Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 odyssey rear hatch has lost pressure in one or both of the support gas pneumatic cylinders. Has anyone replaced the support arms and is it an easy DIY?

I am good with repairs but don't know if it needs a special tool or something. I don't want to have to go to dealer if I don't have to.

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
There is a recall on those struts and your dealer will replace for free. I just had mine done prior to failure because I think the recall ends this summer. Go today!

·
Registered
6,074 Posts

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
1. Try if dealer can fix it for free?
It is a 5 yr old van, so I doubt they fix it for free.

2. If not, then DIY.
Everything you need is in the attached picture below.
Order new struts from dealer or online Honda stores.
Always replace both sides at the same time.

PN is 74820-SHJ-A01 (same strut for LX and EX), approx. $35/each strut
:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ODYSSEY&catcgry2=2005&catcgry3=5DR+LX&catcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=TAILGATE

PROCEDURE:

* Get a piece of 2x4 wood (or broomstick) long enough to support the tailgate when you do it. The tailgate is heavy!!!
2X4 wood is better. Just make sure your foot does not kick the 2x4 while working on the tailgate!

* With the help of an assistant, use a flat-tip screwdriver (A) to pry the support strut clips (B) from each end of the support strut (C) at the tailgate and body, then release the support strut from the pivot bolts (D). Do not remove the clips from the support strut.

* Set the clips (A) to the original position, then reattach the support strut (B) on the pivot bolts (C) by pushing the support strut onto the pivot.

PS: Stabilus is Honda OEM tailgate strut.
Stabilus also makes tailgate struts for Volvo, BMW etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Do a search...There's another thread about this. A rear hatch strut in my 05 EX failed last week and was replaced under our Hondacare warranty.

The recall affects only Touring models.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for this; the struts just failed on our 2005 van, and the local dealership is quoting over $58 per strut! I'm glad to know I can get them cheaper online, and that it's not a complicated fix...my kids and I are getting tired of having to hold up the tailgate while we load the trunk - that sucker is HEAVY!

1. Try if dealer can fix it for free?
It is a 5 yr old van, so I doubt they fix it for free.

2. If not, then DIY.
Everything you need is in the attached picture below.
Order new struts from dealer or online Honda stores.
Always replace both sides at the same time.

PN is 74820-SHJ-A01 (same strut for LX and EX), approx. $35/each strut
:
Honda Automotive Parts

PROCEDURE:

* Get a piece of 2x4 wood (or broomstick) long enough to support the tailgate when you do it. The tailgate is heavy!!!
2X4 wood is better. Just make sure your foot does not kick the 2x4 while working on the tailgate!

* With the help of an assistant, use a flat-tip screwdriver (A) to pry the support strut clips (B) from each end of the support strut (C) at the tailgate and body, then release the support strut from the pivot bolts (D). Do not remove the clips from the support strut.

* Set the clips (A) to the original position, then reattach the support strut (B) on the pivot bolts (C) by pushing the support strut onto the pivot.

PS: Stabilus is Honda OEM tailgate strut.
Stabilus also makes tailgate struts for Volvo, BMW etc.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I suspect these are about the same as my previous minivan's struts were to replace... which are pretty easy... These do fail over time.

Until you DO replace them, get a small pair of vice grips to put in the back of your van... use them when you put the decklid up - clamp the vice grips on the center of the strut so that the upper portion of the strut slides down to sit on the vice grips...

(hope I have this remembered correctly since mine's at the dealership and can't take a look and I hope you can make sense of what I'm suggesting...)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I suspect these are about the same as my previous minivan's struts were to replace... which are pretty easy... These do fail over time.

Until you DO replace them, get a small pair of vice grips to put in the back of your van... use them when you put the decklid up - clamp the vice grips on the center of the strut so that the upper portion of the strut slides down to sit on the vice grips...

(hope I have this remembered correctly since mine's at the dealership and can't take a look and I hope you can make sense of what I'm suggesting...)
Good idea; thank you! Dh is off to Autozone to pick up the lifts, which have apparently gone up considerably in price since this thread started! (I wanted them this weekend, which precluded ordering them for $35.41ea from HondaAutomotiveParts.com) Local prices ranged from $39.99ea at Autozone to $66ea at the most expensive dealership!

·
Registered
17 Posts
All,

My trunk supports on my 07 Ody Touring just gave up the ghost this weekend and I was looking to replace them w/ some from Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts.

However, I have a question -- are there any compatibility issues w/ using these aftermarket parts on the touring w/ the auto lift gate? I.e. will the replacement shock be too strong and cause the auto lift gate to have issues?

Cheers,

-ben

·
Registered
17 Posts
FYI, I went ahead and got a 3rd party replacement set from Advance Auto Parts ("Strong Arm" brand), and they fit very well. It does seem that this aftermarket set supports a bit more force than the OEM ones though, so the auto-hatch mechanism initially sounded like it had to work a bit harder. After a few times opening/closing though, it seems pretty smooth now.

I guess time will tell.

Cheers,

-ben

1 - 11 of 11 Posts