Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed a trip from Indianapolis to Sarasota, FL and back in my new 02 (less than 3,000 miles) Odyssey. With three adults and one child, and luggage for all, we averaged 24 miles per gallon on the highway. This was at speeds between 75 and 80 mph (everyone was going this fast, honest!).

Can anyone one else share their mileage with a similar full load and higher speeds?

Also, my 02 runs about 2100 rpms at 75 mph in 5th gear. Is this typical?

Even when filling up a nearly empty (by the gas gauge) tank, I cannot pump anywhere near 20 gallons. It seems like my tank is about 16 gallons. Has anyone been able to pump 20 gallons?

·
Registered
59 Posts
BShell,
We took a trip in our '02 Ody and our numbers match very closely with yours. The gas tank will only take 15-15.5 gallons when the low fuel indicator comes up. This is common in all Odys it seems. The tank is 20 gallons though. This was discussed very throughly in another topic.

Larry

------------------------
'02 GG EX
'97 Explorer
'72 MG

[This message has been edited by Shadowman (edited 02-10-2002).]

·
Registered
254 Posts
i also get about 24mpg fully loaded, including a cargo box, at those speeds.

------------------
2000 lx fern grey with mods

·
Registered
55 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
It seems like my tank is about 16 gallons. Has anyone been able to pump 20 gallons?[/B]</font>
My wife ran our van dry and it took 19.5 gallons to get it moving again. All models have the same 20 gallon tank.

------------------
02 Odyssey Evergreen Pearl EX
98 Windstar LX
http://home.earthlink.net/~twolazydogs/ --- For Pictures and Gas Mileage History

·
Registered
134 Posts
The engineers intentionally designed the gas gauge to show empty early. Habitually running the tank completely dry can eventually damage the fuel pump, because the fuel itself is what cools the pump and keeps it from overheating. By the way, this is not unique to the Ody. The best way to deal with it if your trying to increase range is to reset your trip odometer when the gas light come on. Then you can drive about 50 miles and still have a couple of gallons to keep the fuel pump cool.

------------------
'91 Sentra SE-R
'57 Chevy Belair Sport Coupe.
If at first you don't succeed...so much for skydiving.

·
Registered
530 Posts
24mpg hwy & 15mpg city

24mpg highway for my 02 loaded with passengers and stuff but a very dissapointing 14 to 16mpg around town, I expected better.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Re: 24mpg hwy & 15mpg city

moose said:
24mpg highway for my 02 loaded with passengers and stuff but a very dissapointing 14 to 16mpg around town, I expected better.
Yes, some things are quite disappointing. On my 02 Accord, past its break-in, I drive mostly highway it seems. A mile to highway and two lights, hiway for 14 miles, a mile to work about 4 lights, but its usually clear sailing as they are timed well for traffic movement.

three days of this without extra city driving got me 21 MPG and I don't think i ever put it over 3500 RPM. Very disappointing, hell, city driving is rated at 20, with highway, I would expect the average to be better than one over city rating.

Guys at Honda Service department said that they put 80 Ibs in the tires and "drive them like grandma" to get those city numbers.

Seems seriously misleading to me...

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Re: 24mpg hwy & 15mpg city

moose said:
Same here, it is indeed disappointing :mad: .

Regards,

M¿

·
Registered
250 Posts
getting about 25.5mpg (measured long term, mostly fwy driving), 13250 miles or so. as for short term (memorial day wkend holiday; multiple 120mile trips for wedding, then drive to stockton and back) yielded a dismal 22.x mpg, averaging mid 70s mph. unless my calcs are WAY off, but you can see for yourself:

http://users2.ev1.net/~wesiddiquis/siddiq/Log.xls

MS Excel file, for both 02 Camry V6 and 02 Ody. Alas the Ody sheet hasn't been formatted the same as the camry...

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
BShell said:
I just completed a trip from Indianapolis to Sarasota, FL and back in my new 02 (less than 3,000 miles) Odyssey. With three adults and one child, and luggage for all, we averaged 24 miles per gallon on the highway. This was at speeds between 75 and 80 mph (everyone was going this fast, honest!).

Can anyone one else share their mileage with a similar full load and higher speeds?

Also, my 02 runs about 2100 rpms at 75 mph in 5th gear. Is this typical?
Yes, 2100 at 75mph on flat terrain, that's about right.

I got 24mpg by myself going through serious mountains. I used cruise control and set it at 71; the car worked flawlessly. Every time I started up a mountain, it immediately shifted down to third and stayed there until I crested the mountain, at which point it shifted right up to 5th and stayed there--and even managed to keep my speed while going *down* the mountain, all without shifting down. There's some serious compression in that engine.

So 24mpg on flat terrain with people and luggage, that would be about right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts