Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe someone can give me some ideas. I just bought a '97 Ody about 2 months ago. Got a steal at 3250.00. When I test drove it, I thought it was a bit rough, but it also needs a new exhaust system.

The day I bought it, the thing broke down. The place where we got it sent a tow truck, and we got it back a couple of days later. Apparently, there was a broken hose. Three days later, it starts stalling, sputtering, losing power, and idling low and revving up high. We take it to the Honda dealership (the only one in the area, they rape your wallet) and they do a full diagnostic. They don't come up with ANY codes. HUH? They charge us 125.00 and say that they *think* it *MIGHT* be an idle air control valve, and it's going to cost us 600.00. We decide to buy an idle air control valve, and have it installed elsewhere. We save 350.00. But... it doesn't fix the problem.

Check engine light is still shining bright, so we take it to Autozone to have the codes read and get a P0301, P0302, P1399. I notice on the website of the place where we bought the Ody that they have a 30 day warranty, so we take it back there. They discover the module in the distributor is all corroded and replace the distributor. They also replace the plug wires.

It doesn't fix it. The damned thing still runs rough, stalls all of the time, idles low, and then revs up, makes misfire noises, and now the CEL is BLINKING!!!

I'm so upset, I don't know where to go, or what to do. We don't have a lot of money. Please, what would you do?:huh:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some more info...

I also want to mention that the Ody smells like FRESH gasoline whenever I exit the vehicle. It smells almost like a lawnmower.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another thing I forgot to mention is that it ONLY does this when the vehicle is warm. The first 3-4 minutes of driving, it's great. After that, it goes to crap.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm unfamiliar with Honda, but a blinking check engine light usually indicates a misfire that's bad enough to cause cat/engine damage.

Smells like a lawnmower? Is that from the exhaust, or is it from a leak?

·
Registered
20 Posts
smells like a lawnmower eh..

replace the catalytic converter like stated above. if its clogged, it will throw off your air/fuel mixture. hence the gasoline smell.

should probably replace o2 sensors as well.

once you've replaced all that stuff... do the following:

-pull positive off the battery.
-let car sit for 5 min.
-turn off all fans, radio, lights.
-reconnect positive to battery.
-start car and let it idle for 5-10 minutes WITHOUT touching anything!!
-turn off car.

you have now reset your ecu's air/fuel mixture calculations to conform with your new parts.... all should be good!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:::UPDATE:::

We just got the van back from the shop. Apparently the shop we bought it from installed the vacuum hoses incorrectly, backwards or in the wrong order. (Something.)

The mechanic installed them in the correct way, and now it runs smoothly, beautifully. No thanks to the Honda dealership. You'd think they would have caught that one. We paid for a lot of labor, but I'm almost positive that's going to be the end of our worries.

So, here's an ethical question: Should we send the bill (288.00) to the people we bought it from?

·
Registered
332 Posts
If it is under warranty, I would try to get something back, they may say that it is beyond because you were charged labor (if it was still under warranty). ask for some help on the bill, 50% or less.. good luck from there.. i once changed my wires to some non-OEm ones, Ody ran like ****... changed them back, and it ran fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a 97 ford T-bird, it would misfire while driving. I checked the spark plug wires they kept touching any hot metal parts of the engine. I had to pull on them to fit on the wire holders tight and that fixed my trouble. I am glad you got it fixed!

·
Registered
25 Posts
cat is backed up. replace the cat
yes. how about changing the fuel pump
Had an acura Rl with cel blinking, also misfiring, just replaced the fuel pump and it was good to go
smells like a lawnmower eh..

replace the catalytic converter like stated above. if its clogged, it will throw off your air/fuel mixture. hence the gasoline smell.

should probably replace o2 sensors as well.

once you've replaced all that stuff... ... all should be good!
antbo and mr sunshine, with your shoot in the dark approach you would have cost this guy close to, if not over $1500 in wasted repair costs over some crossed vacuum lines.

You should seriously reconsider posting anything on this forum without fully understanding the symptoms, looking at data and doing some real diagnosis. I hope neither of you wrench for a living, and if you do, I feel sorry for your customers.

Sorry about my rant, but I see this happening on this forum way too much. People just replacing parts, because it worked on one car one time or it's just a gut feeling.

OP, glad your Ody is fixed and congrats on your purchase

·
Registered
20 Posts
ok. sorry.

Maybe someone can give me some ideas
first sentence in this thread. I didnt come to his house and hold a knife to his throat, making him do anything. Suggested some 'IDEAS' just like he asked in the original post.

you feel better though, right?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I may come off a bit harsh,and I apologize for making it sound like a personal attack, but I'm saying it as I see it.

People come onto this and other forums for solutions or ideas to problems. When a member replies with "replace X" without any hint of doubt in their post, its possible the op might follow that advice and waste a bunch of money. If I was asked for ideas, I would answer with "might be x, so check to see if its bad", or ask more questions to better understand the problem.

And I do feel better.
:cheers:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Next time I will promise to add a shred of doubt to my post. Lets be happy the OP didn't take my advice, and waste his money.

Maybe you should take your self proclaimed 'straight shooter ' attitude and use it to good use next time. Instead of showing up a month late to a thread where you 'personally' attack people (which usually happens when you start using peoples names, for example) , provide some help (including the words 'maybe' and/or 'possibly') when the guy is looking for help. Don't show up after the problem is solved (where he took none of our advice), looking like a fool.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Maybe you should take your self proclaimed 'straight shooter ' attitude and use it to good use next time.
I have, see my other posts.

Instead of showing up a month late to a thread where you 'personally' attack people (which usually happens when you start using peoples names, for example) ,
I apologized already, for making it sound like a personal attack. Did you not see that?

provide some help (including the words 'maybe' and/or 'possibly') when the guy is looking for help.
I have, see my other posts.

Don't show up after the problem is solved (where he took none of our advice), looking like a fool.
Definition of fool (dictionary link):
1: a person lacking in judgment or prudence

I was pointing out the fact that nobody should just throw parts at a car without a clear understanding of the problem. That is foolish.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts