Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Odyssey EX with about 115,000 miles on it. The A/C started blowing "not as cool" last Spring so had it fixed at a shop - they said the rear evaporator was goofy and also recharged the system. It worked OK for the summer, but it was never quite the same though.

Fast forward to present.

Front A/C blows nice and cold. Rear A/C blows warm/hot air (from the ceiling vents).

Any ideas of what I'm up against before I go back to the guys who "fixed" it last year and demand a better result?

·
Registered
10,112 Posts
Both front and rear A/C share the same compressor and condensor. Those must be okay since you are getting cold air up front. Either the refrigerant is low, or the lines to the rear or the rear evaporator is plugged. (The former is more likely.) Did the shop test for leaks before recharging it?

Did they define "goofy"? The rear A/C works on the same principle as the front. If they know their stuff, it shouldn't throw them off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was not a dealer shop, but a mom-&-pop outfit recommended by a friend. Once they got the front working, they continued to struggle with the rear system. They really didn't know what they were doing, as we had to take it back to them 2-3 times before they got it "working". It never did blow as cold as it did originally. They said it was fully charged w/out leaks (that was then - not sure about now). I'll look into the clogged lines idea.

·
Registered
513 Posts
It could be a stuck door in the rear HVAC unit (it has a name, forget what it is...). Maybe have someone sit in the back check if the flow changes when you switch from cold to hot.

Nicolas

·
Registered
725 Posts
The expansion valve on the rear unit evaporator stick at times and needs to be replaced .

There are two expansion valves in the system , on on the front evaporator and one on The rear located at the evaporator coil in rear .

If front is cooling great and the rear is hot /warm (but) blowing from top vents . Your issue is the expansion valve at the rear unit .

It cannot be a door as default is cooling over head and heater on floor , witch cannot be changed .

Now if front is blowing cold and only when u turn on rear system it is blowing warm and the front unit starts to blow warmer ( not as cold as with rear off ) then u have a low refrigerant issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts