Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are getting a 2017 Odyssey EX-L with Navigation. we want to add the rear entertainment system (DVD player). I would prefer to use the OEM Honda system if at all possible. I think the dash unit is 39110-TK8-A11. I am not sure about the color these come in. I found one on eBay but it has an NH767L after the part number. I think this may be the color code? Our van is Obsidian Blue. I am not sure how to find the color from the VIN.

Anyway, here are my questions.

1. If I get the base unit will it fit in the Odyssey I have? Is the harness in the Odyssey I have going to have a connector for this?
2. Can someone send me a link to diagram(s) showing the cable(s) I need between the base unit and the overhead unit?

If you've ever done this before any suggestions or input you can give would be really welcome!

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
148 Posts
We considered doing this as well, until we got the price for parts to make this happen. Dealer installation was quoted at around $800, the parts were double that and then some. No discounts, no looking around, just straight from the dealer so I'm sure there are ways to get a better price and DIY to some extent, but we decided to pass with this approach altogether. We bought another '16 model instead from another dealer with the DVD built in.

If we'd bought a non RES Odyssey, we were going to buy a few of those behind the seats/headrest screens and centralized DVD/BluRay player for like $250-300.

Good luck!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We considered doing this as well, until we got the price for parts to make this happen. Dealer installation was quoted at around $800, the parts were double that and then some. No discounts, no looking around, just straight from the dealer so I'm sure there are ways to get a better price and DIY to some extent, but we decided to pass with this approach altogether. We bought another '16 model instead from another dealer with the DVD built in.

If we'd bought a non RES Odyssey, we were going to buy a few of those behind the seats/headrest screens and centralized DVD/BluRay player for like $250-300.

Good luck!
Thank you for your quick response! I have found the console mounted DVD player and rear display unit on eBay. My big giant question now is if the Honda wire harness behind the dash has a connector already installed for the player adn if there are pre-inserted fasteners in the roof assy to hold the player in the back.

If we don't do this I think we'll do what you were planning - get the behind the seat screens. They actually seem pretty cool.

Again, thanks for your response!

Mike

·
Registered
13,597 Posts
I don't know about the current models, but in the past the wiring harness for each model was unique. In the second gen (1999-2004) there was an accessory unit available with less function. The main reason to have the full factory unit is for the control from the front and the additional inputs in back. Even then, one has to have the touring to have an HDMI input. For the money, there are way better options aftermarket.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts