Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rear Storage Bin - installed in place of front tray

I have an 09 EXL-RES. Someone else before me had the idea to put the storage bin from the rear middle row from an early model Touring in place of the flip down tray. I purchased the bin from a fellow Ody owner's 05 Touring here in Dallas, and set about installing the bin. I wanted the project to have minimal impact to the existing vehicle (no holes in the floor board, etc.) and I wanted the bin to be stable and not move.

Here is what I did. First off, the requisite before picture (yes I know, we have all seen this)

I removed the trim and the tray from the van.

This is the bin that I purchased.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did some cleanup on the bin, I removed all of the cables and locks from the bin which allow it to be locked to the 2nd row floor brackets. It added weight and it interfered with the ability for the bin to rest on the 4 rubber bumpers. I also drilled 4 holes into the bottom of the storage area to attach it to the plate.

I have a friend of mine that owns a metal fabrication shop and I had him make a 1/8" steel plate that would mount to the existing bolts on the seat and be strong enough to support the weight of the storage bin. The picture already has the bolts attached that will go into the bottom of the storage bin.

Now the bracket is in place. I put a 3/4" aluminum square tube under the free end so that the plate wouldn't bounce around on the bumps.

Reactions: danbo1

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bolted the bin in place on the place, put a rubber mousepad on the bottom to help hide the bolts and nuts.

I really like the addition. The lazy susan is still completely accessible, the pull out cup holders are still easily usable, and I have covered storage in the front. I also like the cup holders in the bin MUCH better than the ones on the tray.

·
Registered
786 Posts
How do the colors blend? If I recall correctly, Honda changed the gray interior colors sometime between 2005 and 2009. Is it all that noticable?

·
Super Moderator
13,702 Posts
Nice. I remember reading of one other guy doing this but he was still working on securing the console. Can't find his post but your idea of mounting it on the steel plate is ingenious.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Cntrtwnltd - yes unfortunately, either in 2007 or 2008, they made the gray interior more gray and less blue. So you can see the difference. I think most people would just think it was off color for accent, but we know different. I ran into this same problem when I was doing my cupholder recontent on the middle seats - http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58893

@dvpatel - thanks! The bin sat in my garage for 6 weeks before I felt I had come up with the best solution :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey TxAggie,

What a great mod! I just pulled out our rear center console this past week and it's just sitting in the garage. Now you've got me seriously thinking about doing the same thing. I've always thought that Honda should've put that console between the two front seats anyway. Thanks for the photos. Would your buddy make another plate for a fellow North Texan?

Cheers,
Kev

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nice job! I wish I would have kept my old console...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can I have the tray you pulled out?

I know it sounds crazy, but I just bought a 2011 Touring and I do not like the front console becuase it is smaller. I can no longer set papers and magazines there, they just fall to the floor at the first red light.

I would love to have the old console and I'm sure my husband can figure oiut how to fit it. I live in North Texas, I can come get it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Great job. Thanks for the inspiration. Looking to do the mount. If you're still around, Would it be possible to use longer bolts, extend them down to the carpeting, use nuts to lock it in place then bolt it to the console.
Hope it's ok to revive an old thread.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I'm guessing that folks that permanently bolt things to their vans don't plan using their vans to haul stuff. Tough to slide a 10 ft board up to front of the vehicle with a storage bin bolted to the side of the seat.

·
Registered
934 Posts

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
WOW! That one didn't come with a lower mount???
I just bought one of these and it came with the mounts, the console/bin clips into the floor just like the jumpseat does =\
This thread is about installing the console between the front seats. There is nothing to clip the console to between the front seats.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm guessing that folks that permanently bolt things to their vans don't plan using their vans to haul stuff. Tough to slide a 10 ft board up to front of the vehicle with a storage bin bolted to the side of the seat.
I saw a writeup where the poster took a different approach that might address this issue. He installed two pieces of threaded rod between the two front seats and used the factory attachment system to latch the rear console into the front position. I believe that the rods simply attached to the plastic seat shrouds so I would calculate the height so to keep the console weight mostly supported by the floor.

I believe that he "ground off" the three (folding tray) studs but I would be inclined to cap them instead, since this writeup implies that they will not intrude into space required by the "new" console.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have an 09 EXL-RES. Someone else before me had the idea to put the storage bin from the rear middle row from an early model Touring in place of the flip down tray. I purchased the bin from a fellow Ody owner's 05 Touring here in Dallas, and set about installing the bin. I wanted the project to have minimal impact to the existing vehicle (no holes in the floor board, etc.) and I wanted the bin to be stable and not move.

Here is what I did. First off, the requisite before picture (yes I know, we have all seen this)

I removed the trim and the tray from the van.

This is the bin that I purchased.

I know this is an old thread, but is there any chance that you have any pictures of this process as I finally found a bin and the posted pictures are no longer linked

Thank you for the write up though

1 - 17 of 17 Posts