Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I know that there has been a lot of discussions in the forums regarding the rear control arms camber setting (rod end). I understand that installing adjustable arms or replacing the coil springs has worked for some. Now may I ask, has anybody ever used an adjustable camber bolt for the rear (greasable type) being offered by Rockauto to address the same issue? I suppose this bolt replaces the fixed one connecting the rear suspension arm at the bottom if I am not mistaken. A feedback will be much appreciated. Thanks on advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
The bolt that connects the lower control arm to the body is already adjustable. It's used to change the toe.

The only way to adjust the camber is to change the length of the upper control arm. The stock UCA is not adjustable, but adjustable ones are available aftermarket as you mentioned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bolt that connects the lower control arm to the body is already adjustable. It's used to change the toe.

The only way to adjust the camber is to change the length of the upper control arm. The stock UCA is not adjustable, but adjustable ones are available aftermarket as you mentioned.
Dave thank you for the information. I did not realize that the bolts at the bottom were for toe adjustments. I recently installed (DIY) a set of adjustable rods in the rear and later on go for a 4 wheel alignment. However, it also surprised me to learn that the front have no adjustable camber bolts in the struts so I may have to buy a set too for my van. I am just wary about the approximate range of camber adjustment kind of bolts do I need as the previous owner didn't care much about maintenance. I have this concern that the readings may be too far off and the bolts I buy may be inadequate. Any ideas? Also, if you happen to have the OEM references readings I can furnish the wheel alignment guy can refer to will be much appreciated. All my tire sizes and rims are stock. Thank you for your response. This forum is so helpful to all members and greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
However, it also surprised me to learn that the front have no adjustable camber bolts in the struts so I may have to buy a set too for my van. I am just wary about the approximate range of camber adjustment kind of bolts do I need
Yes, the stock setup does not allow for front camber adjustment. However, you can get adjustable bolts from Honda part # 90120-SOX-A00. Depending on the amount of adjustment needed, you can replace either one or both stock bolts.

Also, you may get some adjustment by loosening the three strut tower nuts and shifting the strut.

OEM references readings
Here you go:
Front toe: 0 +- 2mm.​
Front camber: 0 degrees +-1 degree​
Front caster: 2 degrees 7 minutes +- 1 degree​
Rear toe: 0 +- 2mm.​

The factory does not provide a rear camber spec, but same as front would seem reasonable.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response Dave especially the readings. Will get those camber bolts too for install before I bring the vehicle for alignment just to make sure that the van tracks right. If I may indulge you, I read somewhere in a car part site of an ody owner who suffered unusual tire wear and tear. And in his experience sharing, he mentioned that his van continued to wear out its tires despite addressing the possible alignment issues we previously discussed. To his surprise, he was able to correct this problem strangely, by replacing all 4 engine mounts. I am skeptical about this info, but would welcome any input as well. Is it really possible for the engine vibration in the subframe to cause unnecessary tire wear? Would appreciate your comments and thank you in advance. Keep safe.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
I read somewhere in a car part site of an ody owner who suffered unusual tire wear and tear. And in his experience sharing, he mentioned that his van continued to wear out its tires despite addressing the possible alignment issues we previously discussed. To his surprise, he was able to correct this problem strangely, by replacing all 4 engine mounts.
I have to admit I have never heard of bad engine mounts affecting wheel alignment or (front?) tire wear.

From my perspective at least, I don't see how the two could possibly be related.

The internet is rife with "creative" car repair solutions...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe you are right Dave. As DIYers, we can somehow differentiate doubtful information from the real ones. As for a final question, I have seen rear coilover shocks being available for the ody. Are these any goid? I have not yet taken out my shocks but upon inspection, have seen a slight fluid leaks on them. Are the OEM's hydraulic or gas versions? Again, thanks a lot for your help.​

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
I have seen rear coilover shocks being available for the ody. Are these any good?
Coilovers look like they would help to reduce rear end squatting (common in the Ody), but I have no experience with them. Also important is if the shock itself is any good.
upon inspection, have seen a slight fluid leaks on them. Are the OEM's hydraulic or gas versions?
A small oil stain on the shock just where the shaft enters the body is normal. If the stain extends more than a couple of inches down the body, it's in the early stage of leaking but is still serviceable. If the oil extends the length of the shock or drips off the end, it's pretty well toast.

The OEM shock is definitely hydraulic. I think it's also gas-charged due to the fact that it self-extends when the shipping band is removed for installation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info Dave. It is much appreciated. Just ordered the 16MM front camber adjusting bolts and will work on the van this weekend. Will also be installing magnefine filter on the tranny as my order gor the 11/32 ATF hose and corbin clamps has arrived. Hope everything turns out well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts