Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi y'all, i'm here humbly in need of help.
I was doing the strut/shock assembly replacement for the front today.
First up was driver's side, where I'm stuck....
While I kept the driver side knucle supported, i CANNOT get it to align properly.

I have removed the caliper to better position the axle but it doesn't seem to be in properly.

Any help would be appreciated. How do I get this back in so it lines up with the strut mount bolts?

give me a call 361 728 7433.

I have watched ranger zr1 videos but doesn't really show this process
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Dog Rim

·
Registered
615 Posts
Rotate 180 degrees and try again.

Keep opening in clip down too often works when difficult.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I talked to him. I believe his issue is as he posted in video above.

Axle never removed from trans nor knuckle.

Not enough movemt to lift knuckle back up to connect the two lower strut bolts.
Inner CV binding.

He will follow video instruction in am.

·
Registered
117 Posts
100% you nailed it
Did you have success popping the tripod bearings back into their slots on the cup ? It happened to me once on a car and I ended up having to pull the axle, remove boot clamp, reinsert and reclamp. IT will be MESSY. There should be youtube clips on the process if your not sure of the process.
Someone here with more knowledge might have a suggestion on the process while the axle is still installed.

·
Registered
2009 Odyssey EX Sterling Gray Metallic
648 Posts
Rotate the axle while putting it straight back in. If the boot is in the way you'll have to work it down towards the axle shaft before you can push it back in. If it's too difficult to do still assembled, remove the axle from the hub. This will give you more control and a better feel for what you're doing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you have success popping the tripod bearings back into their slots on the cup ? It happened to me once on a car and I ended up having to pull the axle, remove boot clamp, reinsert and reclamp. IT will be MESSY. There should be youtube clips on the process if your not sure of the process.
Someone here with more knowledge might have a suggestion on the process while the axle is still installed.
No I have had no success. There are too many ball bearings, I think, to get them back in the cage with the rotation method.
We tried for about an hour and then gave up.
I am ordering a replacement axle under warranty. I am just going to replace it, should be faster

Light Product Font Line Auto part

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you can get a free replacement it's not a bad idea and certainly will be cleaner than messing with cv grease after opening up the CV boot. It's probably worth the $75-100 after market shaft to not have to clean up that grease.

·
Registered
2009 Odyssey EX Sterling Gray Metallic
648 Posts
Did you remove the axle from the hub before re-inserting? It's a lot faster than waiting for a new part to come under a shifty warranty claim.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts