Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lingering here for a bit but have been unable to find the answer to my question using the search feature - hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

The Question: where is the drain for the rear A/C unit (2012 Odyssey EX-L)? I read on another thread on this forum that it is behind the rear passenger tire, near the end of the tailpipe. I can't locate a drain there.

Some Context: our van stinks to high heavens (the stinky sock smell). I'm convinced that there is mold growing in the air conditioning system. We've done a comprehensive cleaning, no wet carpet or other sources of odor that we can identify. I've tried spraying the cleaning solution into the evaporator up front, but the smell is only masked temporarily and comes back in a few days. The front drain is not clogged and appears clean. My wife is about to drive the van off a cliff. I read somewhere that there is a small A/C unit in the rear with it's own drain. I can't locate the drain to make sure it isn't clogged. When looking for the drain, I had two concerns: 1. we had the bumper replaced - perhaps the body guys didn't get the drain properly routed. 2. there was a massive amount of dirt/pine needles under the rear bumper just behind the passenger rear tire (pictures is looking back from the rear tire, exhaust pipe is at bottom right of photo). Perhaps that dirt blocked the drain leading to mold? I've cleaned the area out but still see no drain. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
647 Posts
I could tell you were from the PNW just by the cedar needles and color of that dirt... :whistle:

How's the condition of the front HVAC filter? When was it last replaced?

Do you run the system on fresh air or recirc most of the time? You should be running fresh air all the time unless there is a specific reason to recirc the air (cooling down an extra hot car, smoke, etc.). Any chance there is similar plant debris build up at the base of the windshield that needs to be cleaned up? (below the cowl cover)

I know in the winter up there that it would be hard to keep moisture out of the vehicle, it is kinda just a fact, even without actual leaks. Keeping the HVAC system in one of the defrost settings (say, floor/defrost mix) will help dry the air by running the AC compressor as needed - the system does have a moisture sensor to help with this.

The drain for the rear AC unit should be located back in that corner where you are looking. You should be able to locate it above the plastic panel there, just on the outside of the frame rail. I don't think there is an easy to see hose that sticks down though.

-Charlie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could tell you were from the PNW just by the cedar needles and color of that dirt... :whistle:

How's the condition of the front HVAC filter? When was it last replaced?

Do you run the system on fresh air or recirc most of the time? You should be running fresh air all the time unless there is a specific reason to recirc the air (cooling down an extra hot car, smoke, etc.). Any chance there is similar plant debris build up at the base of the windshield that needs to be cleaned up? (below the cowl cover)

I know in the winter up there that it would be hard to keep moisture out of the vehicle, it is kinda just a fact, even without actual leaks. Keeping the HVAC system in one of the defrost settings (say, floor/defrost mix) will help dry the air by running the AC compressor as needed - the system does have a moisture sensor to help with this.

The drain for the rear AC unit should be located back in that corner where you are looking. You should be able to locate it above the plastic panel there, just on the outside of the frame rail. I don't think there is an easy to see hose that sticks down though.

-Charlie
You're right! We live in Woodinville (east of Seattle) - lots of Cedar/Fir needles floating around. It's constant.

The HVAC filter is pretty clean. I've ordered a new one, but it looked/smelled pretty good. We do run the system in fresh air mode typically. The front cowl looks good as well - we generally keep the car clean (it's parked indoors, so we don't have needles falling onto it - they do get thrown up by the tires, though) - that buildup of needles was shocking!

I'll take another look for the drain in the back. I imagine it was pretty well clogged. I'll also try running the defrost for a bit, hopefully i can generate some condensation to track down the drain. It's been so cold that running the AC on it's own hasn't created any condensation to see if the drain is working properly.

Thanks for the pointers!

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
647 Posts
Hopefully somebody in more cool/humid location can help out more. We only get a week or two here or there where something like this could happen unless there is a true leak... though AC smells in the summer are possible (turn it off 1-3 minutes before destination to dry it out in those situations).

-Charlie

·
Registered
14,040 Posts
If there is no dripping behind the rear passenger wheel when operating the rear A/C, then you have a clogged rear
drain. In models of this vintage, even the rear HVAC will operate the A/C with the heat when it is in AUTO.
Once you get this sorted, I suggest rear mud flaps. Also, once the rear is draining properly, get an auto A/C spray duct cleaner and spray it into the intake for the rear HVAC. I think that unit only does recirculate, there is no option for fresh air intake.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts