Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spring is here, and the Ody now sleeps outside of the garage. After sitting for a couple of days in the rain, a big rust stain appeared on the light-gray pavers behind the van :mad:

Getting on my knees, I noticed traces of rust from drain holes at the bottom of the rear bumper cover. From the sides, I got a look at the "real" steel bumper behind the cover, and sure enough it's very rusty, paint flakes and all. My Ody just turned 8 y.o., only has 132,000 km, but she's aging. I just had the rear rotors replaced, the suspension is tired, the rear engine mount needs replacing and the big-bucks timing belt replacement is due. We were aiming for a 10-year plan with the Ody, but there's a lot of money to pour in it. Rust is where I draw the line, but the body itself looks fine ... except for the first signs of steel cancer on the left rear fender lip. Darn.

I've been on this forum since 2003, and used it for a lot of DIY (fixed the cruise, the rear wiper, ....). However, I can't find anything on rear bumpers for the Gen2.

What I'm planning to do is to remove the rear bumper cover, assess rust damage on the steel components, hope that it's only surface rust of the steel bumper, clean-up and repaint what's hidden behind the cover, and re-mount.

I could not find anything with the search engine. Anybody here went through this job? Otherwise, I will have to show the way and take a few pics. A shop manual diagram for all the clips and bolts involved in removing the rear bumper cover would be great.

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention that dw, of course, will give me about two hours to do the whole job :rollingeyes:

I found a bumper removal diagram by simplifying my Google search. The rear headlights have to be removed. Too large to attach it here, but I will work-out something.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From Edmund's forums:

"Late reply, but yes, there is a screw on each side hidden beneath the taillight assemblies. Getting the lights out is a trick and a half, as there is a hidden pop-in fastener behind them. Pull the assemblies straight out with some force, but be careful that you don't also yank out the wiring harness (as I nearly did....). "

Looks like I'm going to have some fun!

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Here are some diagrams for you.

While you have the taillights out, spray some RustCheck from Crappy tire in the rear quarter panel. Take the rear fenderwell trim off (carefully cause the metal in them can break and the fit will never be the same) and clean it and the lip of the fender. Apply RustCheck to trim before installing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

I still have a can of Rust Check. I hope I won't find to many surprises when I remove that bumper cover :frown:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Rear fender lip rubber

Along those lines, I was about to embark on a preemptive POR-15 job on one of the corners of the rear fender lip, near where it meets with the plastic bumper and was quite concerned about the rubber molding that covers the lip around the edge of the wheel well.

New Dad - just to clarify, are you saying I can remove that rubber on the lip of the rear wheel well (carefully) and be able to reuse it?

Naturally, I would rather not go to the hassle and expense of buying a new piece if I can avoid it - particularly since we will probably be passing the vehicle on to someone else in the next little while.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Along those lines, I was about to embark on a preemptive POR-15 job on one of the corners of the rear fender lip, near where it meets with the plastic bumper and was quite concerned about the rubber molding that covers the lip around the edge of the wheel well.

New Dad - just to clarify, are you saying I can remove that rubber on the lip of the rear wheel well (carefully) and be able to reuse it?

Naturally, I would rather not go to the hassle and expense of buying a new piece if I can avoid it - particularly since we will probably be passing the vehicle on to someone else in the next little while.

Thanks for the input.
I have the same job to do ... rust seeping from under the rubber lip on the driver's side.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The rear bumper job was done a few months ago, and so far it seems to hold up.

With the diagrams, and the forum info, removing the bumper cover was a breeze. A foam pad the cushions the top of the rear bumper from the metal beam fell off, its locator pins well dry and brittle.

The Ody's rear bumper is only a solid-mount steel beam, a HOLLOW beam, with ends opened up to the elements. Over time, road grime and silt accumulated inside the beam, a good 6 inches deep on each side. The steel face of the beam was rusted through where the muck was.

I sanded / steel brushed the bumper while still attached to the van, painted a coat of primer, added putty over the rust crevices, re-primed, did several coats of rust-proof paint. once that was dry, I sprayed the interior of the beam with Rust-Check, and sealed the ends with Great Stuff foam. Final step: undercoating.

Doing all this with the bumper attached to the van was a nightmare. I briefly tried the bolts that hold the beam to the body, but they're quite stiff.

My advice for someone who's about to de-rust the bumper: soak the bolts overnight and try to unbolt the beam. Best of all: buy a new bumper beam. Found some on the internet for 60-70$ !! Give the new bumper a good coat of wax, install and forget about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm getting ready to replace the Rear bumper reinforcement bar (HO1106150) on my 2003 honda odyssey and was reading the instructions on this thread regarding how to remove the rear lights and bumper. The instructions for the lights says to refer to page 20-61 "Remove the tailgate trim panel". Does anyone know where I can find that document? Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
You don't need to remove the inner tail lights on the hatch in order to remove the bumper. Just the main tail lights which sit right above the bumper.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm getting ready to replace the Rear bumper reinforcement bar (HO1106150) on my 2003 honda odyssey and was reading the instructions on this thread regarding how to remove the rear lights and bumper. The instructions for the lights says to refer to page 20-61 "Remove the tailgate trim panel". Does anyone know where I can find that document? Thanks!!
My '03 Ody rear bumper beam failed inspection too. Mechanic says he sees them rusted out on all the Honda's, but still wanted $600 to replace it. When Rock-Auto showed me one for $116 plus tax and shipping, and all the great help posted here, it gave me lots of confidence. Parts should arrive soon.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just replaced mine on my 2003 exl with 150,000 miles. It was rusted and almost gone What is next I should be concerned a about? Last week was the window motor and this week the bumper. On the upside, this is the first two items i needed to replace.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts