Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ody 2004 EX, 94K miles. This morning, turned on the rear (RR) climate control to Warm, first (lowest)setting. Got a fairly strong *whooshing* as if I'd cranked it to max. setting. Tried to scale it back - control knob just spins loosely. Knob can no longer control the RR climate control; can't even shut it off.

Pulled the knob, which is now very loose, off the shaft. On the back of the knob, i see what looks like a little electronic chip.

The shaft (and its corresponding orifice on the back of the knob) appears to be a 'D' shape. Tried twisting the shaft with fingers, but shaft wouldn't move.

Question: is it *safe* to use a small pliers to try to turn the shaft back to the OFF position?

That' s an interim solution, I'm sure. Daresay this will be a dealer repair - any comments or advice about repairing this rear climate control, please?

Knowing winter in Houston, in a couple days we'll probably be back up to 70 degrees so I'd REALLY like to at least be able to turn the thing off!

thanx,

Judy in Texas

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can't really tell - was too dark to see, but I don't think it's stripped. It worked OK a few days ago.

Oh, and when I started up the car at lunchtime, the rear CC didn't come on - don't know if it normally would if it's left switched on when engine shuts off.

I'm kind of afraid to try turning it back on again until I see if someone here is pretty sure I can turn it off via pliers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the same issue - did you try replacing the knob? I haven't pulled mine out or replaced it yet, as I've got it working in the RR position and am afraid to touch it and lose all control.

Otherwise, when you turn the knob there are no clicks and the rear fan won't blow. First symptom was to lose low and med settings. When set to RR, all settings on the rear controller work.

Hopefully it's just a knob that's replacable from the front without tearing into the dash (though I already need to do that to replace the OEM 6-disk CD changer. argh.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts