Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Carr:

Our family owns a 2002 Honda Accord (now with mileage of 60K) and a 2002 Honda Odyssey (now with mileage of 107K).

We religiously service the vehicles at a local Honda dealership. In the past 27 months, we have paid them nearly $7,000 for maintenance expenses. Most of these (say 75%) represent regularly-scheduled maintenance (we've had 2 mechanical failures -- relating to the AC in Accord & a master brake cylinder failure). And most of these (probably also 75%) relate to the Odyssey. This represents an average of $250 per month in maintenance expenses, and about $200 a month for the Odyssey.

My questions are two-fold:
(1) Is this within the range of expectation for maintenance expenses, particularly considering that we've been timely & consistent about maintenance? (2) If not, what can I do in the future to ensure the charges are within the range of reasonable?

Rgds,
K

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
kimbomama said:
Dear Carr:

Our family owns a 2002 Honda Accord (now with mileage of 60K) and a 2002 Honda Odyssey (now with mileage of 107K).

We religiously service the vehicles at a local Honda dealership. In the past 27 months, we have paid them nearly $7,000 for maintenance expenses. Most of these (say 75%) represent regularly-scheduled maintenance (we've had 2 mechanical failures -- relating to the AC in Accord & a master brake cylinder failure). And most of these (probably also 75%) relate to the Odyssey. This represents an average of $250 per month in maintenance expenses, and about $200 a month for the Odyssey.

My questions are two-fold:
(1) Is this within the range of expectation for maintenance expenses, particularly considering that we've been timely & consistent about maintenance? (2) If not, what can I do in the future to ensure the charges are within the range of reasonable?

Rgds,
K
Holy fockin monkey nuts Batman........I should hope that is not normal...........That's a new entry level Hyundai you paid for there.....And I thought mine was a hunk of poo

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
Actually it sounds really high. Is there a way you can basically itemized some of the more expensive services performed for us to look at more critically?

Do list the mileage and age of vehicle for the entries. There is something going on here and I'd recommend NOT going to that dealer till we see what they have charged for....

:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
208 Posts
OK, I'll post my expenses for comparisons

We bought the Ody in July 05 and drove it 44K miles

Oil change 6 times (following the freakin maintenance minder)
Filter and washer: pack of 6 at H and A ($30)
Oil: Mobil 1 5w30 at Costco 5 packs of 6 quarts ($150)

Tires: Tirerack GY comfortreads ($450)
mounting ($150)

Wiper blade insert at H and A ($12)

Cabin Air filter ($16)

Air Filter ($18)

Tranny fill and drain first time at dealer ($50)

Tranny fill and drain second and third time
Tranny fluid at H and A 8 quarts ($48)

Total is $924 for 38 months, actually if you don't count the tires it's $324 for 38 months.

Your dealer must love you...
You need to find an independent Honda shop, if you don't want to get grease on your hand.

·
Administrator
14,213 Posts
You should have spent about $1000 - $1200 for the 105K service on the Van recently. The rest of the expenses I believe are because you must have fallen for the dealer scams of 3K oil changes and plenty of unwarranted services that you could have turned down. I too vote for that is NOT normal maintenance expense for the life of your two vehicles. I am afraid you have been had.

Welcome to the OdyClub though.

·
Registered
14,669 Posts
There's the Honda recommended maintenance and the dealer recommended maintenance. Often they are quite different.

I have only paid for one "service" at the dealer. That was to find out the state of the brake pads. I do pay them to change the transmission fluid along with the oil. That costs about what a minor "service" does. I am currently looking at the major 105k service.

The repairs on both Odys have been the IAC valve and motor mounts.
My motor mounts were purchased online and installed by the guy who used to work on my MPV.

·
Registered
226 Posts
egads said:
There's the Honda recommended maintenance and the dealer recommended maintenance. Often they are quite different.

Yeah, my dealer uses the severe service schedule. I think I have written Honda about this abusive practice and got no response, but I'm not sure. It's a classic FUD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt) tactic - how can you argue that you've spent a boatload on your new Honda, so why wouldn't you err on the side of safety on preventive maintenance? Because it's a complete waste of money, that's why!

I try to go ala carte at the dealer, letting them do things like change the transmission fluid, to make sure they have that history for when it craps out. I change my own oil, and I've been using Pep Boys for brakes. That's probably a mistake - I prefer NTB, but they are too far away.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
That's outrageous.

Still waiting for a breakdown of maintenance from the OP who seems to be AWOL.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
It seems as though OP was writing a letter to fellow member CARR. I've found several older post's by him (or her). Was CARR sometype of dealer or service manager?

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
herrhaus said:
It seems as though OP was writing a letter to fellow member CARR. I've found several older post's by him (or her). Was CARR sometype of dealer or service manager?
There IS a Carr's Honda dealership in Chicago City, with a bad reputation though.

:eek:

·
Registered
2,925 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
herrhaus said:
Ladies and gentleman, I think we have a ringer. See CARR's second post in this thread.....

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=32396
If that Carr is related in anyway to Carr's Honda on Western Ave., avoid that dealership at ALL COSTS...for ANY reason whatsoever. It has the worst ratings on several Chicagoland area websites. They are the ones that quoted the ridiculous $1595 for a timing belt/water pump/accessory belt change...no tensioner, cam seals, nor main seal included. If I wanted the plugs and valve adjustment, that alone was $495 extra. What a bunch of crooks!

:ahh:

:flame:

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Unless, CARR is from "The Honda Superstores" which happens to Honda of Lisle IL.

Who really cares right? :dunno: I was just curious to figure out who the OP was posting thier question to that's all. Sorry for the tangent. :rolleyes:

CHIODY, one more post and you roll 5K....congratulations.

Now get back to work!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Took delivery of my 2006 Oddy in Oct 2005. Now has 63,000 miles. Total repair cost including new tires and all maintenance so far = $1,094.17.

That will go up today as the dealer installs new blower motor resistor for $271.

This is the first repair on the vehicle not related to normal maintenance.

I'm happy with my Oddy.

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
cc183 said:
Took delivery of my 2006 Oddy in Oct 2005. Now has 63,000 miles. Total repair cost including new tires and all maintenance so far = $1,094.17.

That will go up today as the dealer installs new blower motor resistor for $271.

This is the first repair on the vehicle not related to normal maintenance.

I'm happy with my Oddy.
If not too late, you can do it yourself for about $75......

Really easy with only a few screws to remove under the passenger footwell area.....

Save a few bucks and have a nice night out????

·
Registered
97 Posts
Actually it is too late. I wish it were not. Took the van in yesterday to the dealer. They had to order the part and they are installing as I type this. I came here and searched A/C problems etc. but nothing about the blower motor relay popped up. Now I know. Expensive lesson.

It's going to 90 degrees today so I am just glad to get the A/C repaired.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Blower Motor Resistor

Grand total $318.15. $168 for part, $129 labor. $10.00 supplies (that's crap) and tax.

Probably a $15 part but when you are at their mercy they can gig you all they want.

I know better next time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts