Honda Odyssey Forum banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
front discs

I wound up replacing my fronts discs and pads. Problem solved and no more shimmy going down the road. I will replace the rears shoes too and have the drums turned

·
Registered
38 Posts
Replaced shoes and didi the lube of the brake system per cnn write-up. Did not squeal for about 200 miles then came back. Any suggestions other than replacing the drums? Also, If I end up replacing the drums, do they have to be Honda drums or are there any aftermarket brands like Bendix that would work? Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im in Dublin Ireland here and am looking forward to getting stuck in to the rear shoes and pads, but my question is does all of this actually apply to a 4 cyl 2.3lr oddy which has an code RA6, or is it a different build on the rear axel

·
Registered
245 Posts
How to Buy the U Clip!

Answer from local Florida Honda dealer:
"That u-clip is actually number 22 in my picture. It is not available from Honda separately, you would have to buy a set of rear shoes. They are $101.17+tax.... Another option for you is to stop at any hardware store...."
Someone out there probably knows the size? Or just reuse existing clips...LOL, and buy 100 shares of Honda stock. :DD
GL
Joe

·
Registered
4 Posts
RE: replacing ANY brake shoes

From original post:
After the Brake Drum is removed, Study the REAR Brake Anatomy.
Your Ody may be different so you may want to take a DIGITAL PICTURE before disassembly just in case.

This from an old dude: did my 1st brake job back in the '60's @ 17yrs or so...
'52 Chevy, as I recall. Had a buddy working nite's @ a gas sta. (back then the actually worked on cars also) borrowed their lift. I think I had all of a pair of pliers & a screw driver to do the job! I must have busted/banged-up/skinned 12-14 knuckles & I only count 10 today... but that's what it was like.
HOOOYaaa. :D
I've done hundreds since.....
The ONE thing that I have learned.... above all else, when doing ANY brake job,
Drum or Disc..... after removing the wheel &/or drum, do NOT disassemble or remove both sides at once!!!!
Do ONE side @ a time, take apart, clean, inspect, replace all parts.....
THEN do the other side!!!!
U will always have the correct guide right there in front of you when installing the new parts.. no mater which model/make/yr or whatever car you are working on.
Make sense????
Also, as the man said... Never/Ever/Never hit the brakes w/o the drum or
calipers/disk in place. Go ahead & do it once... U will not ever do it again, I promise.
good luck all U knuckle-busters!:cheers:
Gettocar

·
Registered
2 Posts
Clunka-clunka-clunka - truly clunky drum brakes

Great information from all. My Odyssey is a 2000 model with rear drum brakes that make a clunk-a-clunk-a-clunk sound. That's one clunk per revolution I think. This noise takes place only while the brakes are applied and is totally embarrassing when I roll to a stop and people look around to see where the clunking is coming from. My Honda dealer has been unable to fix it. They've cleaned and lubed the brakes which makes the sound go away for just a short time. Then it's back again. Oh if I had only bought the EX with disk rear brakes! The problem didn't appear until sometime after I had new shoes installed by a Firestone dealer. Since I'm not likely to do the work myself as suggested above, should I have them completely rebuilt with all new components including new drums?
:huh:

·
Registered
95 Posts
First of all, I have a 2000 EX and it also has Drum Brakes... The disk brakes came in later years.

Second, please see my post above. There was a TSB and Honda redesigned the drum to fix this issue. I have not had the noise since I put the new drums on. Now, I'm not saying it will totally solve your problem because you stated that the problem started after they replaced the shoes... but it is worth a try.

PS, also, I never recall the noise being so loud that other could hear it in other cars... it's possible you have a totally different issue.

Sunil

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you! Unfortunately, that popular mechanics link didn't take me to any TSB's about Honda Odyssey's or brake drums. Still, I get the idea that the updated drum design might help ...maybe :). Anyway, I'm taking the vehicle in for service tomorrow, so I'll mention that to the mechanic.

Not sure when they started using disks on the EX rear wheels. I bought my 2000 model in August of 2000. If I can remember back that far, I thought the EX's on their lot had traction control and rear disks. I also wish I had traction control as I've spun my wheels on too many icy and gravel covered roads.

Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I bought my 2000 EX Nav in late '99 so maybe they added the disks to the 2001 models then (I doubt they would have changed something that major mid-model-year).

However, my 2000 EX does have traction control.

Good luck!
Sunil

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi all.. So I did our rear brakes today on our '01 Ody -- ok -- I really had them apart several times. Anyway, the main reason for the repeat fooling around was to fix the parking brake tension -- the parking brake easily goes to the floor even after fooling around repeatedly with the tensioner/star dial.. If we spread the tensioner, we were unable to get the drums reinstalled. Is there some other way to adjust this part of the equation that I'm not aware of?

Thx!

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
There is an adjusting nut at the parking brake pedal too. Seems like alot of play in the pedal if it goes to the floor.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi all.. So I did our rear brakes today on our '01 Ody -- ok -- I really had them apart several times. Anyway, the main reason for the repeat fooling around was to fix the parking brake tension -- the parking brake easily goes to the floor even after fooling around repeatedly with the tensioner/star dial.. If we spread the tensioner, we were unable to get the drums reinstalled. Is there some other way to adjust this part of the equation that I'm not aware of? Thx!
Same here...tightening adjuster fixed pedal, but caused drum drag. Redo, loosening star wheel and self adjusting eventually fixed itself. PIA...wish the '01 had disks!
Good Luck

·
Registered
165 Posts
thanks for the replies guys! We drove it this morning to take the kids to school since it's raining and the right rear drum was dragging a little -- I'll probably look at it later this week and may opt to just take it to a local shop and let them dick around with the parking brake adjustment.. I didn't have to do anything last time I did the rears which was probably about 4-5 years ago or perhaps longer. I don't mind spending a little $$ to have someone else do the painful part -- the fronts are easy peasy compared to the rears and the docking around required to get them "just right!".. Oh well..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Parking brake sticking - Daughter destroyed tire

I used this thread to replace my rear 2000 brakes about 2 years ago. Recently we have had the parking brake stick and hold the brakes on in the rear. the pedal releases, but the brake is still on.

At first, you could tap the brakes or press the parking brake on, then off again and the brake would release with a Bang!

It's gotten worse over the past month and I haven't had a chance to work on it. Well my daughter drove the car and drove around the block with the brake on and it released after a while, but she completely wore off the tire treads down to nothing on the contact patch. There went $175 for a new tire....

So I am planning on taking a look at this soon... Could it be as simple as the lubrication on the shoes? Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
7 Posts
So the Tire shop called with an estimate of $650 for 2 new drums, wheel cylinders and shoes. Said the sticking brake was due to a leaking wheel cylinder that soaked the shoes.
The hard to believe part was they said I need 2 new drums? WTH? The Original drums lasted 130,000 miles and 9 years. How is it possible the new drums lasted 2 years and 30,000 miles. Seems hard to believe. They said one is .004 left before being oversize and the other is .020 from being oversized.

·
Registered
245 Posts
No...I don't have a daughter! Sorry I couldn't resist...I do have 2 golden retrievers, but took away their keys about a year ago.
No other issues here. Brakes are fine. My Yok 520 tires have ~10K or less left and could be replaced for free(again) using the Discount Tire warranty. A great deal.
Consider a 2nd and 3rd opinion on the wheels. Or Mik them yourself.

·
Registered
165 Posts
thanks for the replies guys! We drove it this morning to take the kids to school since it's raining and the right rear drum was dragging a little -- I'll probably look at it later this week and may opt to just take it to a local shop and let them dick around with the parking brake adjustment.. I didn't have to do anything last time I did the rears which was probably about 4-5 years ago or perhaps longer. I don't mind spending a little $$ to have someone else do the painful part -- the fronts are easy peasy compared to the rears and the docking around required to get them "just right!".. Oh well..
Well.. I did end up taking the rears apart several more times and found an issue with the lower spring being installed wrong.. All fixed now so no more dragging. However, the one common issue I've had is squeaky sounds when hitting the brake moderately hard or pressing the parking as a test when the vehicle is moving slowly.. Both brakes are making the noise and I'm not sure what's causing it -- we've still got the factory original drums which I had re-ground (but which are still within the wear limits) -- so I do not have the redesigned drums.. Is there some trick to quiet these things up?

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Had the low screeching noise from time to time, shoes looked good lubing didn't help so I put up with it. During its recent service I discovered the cause....

Wow. I've never seen that before. Is that the rear drum?? It doesn't look like it was spinning on there, though.

81 - 100 of 102 Posts
About this Discussion
101 Replies
51 Participants
themanro
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing