Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before someone tells me to use the search function, I've already done that. I've found quite a few threads where retrofitting disc brakes onto the '99-'01 Odyssey has been discussed. I understand there are several strong opinions on this forum about the usefulness of such an upgrade and whether or not it is worth the cost. I have seen a few threads where people say they're going to do it and then the trail runs cold and I've never seen any pictures or read anything about anyone completing this modification successfully. I don't really care to get into the discussion of whether or not the modification is "worth it" or "necessary" with this thread, I only care to see if it is possible. So instead of necromancing an old thread, I decided to make a new one.

The first place I started for this project was hondaautomotiveparts.com to compare part numbers between my '00 Odyssey and the '02 model. I cross checked the following subsystems:

• Brake Lines
  • Brake Master Cylinder
  • ABS Modulator
  • Parking Brake
  • Rear Lower Arm
  • Rear Brake
  • Rear Beam
I was pleasantly surprised by the relatively small number of changed parts. Expensive parts such as the ABS modulator are identical between the two cars. Also basically all of the suspension is interchangeable, with the exception of the wheel knuckle itself. Based on my review I have identified the following parts that would need to be procured for this modification:

• The two brake lines running to the rear of the Odyssey have different part numbers, those are 46330-S0X-A50 and 46340-S0X-A50 on the '02 model. The hose that runs all the way to the passenger side rear is relatively expensive, I'd be curious to find out if you actually have to replace these lines. I don't know if Honda changed the fittings or updated the parts to fix some other issue. I'm going to try and see if I can get away without changing the lines.
  • The assorted hoses at the rear of the vehicle, my plan was just to grab all of them, so two of 01466-S0X-A00 and then one of these 46331-S0X-A00 and one of these 46361-S0X-A00.
  • Will also need the brackets and bolts for the rear, but those are very cheap.
  • The only difference in the master cylinder diagram is the vacuum hose running to the intake manifold. Since I'm not swapping motors or anything this won't be necessary.
  • The rear wheel knuckles: 52210-S0X-A10 and 52215-S0X-A10. These are pretty expensive new, but junkyard Odysseys abound by this point and you can find these on ebay for 60 bucks a side. Luckily the wheel bearings are the same.
  • And obviously, the disc and caliper assemblies. For my upgrade, I'm planning on doing these with aftermarket component.
So all in all we're looking at $200 for hoses and whatnot (if we can get around replacing the long hoses it's down to like $50), $120 for wheel knuckles, and then it's up to however much you want to spend on brake components. You can probably find calipers and rotors off of a salvage Odyssey for not too much (no real idea though, ebay is flushed with aftermarket parts). Personally, I'm a fan of Centric, which is the company responsible for Power Slot (mid level brand) and StopTech (high performance brakes). I know there are people on this board who are fans of EBC. I have no real experience with EBC brakes in the automotive industry, but I am a motorcycle track day junkie and their premium racing motorcycle brake pads had a nasty tendency to warp and drag under track conditions which kind of left me with a bad taste. Centric is also responsible for the Posi-Quiet line of brake calipers which are relatively inexpensive OE replacement calipers. Pricing out a pair of those calipers gets me to $240 for the pair new and then rotors for $85 a set. Keeping it in the family, two sets of Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic Pads go for $60.

So when we add it all up, you're looking at something like $700. You could probably skimp on calipers and pads and drop that down, but probably no more than $100. Now it's probably foolish installing brake upgrades on the rear without addressing the front. I'm pretty sure something like 70% of the braking work is done by the front brakes (probably why I keep warping front rotors when I tow the bike trailer over mountains). I'll keep the same brand theme and go with a set of Centric Power Slot slotted brake rotors on the front at $180 for the set and then another set of ceramic pads at $60 and the grand total is $940 if I've done all of my math right.

Expensive? Yes. Could I increase braking distance by putting wider wheels and rims on the car? Yes (but to be honest you'd be lucky to put wheels and tires on a car for $940). But all that aside, I'm addicted to modding.

So in the coming weeks I'll be accumulating parts and taking some pictures for you guys. If anyone can think of a part that I've overlooked or something I need to address, I'd be happy to hear it. I'm sure this job will have plenty of hitches, but that's what makes it all the more fun.

·
Registered
355 Posts
One thing I would look into if you do not already have them is a set of Air Lift helper bags for the rear suspension, especially since you are towing your bike. Probably won't help with brake wear too much but it'll help keep things stable. Other than that it looks like you have researched out what is needed pretty well. It'll be interesting to see how it goes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops, also forgot to include that the parking brake cables are different. On the '02 Odyssey those are parts 47520-S0X-A01 and 47560-S0X-A01. Also there are assorted brackets and bolts there. Those add about $50 to the overall cost. I'm not sure if the cable ends or something changed.

I did the airbag install about a year ago, and you are right; it was a significant improvement in the rear end. I usually run them at 20psi all the time and bump them up to 30psi when loaded or towing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I've been silent for awhile, but I've finally gotten my hands on all the parts necessary.

From the junkyard, I grabbed a set of rear wheel knuckles and rear brake calipers ($50 bucks total).

New brake pads and rear brake rotors, caliper rebuild kits, parking brake shoes and hardware.

Now that I've got everything I ought to be able to try the conversion in the next week or so.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well I've been silent for awhile, but I've finally gotten my hands on all the parts necessary.

From the junkyard, I grabbed a set of rear wheel knuckles and rear brake calipers ($50 bucks total).

New brake pads and rear brake rotors, caliper rebuild kits, parking brake shoes and hardware.

Now that I've got everything I ought to be able to try the conversion in the next week or so.
good luck. post pics and list all the parts in case anyone else is interested in the future. :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Other things to potentially consider:
ABS sensor at each rear wheel?
Cogged wheel that the ABS sensor measures (is it part of the knuckles that you are replacing).
Is there a different proportioning valve for disc vs drum?
Any possibility of different programming for the ABS computer for disc vs drum (for example maybe a different tooth count on the cogged wheel for the sensor)?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I did complete this. I completely forgot about this thread until I came across it in another search.

I would recommend making a trip to a junkyard to get the parts. I picked up both rear knuckles, brake hard lines, e-brake cables (yes the disc brake models have shorter ones), calipers and dust shields at the junkyard and then bought brand new rotors and pads and a hardware kit for the emergency brake as well as e-brake shoes. The wheel bearings and ABS system are no different and you can use the sensors you already have in the disc brake knuckles (just be careful extracting them from your current knuckles). I also re-used my wheel bearings/hubs.

One thing to be aware of, the brake lines are soft lines to the trailing arms, then a hard line, and then a soft line to the calipers themselves. The hard line for the right and left side have different bends in them. Apparently whoever manufactured them mislabeled the lines, so when you order the part number for the driver's side you get the passenger's side line. It comes in a nice bag with the right part number, but the part inside is wrong. Fortunately, the passenger's side line comes correctly. I ordered 4 different ones from 4 different places and they were all wrong, and nobody at the dealer can fix the issue because as far as they are concerned, it wasn't a handling issue because the part number on the bag is correct. I didn't bother dealing with it and just picked up some hard lines from a junkyard.

I will post some pictures, but this is basically a direct swap. You can do this in a morning in your driveway if you've got all the parts.

The part numbers are the same for the master cylinder and the abs components, and abs worked after the swap. Stopping distance was about the same (slightly shorter for disc but not really significant). But, now the maintenance is easier and you get to say you have 4 wheel disc brakes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also just completed this conversion using the information above and wanted to verify that it is correct. The rear knuckles from a slavage 02-04 odyssey with calipers, brake lines, ebrake cables is all thats needed. The abs sensors are the same, however the bracket that holds the line to the knuck is slightly different but can still be used. I ended up using the abs sensors from the salvage odyssey, but one of them turned out to be bad and i had to reuse one from my 2000 drums. The braking seems to be better. I ended up paying about $200 for the knuckles from a local salvage. Not a bad swap to do, will make changing the brakes in future much easier, and it looks cool too.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm picking up some parts for the conversion. Do you just need the short brakelines that are attached to the knuckle, or do you need the long hard ones that go back the length of the van? Also, is there a trick to remove the ABS sensors? I unbolted, but it didn't seem to want to pull out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts