Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am nearly done with changing my 2004 timing belt,h20 pump, tensioner and idler.
I read about moving rear cam in posts slightly if need be. I can not "tweek " or move the rear cam with out it springing forward and once at TDC "tweeking" back wards causes it to spring back.
I ended up just leaving it put at TDC and got the belt on, but I really wonder why it does the springing action??
I was able to get belt on and line up cams and crank, I must of rotated the new belt 50 times and checked all TDC
alignment. I ended up going counter clockwise to re-align the rear cam only back to TDC.
has any one had this spring forward on rear cam, and is this normal.

thanks

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
See my response in your other post. It should not move even if you bump it 1/2 tooth. If all the marks are aligned, just put it together and forget about it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for helpful tips.
I am tying up loose ends ,covers, plugs etc..
what is your opinion on tightening the crank bolt, do you think I need a special tool to keep pulley from moving.??
Is factory torque a big deal for this bolt?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
thanks for helpful tips.
I am tying up loose ends ,covers, plugs etc..
what is your opinion on tightening the crank bolt, do you think I need a special tool to keep pulley from moving.??
Is factory torque a big deal for this bolt?

I would suggest using a torque wrench and pulley holder. Put clean engine oil on the crank bolt threads and between the washer and bolt head. Torque is 185 ft-lbs.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Many auto parts stores will loan you this pulley holder for free.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts