Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As is the case for all of us, I'm sure, the main reason I want the '02 Odyssey is for the safety of my two little ones (20 mo. & 4yrs) and I'd like to know if any of you have been in an accident (with your Ody) and care to relay the experience. Or, if you know someone else who was in an accident in thiers or you care to share accident and injury info. from your own research, please do. Thanks very much.

------------------
Currenly driving '00 MPV :( , but want to sell it for '02 Ody so bad! ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I wasn't in an accident but I saw it first hand. There was a really bad accident with an Ody and a smaller american car (don't remember what it was), but the end result was the Ody rolling over and ending up on it's side. It was an offset head-on crash, but the Ody held up very well and in fact, the driver got out and walked away from the van a little shaken, but that was it. There were no passengers in the back of the van, but it was that day seeing that accident that I knew I wanted my family in that van if we were in an accident. I was thoroughly impressed with how it held up.

Killroy
EX-L RRP Due 11/5

·
Registered
585 Posts
In that situation above; image a childseat *not* secured to the point that shaking it makes the whole vehicle shake and I think you'll quickly get the point as to whether you've secured your child's carseat adequately or not.

Add to that straps that aren't 'too tight' so junior won't feel cramped. I suspect at that point it will be too late but you'd come to the realization pretty quickly of just how important it is to 'weld' your child to their seat.

·
Registered
92 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hondaboy:
As is the case for all of us, I'm sure, the main reason I want the '02 Odyssey is for the safety of my two little ones (20 mo. & 4yrs) and I'd like to know if any of you have been in an accident (with your Ody) and care to relay the experience. Or, if you know someone else who was in an accident in thiers or you care to share accident and injury info. from your own research, please do. Thanks very much.

</font>
The whole story is somewhere under the general topic, "new members" posts, but here's the Reader's digest version. 45 mph ody (me) vs. 20+- Honda Accord (guy who ran stop sign.) Classic T bone. All damage to the ody was frontal and the air bags deployed. Most importantly, my 2 kids (3 & 5 yrs) did not budge and were not injured, just shaken up. They were in the middle seats in belt positioning, high back boosters that were tethered. My husband (passenger seat) was perfectly fine. I (driver) had injury to my right foot, left arm and right shoulder (a rotator cuff injury that still exists) all from braking and bracing. Van had 15k worth of damage but performed like a champ. The body guy said it did exactly what it was supposed to do. I can say from my experience that it is a safe vehicle. I feel strongly enough about it to buy a 3rd. I think you'll be happy with your choice. Safe travels

------------------
'99 CSS EX
'01 GG EX (SOLD!)
'02 GG EXL nav (southbound on the train)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts