Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the van has over 220k miles and is headed for a 3200 mile r/t towing a boat. Original rear bearings, thought it would be good to change them at the house and not on I95. Ordered Timkin hub assy from Rock Auto, and they looked great. More $ than several other options. Unfortunately, the studs have a shoulder measuring .510" dia and that won't clear the holes in the drum/disc. Off to the local auto discount store and of course, all they have is China made stuff in stock. Here is to hoping the China stuff will get me another 80k or so miles.

BTW, easy job. The second side took maybe 15 minutes.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Here is to hoping the China stuff will get me another 80k or so miles.
I dunno about 80K...maybe. I would check them regularly for noise.

Have a good trip.

Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 2003 (owned since new) has 240,000 miles. I recently started to hear a clicking from right-rear; it sounded like a stone in the tire, but none found in several careful inspections...

...so I was pretty sure it was wheel hub bearings. Obtained Timken #512180 from rockauto.com (~$75 each)... several websites cite this as “guaranteed to fit”.

Followed proper procedures including air gun on the 36mm “spindle nut” (BTW, Honda calls this a 24mm nut, because that is the thread diameter).

Checked the hub bearings, and sure enough there is a slight catch or rough feeling once each revolution...

Installed the Timken #512180 hub only to discover the “guaranteed to fit”, did not fit because the stud shoulders are 0.51” (13mm) while the stud opening holes of drum/rotor are only 0.48” (12.3mm)...! Measurements done with a high precision digital caliper.

I knew Timken was a highly regarded bearing maker, and a reviewer’s post on Amazon stated a belief that Timken’s China-made version was of poorer quality than USA-made. So I contacted Amazon and insisted that they ship only the USA made Timken part; the customer service applied a note with my order with this requirement...

Yesterday, I both returned the rockauto.com and received the Amazon. The stud shoulder on the second set of Timken #512180 also has the 0.51” (13mm) stud shoulders! Oh, and also box is marked “Made in China”...

One observation: all the on-line hub photos of Timken #512180 show golden studs, as are my originals, while both sets of non-fit hubs have black anodized studs...

The stud shoulder problem is exactly as reported from the first poster of this thread (though I did not discover this until now).

I have submitted this problem to Timken.

Also, price range of hubs is from $30 to $180 each (that’s the current price for Genuine Honda), with major recognized brand makers around $75-$110.

So now I must determine an alternate maker, since Timken has let me down... can anyone suggest a hub bearing maker they have in high regard?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have had good luck with Moog when Timken is not available. Raybestos use to be of higher quality but I have not been impressed with them as of late.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Who sells the $30 Genuine Honda hub?

·
Registered
26 Posts
End story: the next day, I went to a local auto parts store which carried MOOG, as it was my second choice maker, and price was $99 each.

I measured the stud shoulder before purchase, and congirmed it should fit. These MOOG hubs were installed without issue. And I have now driven about 2,000 miles with no issue...

The Genuine Honda parts on-line were actually $178 to $190 each [i checked each of the 4 major on-line], plus required many days for shipping...

I rechecked my survey of local parts store prices: range was $65 to $113, although one “wholesale” supplier (requires an account) quoted both a higher price ($141, Timken) and a shockingly lower price ($30 for Sure-Stop/Federated).

I was okay with MOOG and the part looked well-made, the bearings felt smooth, the part fit properly and solved the problem!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Thanks for posting the end results. I am glad that the MOOG part has worked out well for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts