Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to run a search, but I have an odd question.
Can anyone here with a 2005 EX measure the distance from the ground to the top of the wheel well fender in the rear of the car? I know that this sounds like an odd question, but we have been going camping as of late, and it seems like the rear springs are not holding up as well as they used to.
The car seems to handle well, so I am just trying to get a perspective to see if the car is sagging or ifs its just my visual imagination. For reference, when empty, I can fit a little more than three fingers between the tire and bottom of the fender. When with the gear and kids in the car...all under 8...its like 1 1/2 fingers. (Not a lot of gear, just tents and normal gear)
Sorry for the dumb question.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Ours is a '06 EXL-RES and I noticed it awhile ago that the drivers side distance between the rear wheel well and the top of the tire is 5/8" lower than the other side when there is noting inside the van. Strange because when I checked 2 other Ody's parked at my kids school and they were the same also. Wonder if it's a design problem with Honda.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Our 05 EX also appeared to always be bottoming out when loaded. I've driven it fully loaded many times (week long ski vacation and also two-week summer trips with 4 bikes on a hitch-mount rack) and it never really bottomed out. In those cases you had to bend a finger to get it between the wheel well and tire!

In an effort to improve towing performance, I just put a set of airlifts in. They have really improved the clearance in the wheel-wells along with the handling loaded, unloaded, or towing.

Just before installing the airlifts, I had Honda take a look at the rear shocks to check if there were any leaks or other problems. They reported that there was nothing wrong with shocks or springs and the clearance (from level ground to the wheel well) was "normal."

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Another option are the Monroe Sensatrac Load-Adjusting Shocks - if they are available for the 2005+ Odysseys. The are a shock with an extra coil spring built around it. Improves the ride height even when loaded. The measurement on my 2001 with these shocks from ground to top of wheel well is 29 ½ to 30 inches - unloaded. The space between top of tire and top of wheel well is 3 ½ to 4 inches FWIW. I should have kept the measurements from before the install but it was significant. Even visually comparing other 1999-2004 Odysseys there is a difference.

·
Registered
469 Posts
How many miles does your ODY have...might be time to replace the shocks.

I been telling my sister since 75K to replace her shocks on her Scion tC, because when I drove it bottom out once. She took it to the dealer they told her nonsenses those shocks are lifetime shocks (100K shocks), she came back telling me I was crazy. 10K later she needs new tires (she just bought new tires at 65K)...I told her I told you so!...It was sicking when I would call around for prices for the shocks, every dam dealership would tell me you don't need shocks, the shocks are lifetime. Am like well whose going to pay to have the tires replace??? Sorry for venting, just piss me off when someone (dealership) thinks they know more about MY car than they do (I say MY because am the one that has service my sister's car since day 1). Plus its how can they know about my car they never had my car for service just one time for some warranty work at 15K.

·
Registered
98 Posts
From the title of this thread, I thought you had the same problem I have. But now I see you were referring to your van's rear:D I usually sit on my patio and have a nice cocktail when my rear is sagging. Doubt this will help your problem though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies and advice.
The van has 72,000 on the clock.
The van still rides nicely, and handles bumps well. Braking is good, and I really never notice any bottoming out....just a visual of my eyes that the rear looks lower than when new, which I am sure is normal. I like the idea of the extra spring on the coil, as my fam is getting bigger....boys 7, 5 and 3 are growing fast, so I am thinking an upgrade on the shocks would be a worthwhile improvement as we are planning on keeping the vehicles for at least another 4 years or so.
Also, planning on adding a hitch on the rear for the bikes, so the upgrade in shocks might be the best route to go.

PS. Is there any way to test to see if the shocks need replacing....all I have been going by is my dads rule of kneeling on the bumper and if you get a lot of hopping after jumping off its time to replace :p

·
Registered
469 Posts
I also been following that rule. I would start considering and shopping around for the shocks and struts. One of my friends trucks (00 Tacoma) 115K on it the shocks are so worn out that I can move the truck up and down with one hand.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
threesunsbrewin said:
***snip***
PS. Is there any way to test to see if the shocks need replacing....all I have been going by is my dads rule of kneeling on the bumper and if you get a lot of hopping after jumping off its time to replace :p
This test will tell you when a shock is totally worn out. A better but more difficult test is to know when handling is less sharp than it used to be or if the car bottoms out. Also check them visually - any leaking beyond a stain around the piston indicates replacement.

Shocks wear gradually over time. They wear faster if driven on rough city streets or highways. If you enjoy driving your van, a shock replacement at 72,000 miles would probably improve the experience. Besides, the rears at least are easy and cheap to DIY.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
New Dad New Van said:
Another option are the Monroe Sensatrac Load-Adjusting Shocks - if they are available for the 2005+ Odysseys..*snip*...Even visually comparing other 1999-2004 Odysseys there is a difference.
I can vouch for this. I installed a pair on my 2003 EX, based on Dad's and others' experiences.

Fixed the sag, restored the ride height and handling. As well, I wished I'd done some "before and after" measurements. However, my wife's 2002 EX is awaiting a set, and there is a visible difference in rear end stance when comparing the two side-by-side.

davedrivesody said:
....Also check them visually - any leaking beyond a stain around the piston indicates replacement.....Besides, the rears at least are easy and cheap to DIY.
Also all true...one of mine was leaking, more than the little bit of a stain, the indication that dave pointed out as being a bad shock absorber; he's right, that was the side that really had some motion when I pulled up on the fender well and let go...the van really wobbled, it needed replacement, so I just did both. The rears were easy to get to. My Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting shocks had to be compressed a few inches with a tie-down strap, but it was still easier to install than other shocks I've replaced on other cars.

"Rear is Sagging." When I first read this thread title, I thought, "Okay, mine is, too...but that comes with age and kids giving you gray hairs and...oh, they're talking about the car."

OF

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Question. Rear is not sagging due to AirLift bags but noticed something with shocks after poor handling. When I put more air in bags, its less but overall drive is bad.

Took out the shock and did a press test. It presses hard but to come up it takes 1 min 40 secs for full release. I did not see major leak but seems weak.

Is this normal time or is it weak? Thx.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Man, I don't know if that's a good way to test a shock absorber for wear. Actually, I don't really know of any way to test a shock absorber other than noticing a leak or poor handling.

OF

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Yeah it might be time for me to order new ones. I will see if they have ones I can look at autozone just to check on it so I don't end up getting them and they were still good.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
First, unless the shocks are special load leveling shocks, shocks don't support weight. Ride height is spring dependent, and I springs can weaken over time, especially if they have been overloaded.

One way to tell if a shock is bad, is to drive on a bumpy/crappy road, with someone following you. If the tires stay planted on the road, your shocks are probably good.

Note, there is no time or mileage limit on shocks, but depend on type of usage. I would say a New York City shock wears much, much more quickly than a Rockville, Maryland (where I live) shock.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The rear of my current van is sagging. Noticed height differences for a few months but just measured today. Front L+R is 29-1/4 in. Rear L 28-3/4 in is less than R 29-1/2 in. I think the jounce is contacting the control arm a lot. I can see the imprint. I already got the kyb rear shocks.

Is it time for new coil springs?

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
surgeon, when I went with H&R lowering springs on my 2003 EX, I replaced struts and shocks with KYB's, including the Monroe's load adjusting shocks in the back.

After realizing that stiffer, lower springs were a bad idea on my locally really bad roads, I replaced these with Moog OEM springs. Rear ride height is back up to par on both ends. I deflated the AirLift bags, and sure enough, with a load of kids and luggage, we got some annoying sag. It seems this is a way of life with all Odysseys. Back up to 15 psi! :cool:

In SoCal, out of the "rust belt", I think your front strut springs will be fine. Rear springs are easy to replace, and I'm happy with the Moog units.

OF

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Thanks OF. When I get the new springs I will insert the airbags and get it ready to install next week. I can do both shocks, springs, and airbags at the same time. I will also try to pre-drill the holes for the 2 valves for airbag lines in fuel fill area.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I've always noticed that the left side is always lower than the right. Even with new Monroe Sensation-Tracs it was the same. I wonder if the spare tire on the rear left has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
I've always noticed that the left side is always lower than the right. Even with new Monroe Sensation-Tracs it was the same. I wonder if the spare tire on the rear left has anything to do with it.
Man, that describes both of our Odysseys, and we do have a full-sized spare tire in the left side of the rear cargo well for each van. We used to tow a lot (boat, rental trailers, etc.), and decided that a full-sized spare is best if something big is on the hitch.

Yes, our left side is a tiny bit lower than the right side on both vans. I wouldn't have noticed it unless you said something.

OF

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Do us all a favor. Take it out or move it to the other side and then let us know. Your contribution will be appreciated.

Thanks! :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts