Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, so I decided to remove my rear bumper to paint it and I got a good look at the metal under it.

Lets just say it was bad. As soon as I removed the plastic a big chunk of something fell out, I thought it was wood at first, but no such luck.

The entire bottom of the reinforcement was rusted away. A few minutes with the shop vac and I pulled away the loose stuff and heres how it looks.

The van was kept in Chicago for the first 6 years of its life, so it probably got a lot of salt on it, but the past 3 years its been in either Arizona or Florida.

Luckily its an easy part to fix and the rest of the car has barely any rust. It seems like a design flaw where the plastic will let water in but the drainage holes don't let it all out.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The bottom of the bumper.

If you have a van that has been in an area where cars are prone to rust you may want to check it out. It probably won't affect the car too much, unless I get rear ended, in which case that extra steel would be nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
My friends and I always ask the rustproofer to spray the inside of the rear bumper. It always catches and holds a ton of winter salt and grit. In the spring, it's the first place we flush with the garden hose. Otherwise, it remains damp and continues to rust, probably through the whole summer.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I spray Fluid Film in all body cavities. Been using it for many years on other car brands and it works great to stop rust.

Started using it a couple years ago on our Ody when I started to see a bit of rust here and there. Now The rust has stopped.

If you don't do anything the rust will accelerate and eat your car up.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Anybody else has replaced the rear beam? Mine is just completely gone. My usual mechanic is hesitating to touch it as he is afraid of what else might be lurking there. Looking at the shop manual, it seems quite straightforward but he is still not willing to tackle it. Once the plastic over is off, there should be only two bolts and two nuts to remove the beam and no welding should be necessary. Is the place where bolts and nuts reside still serviceable? Do the bolts come off easily or a torch is needed?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Dude these are ALWAYS rotten on most Ody's that have been in a salty place. It's only sprayed with cheap black paint from the factory, and yes it comes right off easily... I find the cause is usually these are filled with road, dirt, salt, sand and whatever else. It stays wet with moisture continuously until you hose it out, hopefully every wash. Stick the hose in the end of the beam and watch the dirt pour out. Cheap and easy fix for anyone mechanically inclined. Indeed it's important for rear collision...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts