Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 03 EXL with 64K feels like its not taking the bumps as good as it used to. I replaced the rear shocks with Sensa tracs last week due to 1 that was blown. The ride seems a little better, but I know if I changed the fronts, it would improve it more.
I like the Monroe quick struts. The price on Rock Auto is $284 for a pair shipped to my house. I was going to order them, but first I wanted to see how hard it was loosening the bolts and the stabilizer links. Fortunately I was able to borrow a few tools from work including a 1/2" drive breaker bar and a 22M socket. The bolts broke free with no problem, and I took the advice from someone on this forum to loosen the stabilzer bar by attaching a 19MM open end wrench behind the bolt, instead of grabbing the bolt in the front with a 6MM allen key, and that broke free with no problem.
Also the tower bolts and the brake/ABS line bolts broke free also.So now I feel confident I can do this, I am ordering the parts in a few days.
Just wondering if anyone who already did this job has some advice.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
It's pretty straight forward when replacing as an assembly. Sounds like you got all the nuts broke loose. the only ones troublesome for me were the stabilizer ones but they weren't too bad. I would suggest you look at the lower control arm bushings while in there, they start to crack after awhile. Obviously you'll need an alignment after, I used a vertical magnetic level stuck to the disk to get it close. I can't believe the OEM assemblies are almost $500 a side now.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I could not justify spending that kind of money for OEM strut assemblies on a 9 year old car. The Monroe quick struts are definately a good value.

How did you adjust the alignment with a level? I thought the only adjustments were the toe in/out. Can you adjust camber/caster on these vans?

·
Registered
409 Posts
I used a 14mm magnetic nut setter to start the tower mounting nuts through the holes in the cowling. Get the window wipers out of the way to gain unrestricted access through the cowl holes on the drivers side ... just stop the wipers at their peak.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Yeah, I could not justify spending that kind of money for OEM strut assemblies on a 9 year old car. The Monroe quick struts are definately a good value.

How did you adjust the alignment with a level? I thought the only adjustments were the toe in/out. Can you adjust camber/caster on these vans?
I got the OEM assembly right before the price jumped hugely. I figured the original went 10 years, I should never have to touch them again if OEM.

As for the level, with the wheels straight I stuck one of those 1 foot magnetic levels vertically on the rotor to see what it was before the strut was replaced. Then after the new one was in I got it as close as I could to where it was. There is a good amount of camber movement on where the struts attach both top and bottom. At least this gets it close. When I got it aligned the numbers were not off too far.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just did Quik Struts on both sides of my 2001 EX (162K on orig tranny) last night. It is pretty straighforward, especially if you have all the right tools and correct sized sockets. A couple weeks ago I gave all the fasteners a good shot of PB Blaster and broke most of them loose except the stabilizer links. I did put PB on the links and had little trouble with them last night.

The magnetic nut setter is a great idea. I used a magnetic pickup to get the old nuts out of the strut top area and then taped each nut into my socket to install the new struts. It worked out OK that way. It helps to have an extra set of hands when you take the old strut/spring out of the wheel well and put the new one in. Other than that, it wasn't particularly tough.

I have an appointment for an alignment Monday morning, but the van runs straight down the road, so I suspect it's not out by much.

Another handy hint besides parking the wipers in the up position is to close the hood to gain access to the highest of the three holes at the top. I found that made it much easier to get that nut off and the new one on. Also, not that it makes any difference, but the original 3 nuts at the top were 14mm and the Quik Struts had 15mm.

All in all, I think it took me 3 -1/2 hours or so, with a break for dinner in there. Like most jobs the first side took about twice as long as the second.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ready to order the quick struts, but I found them on e-bay for $35 cheaper than Rock Auto (including shipping)

2 Monroe Shock Front Left And Right Quick Strut Assembly | eBay

(note the left part # is incorrect, but I e-mailed them to confirm if it was just a typo)

Has anyone ordered the struts through e-bay before? I've ordered many parts, just not something this big.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just replaced my whole suspension on Saturday. Take the advice give here above. Stop the wipers in the up position. Make sure the whole front end is off the ground & safely supported on jack stands.
The plastic cowl cover can be pulled up some to get a better view of the top of the strut.

In the picture above, there is a small round plastic plug (behind the person's hand) that can be popped out. The rubber strip is held in place with some tabs. Just pull them gently up. This will allow you to pull up the cowl cover some but not completely remove it. Also pop out the plug holding the washer fluid hose to give you some additional room to pull up the cover.
I wedged something in there to help hold it up. This makes installing the new struts a lot easier than trying to blindly start a nut onto the top of the strut.
Your install should go smooth since you are buying an assembled strut. I had to take the old ones apart in order to reuse the upper strut plate for the new strut bushing.
Make sure the strut mounting plate is oriented correctly. The top studs are spaced differently so the plate will only fit in 1 direction. It helps to have an extra set of hands to install the new strut. The strut assembly is heavy, so if you're hoisting it up, have a second person help alight the top studs through the holes & quickly start the nuts to support the strut.
Reassembly is pretty straightforward. Make sure everything is tightened down before you put the wheel back on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts