Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Rear A/C filter???

32K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  72triple 
#1 ·
Does the rear A/C on a 2006 have it's own filter? If not how do I access the evaporator to clean it out, after 5 years of carrying out golden retreiver to work and back every day I am sure the rear evap or filter is full of dog hair;)

#2 ·
No, it does not.

I think the "easiest" way would be to remove the blower motor and vacuum anything you see, but even then it won't be easy: It takes some time to remove the rear trim panel and the evaporator is right below the blower, so not sure how much access you'll have. Otherwise, you'll have to take the whole assembly apart...

Nicolas

#3 ·
I dont think thats possible. If I were you I'd ask a mechanic (NOT A SERVICE REP) at the dealer to be absolute. But from what I can tell, there is no air intake in the rear for dog hair to enter and the only way for it to enter from the front is during when recirc is on.

#4 ·
You are right that there is no outside air intake, but there is an internal intake in the rear side trim, across from the spare tire (the back is always on RECIRC...). Dog hair could go in, I guess.

If you find a lot of hair in there you *could* rig a home heating filter behind the openings in the rear trim panel, to catch them before they get to the blower. They have very "free- flowing" filters that should catch the hairs without blocking the air.

Nicolas

#11 ·
It is called the "Rear Air Outlet" in the service manual, and the section covering its "replacement" is in the AC section of the manual. I just put 2 and 2 together...

Nicolas

#12 · (Edited)
The vent in the rear left lets air out of the van. You need this when running outside air and for closing doors, otherwise you will build pressure inside. In the HVAC business we call this a relief vent.

The rear blower & evaporator is located on the right side and only sucks air from the inside. No need to pull from the outside as you get plenty of ventilation from the front. Also if the rear ac pulled in outside air, it is so close to the tailpipe you would have a big chance of pulling exhaust inside!

#13 ·
...Also if the rear ac pulled in outside air, it is so close to the tailpipe you would have a big chance of pulling exhaust inside!
This is why I have a carbon monoxide detector in the back. I want to know if my kids are breathing in poison! It has shown small readings occasionally. The last time I pushed "peak" on it, it showed 23 ppm? Not sure what that number means but it is safe for short term. Probably got some exhaust in there while the engine was running in the morning with the lift gate open. Now I wait til the gate is closed before starting a cold engine.

#15 ·
Yup. I remember laying across the back window sill of my parent's caprice on long trips. Riding in back of a pickup at highway speeds.

#16 ·
The rear AC on my '07 EX-L definitely does not have a filter and does not take in outside air.

I took off the trim panel to perform the "rear 12V always-on" mod. While I was in there I cleaned and checked out the AC. I've been concerned for years about dog hair and other nastiness getting into the rear AC. My worries were fully realized today.

Here's a picture of the evaporator, after removing the blower fan and a sensor.
imgur: the simple image sharer

The blower is about 18" above the top of the carpet. It pulls in air from a space inside of the body panel. Air comes in through the louvers in the trim panel just above the carpet.

It is not immediately clear how to clean the evaporator. I think I feel screws which hold together the plastic evaporator + blower assembly, but they face in towards the body panel.

Taking out the assembly would involve the refrigerant lines...

#17 ·
Turns out it wasn't as hard to clean the evaporator as I thought it might be. The trick is taking off the temp sensor.

Here's a video showing how to get behind the trim panel
http://www.etrailer.com/tv-wiring-install-2007-honda-odyssey.aspx

Here's a diagram of the blower + evaporator assembly showing how to access the evaporator for cleaning

I was able to reach my arm through the blower outlet and pull out almost all of the hair and lint in one sheet.

Here's the evaporator almost completely clean. I got the rest of the hair out with a toothbrush. I sprayed the evaporator with 409 until it ran out of the condensation drain.

I found some cuttable AC filter at the local Ace for $2.50. The 15" width is just right; I cut it to 10" high.

Filter taped to the back of the louvers. It isn't perfect, but it should help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.