Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Real" Continental TrueContact Tour vs ControlContactTour A/S Plus (Discount Tire)

Anyone have experience or knowledge between these tires? I was reading the tests and reviews on TireRack for the TrueContacts and they seemed like a good A/S tire with better snow ability than my current Defenders (yes I know that best is to get real snow tires). Then at the Discount Tire site they recommend this ControlContactTour A/S Plus which appears to be a tire made only for DiscountTire. While I would like to say they are "the same" or a "house brand special" one look at the tread pictures shows they have completely different tread.

I called my local DT store and asked the guy. He said "ours is the same, but better" (of course he did). Same quality and treadlife but "closer traction blocks which provide improved traction" or something like that.

For whatever it's worth, I like the tests and reviews that I can read on TireRack as they try to put some numbers to it, and of course there are no ratings or tests on these Discount Tire versions.

The price is similar between the two, so my gut would be to have DT order the "real" ones rather than the store models, unless someone had any reason to believe that the store model was actually better in some way.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi, Hogan773-

First and foremost, thank you for checking in with your local Discount Tire regarding new Continental tires for your vehicle. We know there are a lot of competitors to choose from in the tire and wheel space, so thank you for the opportunity!

Second, I apologize for how your question was not answered in a thorough manner. Stating that the tire is better without providing facts leaves a lot to be desired. Thank you for posting this here; we have third-party test data that I think will be beneficial in your decision.

PM coming your way!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Hogan773-

First and foremost, thank you for checking in with your local Discount Tire regarding new Continental tires for your vehicle. We know there are a lot of competitors to choose from in the tire and wheel space, so thank you for the opportunity!

Second, I apologize for how your question was not answered in a thorough manner. Stating that the tire is better without providing facts leaves a lot to be desired. Thank you for posting this here; we have third-party test data that I think will be beneficial in your decision.

PM coming your way!
Thanks

I also did an online chat with Continental tire and they indicated that the two tires were similar (and thus the Discount Tire version certainly isn't "worse" or a cheaper knockoff to the "real thing").

Thanks for responding here. I always end up going back to Discount Tire even though I am often tempted by Costco, because DT provides a good service and competitive pricing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I appreciate the follow-up and thank you for the kind words! If we can be of further assistance in any way please don't hesitate to let us know - we're here to help!

On a side note, we guarantee the lowest out the door price on all the tires we carry; if a competitor has a cheaper advertised out the door price we'll beat it :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, Hogan773-

PM coming your way!
Hi Discount Tire. I am in the exact same situation as Hogan773 (looking at the truecontact, was directed towards the control contact tour by Discount staff without too much additional information on the differences). Can you please send me whatever info you had sent Hogan? I also liked being able to see the truecontact reviews online wish I had the same for the controls...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thank you for reaching out, chawkski! We just replied to your PM, thank you again for the opportunity!

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Having been in the tire business I would never buy a "proprietary" tire model without there being significant savings or convenience factor involved, but that's just me. Proprietary models are tweaked from their original counterparts and generally for the purpose of either allowing the major chain store to sell them cheaper or at a higher profit margin compared to the original spec version.

·
Registered
51 Posts
We appreciate your feedback, pkrface.

As you're aware, tires are a product of compromise, or in other words, no single tire can score 5 out of 5 in all performance areas. Collaborating with manufacturers to produce exclusive products is common in the industry and allows retailers the opportunity to tailor specific performance attributes.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
We appreciate your feedback, pkrface.

As you're aware, tires are a product of compromise, or in other words, no single tire can score 5 out of 5 in all performance areas. Collaborating with manufacturers to produce exclusive products is common in the industry and allows retailers the opportunity to tailor specific performance attributes.
Absolutely agree...with price/profit margin being one of the primary purposes of an "exclusive" product. Many consumers assume that buying a "name brand" tire will result in them getting a premium product when in fact that is simply not true. Nearly every manufacturer has crappy products in their line up that get sold on name rather than true quality, and that is just as true of the flagship models available at "official" brand retailers as well as the big box and national tire chains. The best advice anyone tire shopping can be given is to find a trusted local tire expert to guide them through the process of choosing a tire. You can read online reviews until the cows come home, but unless that poster is driving a car similar to yours in a similar environment with a similar driving style that review is all but useless.

·
Registered
51 Posts
We agree, Pkrface - having a trusted tire expert is key. This is why we take additional steps to ensure we are able to provide the most accurate information to our customers. We third party test the tires for wet, dry, and winter traction, they are also tested for longevity and comfort. This allows our team to cater the tire buying experience to the customers true needs and driving habits. Also using data to include the local weather conditions, whether that be dry climate such as Phoenix AZ or a humid winter conditions that a customer would see in Syracuse NY, as these customers needs are going to wildly differ.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts