Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Really wanting to purchase this 05 EX-L I found locally but worried

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  rsrocket1 
#1 ·
Its an 05 EX-L RES with the extra seat. In good condition cosmetically still need to have a mechanic look it over for me before I make any deal.

Has 73k on it. Local car dealer wants $14900 for it which I feel is too much anyway but I think there is some wiggle room there too. CarFax report is clean 1 owner no issues to report.

Here are my concerns (2 of them really) this is outside the normal Tranny issues discussed ad-nausem everywhere but personally I think no matter what I get may have potential Tranny issues.

Problem 1 - Horrible whistle at around 40mph from the front of the van. No idea what it is when I have driven it. After much research here (thanks) it appears this is the dreaded Windshield whistle. Annoying yet fixable based on TSB 04-078. My question is could this be anything else to worry about?

Problem 2 - This is the more "concerning" issue. The van seems run and drive great. However the ECO light is going on and off frequently obviously turning cylinders on and off to provide better gas mileage. The issue here is that it is noticeable when this happens. My worry is that this may be a Tranny issue or something serious.

I hate to steer away from this model as it is everything we want and the style we want (we like the 05 up styling) and I am having no luck finding anything else that fits our budget. There is a nice 04 EX-L RES with 73k available for $11k as well that we like but I just prefer the "look/style" of the 05 better. Guess I am crazy but who knows.

Any insight you guys can add would be greatly appreciated before I make a purchasing mistake.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

See less See more
#2 ·
We have a 2005 EX-L with 93k and the ECO turns on any time the computer thinks it can get by with less horsepower such as coasting or cruise control on level roads. It is NEVER noticeable when I am a passenger and only noticeable by me when I see the light go on.

We had a 2001 LX and suffered total transmission failure within 2 years. It was fixed for free by Honda, but that van was totaled in an accident. It was completely destroyed and we all walked away without a scratch hence the 2005 EX-L.

Bottom line, there should be no jumping/shuddering or any other feeling/sound when going in or out of ECO.

#3 ·
Here are my concerns (2 of them really) this is outside the normal Tranny issues discussed ad-nausem everywhere but personally I think no matter what I get may have potential Tranny issues.

Greg
Potential issuses is quite better than known (not resolvable by dealers) issues :D . We have an 05 EX-L and I must say it's very reliable (beside some of the minor well known issues) considered how much we abuse it (short distant driving). Of course, after we fixed the rear motor mount to get rid of the shudder now comes the high pitch noise that most likely coming from the trans (we had the whistling noise from the windshield fixed too). But it's ok since we've put 90k miles on it in the past 6 years and it never died on us. But buying a car (new or not) and knowing you have to deal with a transmission problem is not something I would even consider. May be part of the reasons why I said it's ok for us is because we really don't have a choice.

#4 ·
I hear you guys but I would think the "window whistle" is no big deal since it appears to be a fixable thing.

Anyone have any additional ideas on the "eco issue" above. It may not even be an issue as my wife only noticed it on the test drive when I pointed it out to her and she looked at the Eco light going on and off.

That being said a new possibility popped up this AM - 2006 EX-L, RES, NAV with backup sensors and camera for $14900. Price i think is a little high and it has 90k which is kind of a bummer but for 15k or less budget most of what I am seeing (sans this 2005 one I mentioned) have close to 100k on it.

Greg

#5 ·
Actually your prices seem pretty good..if anything the '05 is low which might be explained by the mechanical issues. In good condition $14,900 is a terrific price at a dealer...that's more private part/trade-in value.

Could be a motor mount making the VCM (eco light) be more pronounced. If it's the windshield whistle...it's not a big deal. Most of the '05/'06 folks had a lot of early fixes that never returned.

#6 ·
Well I should be clear this is not a true Honda dealer it is a guy who has a lot and buys things/trades etc and then sells them for what he can so there is no backing warranty etc.

Carfax is totally clean and shows that for the most part regular maintenance was done. No major work done at this time.

I was hoping I could get him down to around 13k for it so that if I needed tranny work at least I had that 2k in my pocket saved but so far no budging.

Hmmm don't really know -- need to think some more.

Greg

#14 ·
I was hoping I could get him down to around 13k for it so that if I needed tranny work at least I had that 2k in my pocket saved but so far no budging.

Hmmm don't really know -- need to think some more.

Greg
I say if you're not in need of the van right now I would be patient and wait for something better. Thats what I did when I purchased my 07 3 years ago. There are alot of Odysseys on the road you will find one. I dont want to see you spend your hard earned money then need to put a boat load of money into it just to have it in good running condition. Keep looking a better deal is out there waiting for you.

#7 ·
I have similar "noise" in my 2005 Ody.
I am not so quite sure if this high pitched whine:
1/ some transmission component (s) as plastic container or something similar?
2/ power s. pump ?

This pitched whine is when engine is cold,
then quite annoying up to 100 kmph (60mph)
then after 110 kmph is gone.

Just FYI my Ody odometer recording over 184 K km and running fine.
This noise started at approximately 140K km and dealer told me ...don't worry..
So far no problems..sometime more noisy, sometimes nothing...

If you getting a good price- good vehicle to own and drive.

#9 ·
The whistle is fixable, at most $100 to replace the windshield molding.

The ECO is normal for this vehicle, but it should not be noticable. You may want to check the engine mount, the 05 did have a problem (check the TSBs) if the rear mount is shot, you will feel more vibrations when it goes into ECO. Ask your mechanic to check the mount to make sure. I have 90k miles on mine and it still runs great.

#10 ·
Thanks.

Mechanically it checked out fine but my regular mechanic is not a Honda expert. He noticed the eco on & off bit also but commented it was not creating a lurch/surge/buckle or even any noises. He noted that he could simply "feel" the change is all.

Greg

#11 ·
AutoCheck

You should run an AutoCheck report on the vehicle. Carfaux is limited on accident data and doesn't always show them.

Do a google search on CBS Atlanta Carfax Autocheck and you'll see some disturbing things about them

#12 ·
Bought a 2005 Odyssey EXL with same issue

I bought a 2005 Odyssey with the same issue. Unfortunately, I did not notice it right away. I only live 10 miles from work. After a few days of driving I noticed a vibration when it went into ECO mode when going at least 40 mph or faster.
I brought it to a transmission shop and they said the rear motor mount is bad and the torque converter and suggested taking it back to the dealership to have them take care of it since it had only been a week. So, I did and they said they would look at the van and let me know what they would do. They gave me a car to drive while they have it. They called me the next day and confirmed what the transmission shop said and mentioned something else that needed replacement as well.

They said they could have it fixed at a transmission shop they send their vehicles to and they would cover $1000 which would make my cost about $2000 to $3000. The reason for the difference is if they determine that any more motor mounts need to be replaced. I also got a quote from the other transmission place and it was higher. Should the dealer cover all of it? It does have 126,000 miles and sold "as-is". The total cost (before the transmission) was $12,500 including tax and license. The van is in pretty good shape with few minor cosmetic issues. It's an EXL with the entertainment system. So, it sucks having the transmission issue but I guess the price of the van was low enough to make it less painful. Otherwise, I love the van and cannot wait to get it back.

Sorry, this got kind of long but the van you are considering buying, may have the same problem or maybe just the motor mount. I am just glad I did not pay more for a van and end up having the same problem down the road. So for $14,500-$16,000 I will have a van with new motor mount(s) and rebuilt tranny with a 2 year/24,000 mile warranty. Not fantastic but i guess not too bad. If you really like this van and if you are comfortable with the price of the van plus possibly paying for the motor mounts/transmission then i would say go for it.

#13 ·
Own 05 with 128k miles

Bought mine in 05 and now have 128,000 miles on it. The whistling, if it is from the common problem will go away if you run a piece of electical tape up the molding on the passenger side of the front window molding. If that fixes it, you can pry the molding up, and put some silicone in there, and snap the molding back down.

No transmission problems. I have had the motor mount inspected at Honda several times, and no problem.

The ECO light flashes on and off a lot. I have no idea why one would want to know this, so have thought about popping out the LED light in instrument cluster.

Mine is a Touring, so recently de-paxed. Got tired of the expensive tires, but the wife liked them, as never had to change a tire in the rain / snow / night or bad section of town. I thought some of putting Continental run flats on standard or BMW rims. I have Continental run flats on my BMW, which are only $600. About 1/2 of PAX tires.

#15 ·
I just picked up a 2007 EXL with 78K miles..in pristine condition for $14,300. It came from Rosemead, CA. A asian multi millionaire owned it and it was extremely well cared for.

I found the 2005 at a dealership two weeks ago out here in LA. I know that whistling sound you are speaking of. I thought it was tranny cuz the whistling went away at 50milesper hour. I walked away from this van...correct that, I ran.

Be patient if you can. I just kept looking. If you are having doubts, you will kick yourself if you rush into it. Remember, there are lots of vans out there.

good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.