Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Odyssey and need a bike rack for 1 bike. We are taking my son off to college which is about a 6hr drive and will not have much room in the back of the van to take the bike. We do not have roof rack or a hitch.

I would like to get the rack where I strap it on the back, but I have read that it will put stress on the top of the rear hatch/spoiler. Would 1 bike cause any damage if I were to do that? Has anyone out there used one of these type of racks with or without problems?

I was looking at the Saris Solo rack.

http://www.bikerackshops.com/brands/saris/solo/?F_FilterIds=15

thanks for any info.

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
That Saris Solo bike rack would be a good fit for our Odys if our liftgates were not equipped with a spoiler. I searched for something like this, but was not successful, when our family was much smaller back in 2002. The spoiler is not strong enough to support racks like that type. Even the older Rhode Gear types (if you can find them on Craigslist) will stress the spoiler.

As my family grew, so did the number of bikes. Right now I'm using a Thule 964 Revolver on the factory hitch, and a pair of Thule 599XTR Big Mouths on the factory roof rack.

Do you have crossbars? Here is an awesome way to move a bike, though it means flipping the quick release and pulling off the bicycle's front tire:

The Yakima Forklift will fit most flat factory bars, square Thule bars, and of course Yakima's round bars. It can lock, as well.

OF

1 - 2 of 2 Posts