Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I backed into another car at Target today who was also backing up. Dented and scraped a part of my Ody rear bumper.

I have a $500 collision deductible and am considering 1) not repairing it, or 2) buying a bumper and fixing it myself.

Anyone know what a 2007 rear plastic bumper costs, and is it a DIY project?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Is it bad enough you can't just pop the dent out? These things are very flexible.

Mine was hit very lightly by a lady a few years back. Just scraped off some paint and it cost $500 just to have it repainted. You can get a plain bumper for around $300 then you'll have about $400 in painting (less prep work than repainting).

·
Registered
194 Posts
Replacing the back bumper cover is easy if you have some basic hand tools (screwdriver, and socket wrench set). How bad is it dented, make sure the inner reinforcement bar is not also dented. I don't know the retail price for a new one but you can always check your local wreck yard or ebay.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
Post pix to determine if to leave it.

Just removing and reinstalling a rear bumper is a DIY project but the new bumpers don't come painted so you're going to need a bodyshop.

BTW. To be fair to others, there are several topics for this.

Search Term : replace and rear and bumper

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76909&highlight=replace+and+rear+and+bumper

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51309&highlight=replace+and+rear+and+bumper

And there are other discussion too.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments. The more I look at this the more I'm inclined to just leave it as there's no dent or crack, and either touch it up with the Honda touch-up paint, or see if they sell a spray version.

I have not yet gotten under it and opened the cover up to see if the metal bumper was damaged. My insurance repair authorization is good for a year.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
FYI, A lady rear-ended us 2 years ago. A Rear bumper replacement at body shop is $800. Her insurance paid for it.

In your case, get some touch-up paint and just touch it up and call it a day. It is Murphy's law, it will happen again as long as you park your van at shopping mall...:)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was pulling out of a parking space very slowly until I heard the crunch in the middle of the lane. I believe the woman pulled out quick, probably talking on a cell phone, and somehow missed the large Odyssey.

My insurance said in cases like this the blame is assessed 50-50 and each insurance company covers their own customer. I'm calling her insurance to see if I can convince them it was her fault and they should pay for a new bumper for me, but I don't hold out much hope.

She was driving a Mercedes and had a minor amount of broken plastic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts