Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 95 Odessy. Got home last night, turned off the auto and the rear brake lights with third light stayed on. I pumped the brakes, no success. I checked the brake fluid level - on the mark. I ended up taking the fuse out to put the lights out. Anyone have this problem and or know how to fix it. Many thanks, Chuck

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Are they yhe brake lights that are on or are they the parking lights. I don't have a diagram for the 95 but most cars cut power to the brake lights when the ignition is off. If it is the brake eliment check around the cable harness for a short.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I had this same problem. You should see some whitish plastic pieces on the driver side front mat. If you get under there you will see that the brake pedal rod has a hole where this plastic piece was. They get brittle and break. Our vans have a reverse brake switch. When you release the brake it comes up and this plastic piece pushes in the brake switch pin. This shuts off the lights. When you press the brake obviously it release the pin and the lights turn on.

Without this piece the brake lights don't turn off. I replaced mine with a bolt and nut and wrapped it with electric tape to make sure it doesn't cause any electric issue. Been good since then.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Nut and Bolt is the fix! I siliconed, krazy glued the rubber tip that used to be by the brake pedal rod until it just disintegrated into smithoreens. absolutely just turned into plastic rubber powder. Just dug out the adequate sized nut, bolt, washer and dabbed some silicone on the contact point with the switch and it's been peaches since.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had this same problem. You should see some whitish plastic pieces on the driver side front mat. If you get under there you will see that the brake pedal rod has a hole where this plastic piece was. They get brittle and break. Our vans have a reverse brake switch. When you release the brake it comes up and this plastic piece pushes in the brake switch pin. This shuts off the lights. When you press the brake obviously it release the pin and the lights turn on.

Without this piece the brake lights don't turn off. I replaced mine with a bolt and nut and wrapped it with electric tape to make sure it doesn't cause any electric issue. Been good since then.

Hope this helps.
to all, but especially HamZer11 - thank you for your inputs. HamZer11 - you were right on the money. Found pieces of plastic exactly where you said it would be; put a quarter 20 bolt with two nuts and yeah - no continous brake lights. Many thanks. Chuck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nut and Bolt is the fix! I siliconed, krazy glued the rubber tip that used to be by the brake pedal rod until it just disintegrated into smithoreens. absolutely just turned into plastic rubber powder. Just dug out the adequate sized nut, bolt, washer and dabbed some silicone on the contact point with the switch and it's been peaches since.
many thanks veneodyssey - you and HamZer11 were right on the money. Totally amazing. chuck

·
Registered
68 Posts
i had same thing on mine 2003 when i changed the brake switch on top of the brake pedal, it needs to be adjusted, little up or little down, your brake lights might stay on ( this is how i got my battery discharged over night )

Basicaly adjust it see if the lights goes off after that.

·
Registered
333 Posts
to all, but especially HamZer11 - thank you for your inputs. HamZer11 - you were right on the money. Found pieces of plastic exactly where you said it would be; put a quarter 20 bolt with two nuts and yeah - no continous brake lights. Many thanks. Chuck
Not a problem. I think it's part of the reason we join forums - to share our experience.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Any pictures or references to this brake switch ?? I think I have the same problem. Ever since the problem started, I can hear a solenoid-like click coming form behind the steering wheel whenever I press the gas pedal from a dead stop.

Just for reference, I was replacing a brake line and bleeding the brake system. I finished the job and made some hard stops to test the brakes. Maybe this triggered the problem ??

·
Registered
424 Posts
Never mind !! I found the brake switch just as described here... nut and bolt, 10 minute fix. Gas pedal solenoid-like noise went away as soon as I fixed the brake switch.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hope this helps.
Thank you HamZer11... your post above was right on the money and saved me a trip to the dealer. I saw the pieces of broken plastic on the floormat and then applied the nut and bolt suggestion and it worked well. I would only caution to use a small bolt and test drive the car once done to make sure the bolt isn't too long and keeps the brakes applied when trying to drive. Just as advertised the brakelight issue was resolved... Thanks again for the post!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hope this helps.
I also fixed with a bolt and nut.

Thank you

1 - 14 of 14 Posts