Honda Odyssey Forum banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
wow! that is a great price. Honda wanted $300 for new drums

I am going to take mine in to Canadian tire and have them ground for $40.00.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I took my drums in to have them turned and they were already ground beyond acceptable tollerance levels. I managed to find after market drums for $90.00 each as opposed to the $250.00 best price I could find for OEM.

Changing the brakes was not too hard except getting the springs on and off.

Anyone know if there is a DIY on doing the front brakes as well?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Alpine3 said:
I took my drums in to have them turned and they were already ground beyond acceptable tollerance levels. I managed to find after market drums for $90.00 each as opposed to the $250.00 best price I could find for OEM.
Changing the brakes was not too hard except getting the springs on and off.
Anyone know if there is a DIY on doing the front brakes as well?
Wowie why didn't you buy the $25 ones from kragen.com? WOW. BTW slhondaparts.com sells the factory drums for ~90each.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey, I just found all this. My rear right brake has been noisy for years, and every time I had it checked, I was always told there is nothing wrong.

Do the $25 Bendix drums from kragen fix this noise problem?

I think I will bring a copy of the TSB to a dealer and see if they will help me out with new drums first, but I have about 110k miles and am way out of warranty with my 2000 Odyssey.

Thanks all for great info!!!!!!!
I should check back here more often.

·
Registered
569 Posts
2000-va-ody said:
Do the $25 Bendix drums from kragen fix this noise problem?
I would say yes. Mine don't make a peep now.

By the way, they are $25 "Bendix" but they substitue them with one of the other brands.. the Bendix items are being cleared out. Awesome price though... can't be beat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the update.
I am planning to order the drums soon.
I have never done any brake work myself, but it seems like it should be pretty easy to replace the old drums with new ones; maybe 20 minutes per side?
Where do I get the bolts that are used to force the drums off?
Is there anything I should look out for or anything else I should do at the same time?
Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
It took me about 1.5 hours and I have never done brakes in my life. I did not get the bolts to pull the drums off and was able to get them off no sweat.

The springs are a bit tricky to get on and off but after doing one side the second side was easy.

Also, there was a bit of trial and error involved in getting the right tension on the shoes in order to slide the drums back on.

They work like a dream now but am noticing that I have some sqeaking still coming from the front brakes. That will be my next adventure.

·
Registered
569 Posts
A couple additional notes...

when I did an autopsy on my original wheel cylinders @122K miles, they were still perfectly smooth with no corrosion. There was moisture inside the boots but it may have been perfectly normal). I replaced them with Raybestos parts which were a perfect fit.

Also, I noticed something when adjusting the drums. You might think you have them adjusted properly, slightly dragging, but when you depress the brakes and emergency brake a couple times, they loosten up, so after you think you have them set correctly, hit the brakes/ebrake a couple time and then recheck.

Cheers....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Some videos

Thanks to Youtube, here's some related videos.

It's not an Odyssey but the procedure is the same.

Drum on an Accord

Adjusting the shoes/drum after installation:

Final adjustment

Hardest for me was putting on the big spring. What a pain. Greasing the center "axle" where the drum slide into helps removing and inserting while doing the final adjustment.

Yeah, I decided to change out all the springs/clips. Quite an inexpensive investment for the peace of mind (less than $20) for the next 60K miles or so.

Oh, and the Bendix for $25/each is still available at the site mentioned on this thread. To get free shipping, I decided to get the K&N air filter. Autozone and other locals are pricing $80+ each. Hope the Bendix is good until the next change.

Overall, it's not as bad as I thought for my first brake change experience. Thanks to this thread!!

Question: what tool does anyone use to install the big spring? For the life of me I could not do it with the needle nose plier....damn too stiff and I kept pressing the cylinder back and forth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2000 Odyssey

chiody said:
Eventually the noises may return. There is a TSB regarding replacement drums.
We have a 2000 Odyssey EX, 112k miles, have been getting major rear brake fade. No pulsing, just major fade. Should we buy new drums, convert to disk from a 2002-2004 model? If we buy new drums, brand? Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just converted my OLD, out of tolerance 2000 Honda Odyssey rear drums for the newer part number rear drums (TSB number).

Got them from honda for $87.00 each which isn't a bad deal at all. But then again, I've got a nice little account with them.

:)

Anywho, I just wanted to let everyone know that I just replaced them and am having no problems with sound and resonance. I will need to get them adjusted and find out what the final outcome will be.

Thanks,

OdyOwnage

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great DIY! Did anyone experience any light clicking when coming to a stop? Also, is there a good DIY on here on how to bleed the brakes?

Edit..clicking eventually goes away after driving. It reappears when the parking brake is applied.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got a complete 2002 rear end ($400) and put the rear disc brakes on my 1999. Took about 3 hours, the hardest part was routing the parking brake cables.

I checked all the part numbers between the 2002 and 1999, basically besides the brakes only the knuckles, brake hoses and parking brake cables are different. ABS plugs right in and the ABS controller is thesame part number. No problems doing this swap.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Re: Dave, Some clarifications

cnn said:

2. Squeaky and Groaning noise in REAR Drum when COMING TO A STOP (like a SCHOOLBUS):

a. Honda TSB 03-013 advises to change REAR Drums:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/sub_care_clinic/1272136.html?page=3&c=y

However I doubt it.
I had new drums mailed from our favorite Honda dealer in the NE (usually the first one you get when you Google "Honda Parts"):
42610-S0X-305 DRUM,REAR BRAKE $82.97ea + shipping.

Sat down yesterday to do the full job but then noticed that I still had 4+ mm with about 60K miles on the shoes. So I lubed what I could by taking off the spring clips but not the shoes and installed the new drums.

My son noticed that the new drums from Honda are designed slightly different from the old ones. Most notable changes are the depth of the braking surface on the drum (its only wide enough for the shoe whereas the old drum had a lot of unused surface) and there are groves or notches milled into the outer surface of the drum. This supports the fact that the new drums are designed to counter resonances (the groaning and chatter we hear from the rear brakes).

While we were at it we also replaced the fronts rotors to take care of the front brake groaning (and put on new pads). I noticed that one of the caliper guide pins has a lot of play and that one of the pads is worn at an angle so, I'll be ordering new guide pins for that caliper.

We also replaced the front sway bar links with the new designed part from Honda (the new links have cool blue plastic dots on the back - anyone know why?). The new links solved the clanking noise that you hear when going over bumps. BTW, the old links had broken lower boots and the ball joint was so loose that you could wiggle it back and forth. The upper ball took a fair amount of strength to move.

Test drive went fine, but time will tell if all the brake work pays off. We have a busy summer driving season coming up!! :)

Sunil

PS, special thanks to CNN for the great info. If it wasn't for this forum I would have driven my Ody off a cliff a long time ago.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I must comment on this terrible stinking squealing problem. In my case, I found the path to the solution (2 sets of drums - Not Honda, final one honda), 3 different types of shoes (again not Honda), new springs, cleaned, greased per the suggestions and I could never get the squeal to go away completely. I saw a poster that indicated that the rear brake shoe composition was the biggest driver of the squeal. I finally got mine to go away by putting on the cheapest crap from autozone and it has worked just fine for several months now.

Just my two cents - try the new springs, new shoes (cheapo!, not metallic) before investing in new and quite expensive drums.

Scott

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have new brakes all around and my van feels like a 747 coming in for landing when I come to a stop. The whole van shakes and the brake pedal just does not feel smooth at all.

Not sure what to do to fix this.

·
Registered
139 Posts
squeeeeel

I just did the steps mentioned at the beginning of this thread on my 2000 odyssey. I kept the same brake shoes, plenty of material left. Not a single bit of difference.

The only time the breaks squeak are when I'm in reverse first thing when I drive away or have been sitting at least a few hours.

I noticed the pads are semi metallic and all four shoes had a hairline crack going up the middle.

cheap shoes next?

Andy

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just changed out our rear shoes after 158,000 miles. They still had some lining left, but were howling when applied at speed with any kind of load in the van. Problem solved.

61 - 80 of 102 Posts
About this Discussion
101 Replies
51 Participants
themanro
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing