Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, ive got a 2018 Touring with right at 38k miles. Ive had great luck with my tires, and keeping them rotated. Normal wear and tear on the van, nothing crazy. I go today, to get my (what I believe) is final rotation before replacement and the tech brings to my attention abnormal wear on my tires. Very toe-in, sidewalls almost bald. Didnt notice cause its on the inside, so oh well, new tires it is. Knowing that theyre outta whack, I go over to get alignment.

They proceed to tell me that both rear tires are way out of camber, and Honda didnt build this van with adjustable rear control arms, so id need to purchase the adjustable arms and then get it aligned. Needless to say, this seems ridiculous to me that Honda wouldnt take into account that some day we need to adjust camber on rear wheels. Also, that at 37k miles, barely out of standard factor warranty, these would be this far out of center. Theyre not damage and weve had no wrecks or anything like that. Dude said they appear intact, just not holding the camber appropriately.

He quoted me $750 out the door to order and install, tax and materials. I found the exact part on rock auto and i get buy them for about $120 but im just wondering if anyone has run up on this issue? All the people on the forum talking about this topic seem to be in the older ODYs with higher mileage.

Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
1,069 Posts
Rears do wear funny on these vans, possibly due to how soft rear suspension is. Can you please post the part numbers for the adjustable RCAs?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Looks like your vehicle still under warranty... I would go to Honda dealer and ask for alignment. And they should fix problem, change arms, springs etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rears do wear funny on these vans, possibly due to how soft rear suspension is. Can you please post the part numbers for the adjustable RCAs?

They quoted me 188.51 for the RK100121 - but I dont think they realized I hate a Touring and not an Elite.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Looks like your vehicle still under warranty... I would go to Honda dealer and ask for alignment. And they should fix problem, change arms, springs etc.
How so? Bumper to bumper is only 36k or 36 months, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I do have the extended factory warranty up to 100k or 5 years. I intend on heading down there tomorrow and see what they say.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I was thinking its 60k...
Didn't see anything less...
View attachment 159897
You're in Canada. OP is in US. 38k miles is over 60k km. 🙂

He did mention just now that he has extended warranty. I would check if they cover it before I'd spend money out of pocket.

Reactions: ArmyCa

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
No other way around this issue....put the Moog's on it and get on with life or you'll be wearing out tires until you sell it.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
One item that is not available (yet) for your model year Odyssey is Airlift air bags that fit into the rear coils to provide lift, as needed.

I performed a DIY install on both of my Odysseys, adjusted air pressure to get what appeared to be a decent ride height in back with less camber, and that solved my tire wear problems. As a bonus, the vans rode much better when carrying a full load of passengers or building materials.

That said, I wish I'd gone ahead and spent the extra dough on the automated system that enables the driver to adjust pressure in the bags, on the fly, with an onboard compressor. I have to air them up (or down) for varying loads or an empty interior.

Otherwise, go with John U's mantra ... get the adjustable UCA's, or the camber-induced wear will continue.

John Clark, one of our resident pro mechs, has noted that these adjustable UCA's wear more quickly than the OEM non-adjustable (can't recall if it was the ball joint or rubber bushing end).

Almost makes me want to cut one in half, thread the ends "turnbuckle style" (one end right hand threaded, the other left handed threads) and use the MOOG (or other mfgr) double-threaded barrel nut to join them.

That's too much. Just get the MOOG adjustable UCA's, and when (if) they get sloppy, replace them.

OF

·
Registered
528 Posts
I changed my tires when the van was around 48K miles. All four tires, rotated at intervals, showed no signs of abnormal wear.
When I went in for the very first recall, which was the software update for the transmission, the service advisor told me that my tires were wearing unevenly. Asked him what was causing it, and he could not attest to it; had to put it on the machine, charge me, and tell me. Told him to not bother.
If there is a physical issue due to worn parts or broken parts, then you may want to argue with the service advisor about this. I am an a$$hole and if someone brings up stuff like this and wants to stick me with $700+, they better be good at articulating the problem; not just give me some BS.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, currently at the dealer waiting. They say that Honda doesnt even make a OEM part for this issue so they recommend the exact same fix. I asked if its covered under warranty and he’s running that up the chain but “not normally because suspension is wear and tear”. Yea, I understand but at 37k miles less than 4 years old it feels like this is a design defect. I doubt there going to cover so im sure ill be on the hook for the UCAs. Looking to buy them myself and install then just grt my dude to align for 50 bucks. What a disappointment from Honda on that.

·
Registered
528 Posts
If it is caster issue, shim and bolt kit that is available (fairly inexpensive) can be used, but if its excessive camber, those arms are too much. Regardless, I understand the pickle you are in and the concern with the tire wear. The best they could do is change them with new ones and rule out or confirm, that the issue is 'vehicle design'.
If the parts are changed and alignment is spot on (or within specs), then you can deduce that the part on the van was defective.

Not sure if you had it serviced at the dealer prior, but they do a multipoint inspection every time you go in and they would have brought this up the first time they laid eyes on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure if you had it serviced at the dealer prior, but they do a multipoint inspection every time you go in and they would have brought this up the first time they laid eyes on it.
Yea, the dealer brought up the alignment issues, but they used their laser system that basically just says its out of whack and needs to be put on the machine. They wanted an exorbitant amount, and knowing that I needed tires soon enough, I decided to put it off until then.

After they did their $130 diagnostic, they basically offered the exact same resolution as the alignment place (the moog adjustable UCA) but at only, DOUBLE the cost. Yea, not a shocker from the dealer, but thats where I am. So, I just ordered them myself for $140 from Rock Auto and ill install and make another attempt at alignment with my place and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Before you install them, unscrew the ends and grease the threads. The winter "salt brine" will play havoc in later years trying to adjust them.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yea, the dealer brought up the alignment issues, but they used their laser system that basically just says its out of whack and needs to be put on the machine. They wanted an exorbitant amount, and knowing that I needed tires soon enough, I decided to put it off until then.

After they did their $130 diagnostic, they basically offered the exact same resolution as the alignment place (the moog adjustable UCA) but at only, DOUBLE the cost. Yea, not a shocker from the dealer, but thats where I am. So, I just ordered them myself for $140 from Rock Auto and ill install and make another attempt at alignment with my place and see what happens.
I still cant wrap my mind of the excuse of 'wear and tear', but also offer a contradictory solution of using an off brand (and also non OEM) item to address. Their solution should have been, change the worn out part, align, here is the before and after spec, you are good, pay us and have a good day. Not the Moog route.

If you stand your ground and have them replace it with OEM and have them do an alignment, I guarantee you that the real problem will be evident.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
This is a known Odyssey issue since 1999. 24 model years later those owners are still waiting for the factory to respond.

·
Registered
15 Posts
One item that is not available (yet) for your model year Odyssey is Airlift air bags that fit into the rear coils to provide lift, as needed.

I performed a DIY install on both of my Odysseys, adjusted air pressure to get what appeared to be a decent ride height in back with less camber, and that solved my tire wear problems. As a bonus, the vans rode much better when carrying a full load of passengers or building materials.

That said, I wish I'd gone ahead and spent the extra dough on the automated system that enables the driver to adjust pressure in the bags, on the fly, with an onboard compressor. I have to air them up (or down) for varying loads or an empty interior.

Otherwise, go with John U's mantra ... get the adjustable UCA's, or the camber-induced wear will continue.

John Clark, one of our resident pro mechs, has noted that these adjustable UCA's wear more quickly than the OEM non-adjustable (can't recall if it was the ball joint or rubber bushing end).

Almost makes me want to cut one in half, thread the ends "turnbuckle style" (one end right hand threaded, the other left handed threads) and use the MOOG (or other mfgr) double-threaded barrel nut to join them.

That's too much. Just get the MOOG adjustable UCA's, and when (if) they get sloppy, replace them.

OF
I also did the rear airbag install on my 2007 Odyssey that was eating rear tires - problem solved. Now on my 2018 Odyssey, I haven't yet installed a bag kit but I notice the front tires wear much faster. I figure it's the lane departure warning shake, but not sure.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
I also did the rear airbag install on my 2007 Odyssey that was eating rear tires - problem solved. Now on my 2018 Odyssey, I haven't yet installed a bag kit but I notice the front tires wear much faster. I figure it's the lane departure warning shake, but not sure.
The haptic feel (slightly rocks steering wheel back and forth is kinda like the vibrate in your cell phone that you notice on the steering wheel does not actually go out to your tires, only to the steering wheel.

Reactions: ArmyCa

·
Registered
528 Posts
Depending on the driving style and the vehicle's drive format, it is not surprising that the front tires wear faster.
If the tire wear is uneven, then it would be a concern. If it is wearing evenly, then nothing to be concerned about. However, a stern talk with your right foot about its relationship with the accelerator pedal would be warranted.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts