Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was rear-ended pretty badly today (2016 Touring) and thankfully no one was injured. The vehicle is at the auto body shop already but I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on what to look for (e.g. bent frames), how to spot them (do I look behind the number?), and any questions I should ask? Also, any ideas on what total cost to repair might look like (ball parks)?

Looking under the bumper it looked like the gas tank was creased but I’m not sure what else to look at or think about. I want to make sure the vehicle is returned as close as original as possible.

Pics attached to maybe help with responses. Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
My wife was rear-ended pretty badly today (2016 Touring) and thankfully no one was injured. The vehicle is at the auto body shop already but I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on what to look for (e.g. bent frames), how to spot them (do I look behind the number?), and any questions I should ask? Also, any ideas on what total cost to repair might look like (ball parks)?

Looking under the bumper it looked like the gas tank was creased but I’m not sure what else to look at or think about. I want to make sure the vehicle is returned as close as original as possible.

That's not the gas tank back there, it is just the cargo well. Gas tank is up under the second row seats on the driver's side. The van is 'safe' to drive in that it won't explode or anything.

Depending on what your insurance company thinks the thing is worth, they are likely to repair it - but it will be expensive. The broken interior plastics on the side panel do hint that there is some frame damage on that side. Also, just pushing in the bumper beam can pull the mounting points inward...

-Charlie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's not the gas tank back there, it is just the cargo well. Gas tank is up under the second row seats on the driver's side. The van is 'safe' to drive in that it won't explode or anything.

Depending on what your insurance company thinks the thing is worth, they are likely to repair it - but it will be expensive. The broken interior plastics on the side panel do hint that there is some frame damage on that side. Also, just pushing in the bumper beam can pull the mounting points inward...

-Charlie
Ahhh - thanks for letting me know! And this is exactly why I post here, I'm an idiot when it comes to this. HAHA

·
Registered
599 Posts
Glad your wife is okay, seems the van did it's job absorbing the impact.
When you have time, watch these 2 videos that show rear end damage and the repair on the previous model. The Youtuber does an excellent job in all his videos, and makes it interesting.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Good news is no one was injured. The word frame is often thrown around incorrectly so I'll skip the explanation and go ahead and tell you will most likely not have any. What you do have is body damage and structural support damage. You were hit above the rear bumper which is mounted on a cross brace and secured to the frame. If that was pushed in the sides of your van would be crumpled.

Check this video

And this one which does have from damage.

I also attached a picture of a frame. Also please remember the important thing is the family in the vehicle is just an object. Thankfully they are OK.
images.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Rough guess; parking sensors need to be replaced and reprogrammed, tailgate and it's inner driver side taillight and license plate garnish has to be replaced, bumper and bumper cover needs to be replaced, etc.

It's savable. Make sure the van drives straight after repairs. Use all OEM parts, no used OEM, brand new OEM parts. Demand your insurance and body shop, you're gonna have to fight with them but that's the only way.

Glad all occupants are OK. Materialistic things can be replaced but lives cannot.

Just parts will be $5k+.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Make sure you use your own body shop and not theirs. If you use your own you can ask questions and expect them to shoot you straight because they won’t be trying to mitigate cost to the other driver. Don’t forget to calculate loss of value as this is going on the Carfax no matter how perfect the repair.

·
Registered
157 Posts

View attachment 153080
View attachment 153081
View attachment 153083
Any updates?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any updates?

Yes - it wasn't totaled but has about $7k in damages. I'm a bit concerned about the inner frame damage but maybe I'm overthinking it (pics attached). From what I've read, once there is damage it impacts the overall integrity of the frame? Also, any recommendations for calculating depreciation?

·
Registered
328 Posts
The bar across the back there is an impact beam that will be replaced with new. My original concern with frame damage would be to the structure that is 'in front' of the driver's side of that impact bar. If that is still in the correct position, the rest is sheet metal work that will have minimal effect on crash structure. There is no way to tell if that is the case from the pictures though.

-Charlie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The bar across the back there is an impact beam that will be replaced with new. My original concern with frame damage would be to the structure that is 'in front' of the driver's side of that impact bar. If that is still in the correct position, the rest is sheet metal work that will have minimal effect on crash structure. There is no way to tell if that is the case from the pictures though.

-Charlie
the part behind the beam (where the latch for the trunk is) is indeed bent. Is that what you’re referring to?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
https://www.finder.com/how-to-calculate-the-diminished-value-of-your-car

Here is a loss of value calculator you can plug your info into, but IMO after playing with it a bit I think it's light. Assuming a pre-accident value of $25K and using 60K miles and their suggestion of the damage criteria of .5 for moderate damage it suggested a loss of value of $500. I would have expected more along the lines of $1,000 - $1,500 for moderate damage.

·
Registered
328 Posts
the part behind the beam (where the latch for the trunk is) is indeed bent. Is that what you’re referring to?
The hatch latch isn't considered the frame. Those areas should be able to be repaired/replaced by a competent body shop. The part you have to worry about is the area on each side where the bumper beam bolts (along with some structural 'hoops' that go around the vehicle at each pillar, but those weren't involved in this accident).

Here is an image of a 2018 body structure for reference (pretty close to the 2011-2017):

The areas that are of concern are the pink and purple areas.

-Charlie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts