Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my problem and it's not a simple one. I'm experiencing vibration during high speed braking such as during highway off ramps. Also, when coming to a stop (~20mph to stop) with moderate to heavy braking, I'm hearing a noise pulse (right rear) that is synchronous with tire rotation. I thought the front rotors may have warped and in order to isolate front and rear, I applied the rear brakes using the foot brake and would get the same vibration when at highway speeds so I conclude problem isolated to the rear (maybe bad assumption).
The front brakes were overhauled this past Summer (new calipers, pads and rotors, all Honda OE parts). The new vibration problem became apparent a few months after the front work was performed.
Now here is what I have done recently to eliminate this new issue. I suspected a damaged drum (our of round however I have never experienced this before) so I completed a rear brake job. The rear drums, shoes, and wheel cylinders were replaced, old shoes were 50% worn and had heat damage (crack down the center of the pads, both sides). Old and new Parts were NAPA OE grade. I drove the van for a week and was experiencing the same vibration problem. The slow speed pulse noise took a few days but it came back too. Maybe tied to shoes finding their sweet spot. In order to address the rotation synchronized noise, I figure the wheel bearing was the source when under heavy load during braking. So I replaced the hub assembly on the right side and then the left side. Still getting the same problems. So what the heck is going on here? This vibration and the rotation sychronized noise during braking has me baffled. My next step is to switch brake parts from side to side and see if the noise shifts sides and/or vibration stops. My 2001 Odyssey has 217k miles and has been pampered. It has all new interior carpets and floor mats so it's looking new again. This vibration has me annoyed. Has any mechanic out there experienced something like this or can think of something I've overlooked?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's my problem and it's not a simple one. I'm experiencing vibration during high speed braking such as during highway off ramps. Also, when coming to a stop (~20mph to stop) with moderate to heavy braking, I'm hearing a noise pulse (right rear) that is synchronous with tire rotation. I thought the front rotors may have warped and in order to isolate front and rear, I applied the rear brakes using the foot brake and would get the same vibration when at highway speeds so I conclude problem isolated to the rear (maybe bad assumption).
The front brakes were overhauled this past Summer (new calipers, pads and rotors, all Honda OE parts). The new vibration problem became apparent a few months after the front work was performed.
Now here is what I have done recently to eliminate this new issue. I suspected a damaged drum (our of round however I have never experienced this before) so I completed a rear brake job. The rear drums, shoes, and wheel cylinders were replaced, old shoes were 50% worn and had heat damage (crack down the center of the pads, both sides). Old and new Parts were NAPA OE grade. I drove the van for a week and was experiencing the same vibration problem. The slow speed pulse noise took a few days but it came back too. Maybe tied to shoes finding their sweet spot. In order to address the rotation synchronized noise, I figure the wheel bearing was the source when under heavy load during braking. So I replaced the hub assembly on the right side and then the left side. Still getting the same problems. So what the heck is going on here? This vibration and the rotation sychronized noise during braking has me baffled. My next step is to switch brake parts from side to side and see if the noise shifts sides and/or vibration stops. My 2001 Odyssey has 217k miles and has been pampered. It has all new interior carpets and floor mats so it's looking new again. This vibration has me annoyed. Has any mechanic out there experienced something like this or can think of something I've overlooked?
Did you get to fix the problem? I am having the same problem with my 01' Odyssey and the problem only happened after rear brake pads replacement. The dealer says it is the rear wheel hub. I am not convinced.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You may have the rear shoes adjusted too tight. I experienced the EXACT same problem with my '01 EX, at first after adjusting the rear brakes to try and correct for a low brake pedal, then even AFTER putting on new Honda pads and rotors on the front and new NAPA drums and mid-line ceramic shoes on the back.

My vibration felt like it was coming from the FRONT, which made it that much harder to diagnose.:dunno: Anyway, after backing the rear adjustment down slightly, the vibration went away. Now, unfortunately, my left rear won't stay in adjustment and squeals...Got to pull the drum and check that once it gets a bit warmer, I suspect a worn adjuster wheel which is allowing the shoes to back off slightly.

I hope the brake system on newer generation Odys is better. this is, by far, the MOST finicky vehicle I've EVER owned for brakes.

You may have to tinker a bit changing the adjustment, as it is very much a "by feel" procedure, but this should help get rid of the pulsation.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Shea:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My problem has gone away. I was assuming that the shoes seated themselves and this is why the problem went away. However it is possible that they were adjusted too tight as previously mentioned. Wheel bearing assemblies were definately not the source of my problem.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Glad to hear your problem has settled down. Always nice when they're "self-adjusting.":DD

Regards,
Shea:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
me too!

Glad to find this thread. I too am experiencing right rear brake noise as you describe, in my '03. Vibration and a "wocka wocka wocka" hammering sound. If I get the wheels off this weekend, I will check for adjustment of the shoes in addition to inspection for wear. Worth noting that the hotter the weather and/or brakes, the worse the noise is. The last brake job did not eliminate the problem.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Glad to find this thread. I too am experiencing right rear brake noise as you describe, in my '03. Vibration and a "wocka wocka wocka" hammering sound. If I get the wheels off this weekend, I will check for adjustment of the shoes in addition to inspection for wear. Worth noting that the hotter the weather and/or brakes, the worse the noise is. The last brake job did not eliminate the problem.
You have rear disc brakes, not drums like the 99-01's. You have a different issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too am having the same exact issue as Dougatoms - thanks to you guys I hope I can pass this info along to my buddy (my mechanic too). My 2004 Odyssey needed rotors/pads all around but this vibration became prevalent after the installation last Friday.

Needless to say, I even called my local Honda dealership and talked to one of their lead techs and he had never heard of this problem (thanks to them for taking the time out to talk to "Joe customer" with all the questions I had).

I'll re-post tomorrow if, hopefully, "after backing the rear adjustment down slightly, the vibration goes away."

Thanks in advance to SheaLaking1 if this fixes it!

Fingers crossed!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts