Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't think we can use the remote to open the rear door / trunk door. But I shouldn't blame Honda..since it's a relatively large door compare to regular cars, and even if u have the remote open functionality, it's kinna dangerous to have to door flip up all the way. But from the inside, the only place to open I think will be right by the driver's seat. It'll be better if we can open from the inside of the door though.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
This is interesting. The owner's manual says that unlocking the hatch is with the key--or, on EX models, the remote transmitter also works.

I'm going from memory here, but using the key on the hatch also operates the rest of the locks on the car. It seems that the central locking system is all tied together--and that if I lock the doors using the switch on the driver's door, for example, that also locks the hatch. Same for unlocking.

This means no need for a remote release, since simply unlocking the doors also unlocks the hatch.

There is no inside latch release for the tailgate.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I'm working on an inside release for the tailgate. Right now I've got the "difficult" part done; that is, an electrically operated release for the latch.

The part that isn't complete is getting the hatch kicked out far enough to clear the latch mechanism, so that you can set the locks but keep the door open. I think this can be solved with springs and washers on the lift cylinder rods. I've got some installed right now but they're not strong enough to lift the gate far enough. I need some time to do some more shopping for springs.

Releasing the hatch remotely isn't too difficult; you can do it with a remote trunk release solenoid, and even tie it to the park switch. However, you must modify the standard handle cable because it interferes with another cable pulling the latch.

It looks like the total cost of this modification will be about $30-40.

When (if) I ever get it working to my satisfaction I’ll find some way to post pictures and details.

Email me if you’d like to discuss details.

Mel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts