dealers and Honda to get the engine knock resolved. I feel incredible relief that 2 of my 3 major issues with my $45,000 vehicle are being addressed under warranty with no knock-down, drag-out tooth & nail battle involved. (I will work on the brake pulsation issue after these 2 issues have been addressed).

Everything else has been great with this vehicle for the most part - (I am content to tolerate the Variable Cylinder Management and Auto Idle Stop nuisances). But, had I been forced to battle for this engine replacement, I was going to dump the Odyssey, eat the depreciation loss and go back to Subaru - life is too short and my sanity too important - that potential scenario surely would drive me mad, literally.

I am fortunate that I am satisfied with my experience with this dealer's service department and staff so far - now if the techs could just remember to put my tire valve stem caps back on, that would be fantastic.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I agree with this 100%.

I have been dreading taking my 2019 Elite in to have the service department address the engine knock, mis-charged AC refrigerant and pulsating brakes. I took it in yesterday for the 3rd row power outlet recall and decided to begin the battle. I asked them to listen for and diagnose the engine knock after they did the recall and oil change. They said they'd call me.

They called 2 hours later - recall and oil change completed - and....

(Wait for it....)

... they will replace the engine under warranty to resolve the knock issue.

No BS responses (i.e. - the tech doesn't hear the knock or the knock is normal engine sound, etc.). It was a 30 second conversation - our technicians confirmed the engine knock and we will replace the engine with a new one to resolve the issue.

I got lucky with this dealer - (Hugh White Honda in Columbus).

I am hoping I get a two-fer out of this - a new engine (minus the knock) AND a properly charged AC system (assuming that the refrigerant in the AC system is evacuated as part of the engine replacement).

I had been dreading this for quite awhile due to reading other posts about the nightmare struggles with dealers and Honda to get the engine knock resolved. I feel incredible relief that 2 of my 3 major issues with my $45,000 vehicle are being addressed under warranty with no knock-down, drag-out tooth & nail battle involved. (I will work on the brake pulsation issue after these 2 issues have been addressed).

Everything else has been great with this vehicle for the most part - (I am content to tolerate the Variable Cylinder Management and Auto Idle Stop nuisances). But, had I been forced to battle for this engine replacement, I was going to dump the Odyssey, eat the depreciation loss and go back to Subaru - life is too short and my sanity too important - that potential scenario surely would drive me mad, literally.

I am fortunate that I am satisfied with my experience with this dealer's service department and staff so far - now if the techs could just remember to put my tire valve stem caps back on, that would be fantastic.
I hope this will actually fix the problem, however not to be a disappointment to you, I highly doubt they will give you an new engine. More than likely it will just be a short block. There probably not nothing wrong with your head, intake mainfold, injection system, all the sensors, throttle body. But that will work as long as they can seal the engine up again and make it not to have oil and antifreeze and exhaust leaks. Please keep us appraised of what transpires.

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #532
I agree with DJVAN. I received a new short block but with the same crappy, wrong bearings so my problem persists. A short block is very labor-intensive. Mine was in the shop for five days keeping one tech busy the whole time. It may actually be cheaper to just disconnect everything and drop a new engine in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I hope this will actually fix the problem, however not to be a disappointment to you, I highly doubt they will give you an new engine. More than likely it will just be a short block. There probably not nothing wrong with your head, intake mainfold, injection system, all the sensors, throttle body. But that will work as long as they can seal the engine up again and make it not to have oil and antifreeze and exhaust leaks. Please keep us appraised of what transpires.
Yeah - will report back as this unfolds.

Knowing what I know of others' experiences with block only replacement, I specifically asked them to clarify what is being replaced and was assured that what has been ordered is an entire (and new) engine.

My big concern now is what my future possibly holds in store for me in terms of possible (likely) repeat trips back to the dealer after the engine swap for the "oops, yeah, looks like this wasn't re-connected or that wasn't torqued properly" scenarios.

I have already warned the Mrs. that even though it is scheduled to get a new engine, depending on what happens afterwards, there is still a high likelihood of me dumping this thing...

10 years ago, who-da-thunk a Honda forum would be full of such stories of defect and shoddy build quality?

I miss my old Element - wish they didn't stop making them. Best car I ever had - 11 years of issue-free reliability. Shoulda kept it but I wanted the new safety technology and the room to prepare for a child on the way.

LOVED that car!

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #535
Hi Stevenmax45. Thanks for the idea. It was entertained about a year or so ago and made no difference. I did take your idea up with our service manager. He said that for a long time the Honda ignition systems have been computer-controlled. That is, the timing varies according to the fuel grade. The knock we're hearing is caused by an incorrectly sized main bearing in the front of the engine. The real challenge is getting Honda to do something about it because the fix is very pricy and is not on the safety list, which I would debate VERY heavily! If you were driving down the highway at normal speeds and your engine blows apart, there would be all kinds of debris flying everywhere. They can't tell me that it has nothing to do with safety!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
OK - the work was done in two days and I picked up the 2019 Odyssey Elite and the knock appeared to be gone. However, I don't believe the 10 minutes I drove it home and the subsequent 10 minute drive to the Subaru dealership (to trade it in) were enough of a sample to see if the fix is permanent.

Below is the work order.

I feel obligated to note that when I dropped it off to get the work done, the technician that was assigned to the work order actually met me in the service pull in bay, introduced himself and confidently explained the work he was going to do and the parts that would be replaced. His "carside manner" was quite commendably calming and reassuring - I gave him specific kudos in my visit feedback.

Good luck to everyone.

·
Registered
171 Posts
OK - the work was done in two days and I picked up the 2019 Odyssey Elite and the knock appeared to be gone. However, I don't believe the 10 minutes I drove it home and the subsequent 10 minute drive to the Subaru dealership (to trade it in) were enough of a sample to see if the fix is permanent.

Below is the work order.

I feel obligated to note that when I dropped it off to get the work done, the technician that was assigned to the work order actually met me in the service pull in bay, introduced himself and confidently explained the work he was going to do and the parts that would be replaced. His "carside manner" was quite commendably calming and reassuring - I gave him specific kudos in my visit feedback.

Good luck to everyone.
Thank you for posting and for the chuckle re: the trade. If Honda ever repairs the knock in my 2018 (and my investments rebound!), I will likely be doing the same thing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow. The similarity in VIN is crazy. Was everyone else in here from assembly plant B (character 11) and serial number starting with 0 (last 6 characters)? If so it should be really easy to identify which ones are lemons.

My knock was gone for a few days but is back now with the warmer whether. Does anyone know if you can go to a different dealer to get warranty work done? I could take a drive from SE Michigan to Columbus if yours is fixed, Miller. I believe my dealer will say they’ve done all they can.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Below is the work order.

Good luck to everyone.

LOL, I also got mine fixed the other day by spending an hour in a Toyota dealership.

521 - 539 of 539 Posts