Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my van into the Honda bodyshop in Ottawa for 3 days for them to fix the issue of the rear tailgate coming down and hitting the bumper when it closes.

In short nothing got fixed. Here's some pics of it. Now it has to go back into the bodyshop for 4 more days with no vehicle to fix the defect. Notice how the bumper warps up in the middle.

The pictures of the damage to the paint don't do it justice either.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well got it back from the shop. I'm not happy. They just painted over the damage. It now has to go back again for a 3rd time.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok So I lost the van for 2 more days. They managed to fix everything backup and then give it back to me. They had to re-align the rear gate, sand and paint the rear bumper and fix the trim as well. It looks good now but I noticed that there is a substantial wave in the bumper going upwards. So in short the gap between the top of the rear bumper and the bottom of the hatch is about 1/4 of an inch left and right and in the middle its almost touching. So when I start closing the rear gate its now hitting the bumper again.
This was my 4th visit to try and get this fixed.
Should I demand a new rear bumper from Honda ? I'm convinced the bumper was messed up when I bought as we could not close the gate properly and then problem just keeps coming back !

·
Administrator
14,503 Posts
Bumpers are quite easy to align and replace so I think you have an incompetent dealer/body shop. Have all 4 attempts been done by the same shop? If yes, I suggest trying a different shop. If there are multiple shops involved already, there might be more to it though a competent body shop should STILL be able to get it right in FOUR attempts. I think you need a new dealer/bodyshop.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The dealer is Kanata Honda in Ottawa. The body shop is Star Motors. The service manager as the dealership has been very nice and seems like he wants to fix it. As well the manager at Star Motors has been very helpful, but I think were dealing here with a manufacturing defect more then a body repair. I checked on the bumper this morning and both sides are at the proper gap but the center of the bumper is once again touching the rear tailgate. Its warped in my opinion. The guy at the bottom shop did show me a bumper off of a vehicle and he showed me that there is 2 clamps at the rear that hold the bumper on and none in the bumper, hence the reason why the bumper is warping upward in my opinion.

·
Administrator
14,503 Posts
If they wanted to be helpful and fix this right, they SHOULD have ordered a new bumper for you. My local dealer ordered me a new front bumper on my brand new Ody (they tried to replace the internal clip without luck so it did take 2 trips to get to the point of ordering a new bumper)inspite of my asking them NOT to. On your side, you have taken your van in no less but FOUR times. They should have ordered the new bumper the FIRST time they opened the bumper up as they should have seen the internal damage/defect. I still recommend seeing a different dealer or asking your current one for a new bumper point blank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
derek234,
Did you end up replacing the bumper or what is the end of story?
I just got a brand new 2011 EX and have a similar bumper defect, but on the left side - I have a bump that the hatch is slightly touching. I do see some paint chipped off there (on both bumper and hatch). Does anybody know if hatch is galvanized or not? I did notice some light rust there, which could be just dust/dirt.
Thanks,
Cracker.

·
Registered
301 Posts
My hatch and bumper are kinda like this, it is very close to touching the bumper in the middle but I do not see any chipping/scratching or denting of the bumper. (knocks on wood) hopefully that won't happen. The ends are noticeably higher from the bumper than the middle.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Cracker and Rastilin. My bumper is about 1mm from touching the rear hatch. There is now some very minor chipping of paint. In short, when I close the rear tailgate it hits the bumper. It is clearly a manufacturing defect and I'm going back to the Honda dealership in the next couple of days to see the manager and demand a new bumper. Enough of these paint jobs to fix the problem.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went back to the dealer today. I'm not impressed. I wanted a new bumper but they don't see it that way. He did these less then scientific tests about transferring red marker to the tape he put on the bumper. He couldn't see any so he says it wasn't hitting. However there is again damage on the bumper from the hatch hitting the bumper. So I'm going to wait another couple of weeks and have to go back to show how its spreading again from a small 1 inch scratch to a more prominent one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
After installing my hitch I can see exactly how this can happen. I did it myself. If the bumper is off and re-installed there are clips in that that area needs to pop into. In the event one of those don't pop into the correct spot the bumper sits ontop of them. The tailgate will hit the bumper and you will never know it until it starts to wear.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting point. They had to take my bumper off when I bought it to have the rear sensors installed, so they had to re-install it. I wonder if they screwed up on the re-install and put it up too high.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts