Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2015 Odyssey SE, the rear lift gate doesn't open a lot of times in the winter. It is not the automatic opening rear door (it's the manual), and when you put your fingers under the lip, there is a button area to press (which unlocks the lift latch). However, in the Winter, I find that a lot of the times it takes 10 times or more pressing the button before it unlatches. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Wasn't sure if this was a known issue or not. Although you have the automatic lift gate open. Mine isn't automatic, I have to open it manually, so the issue is probably different for you than it is for me.
Yes, our 2011 does this. I haven't taken it in yet but there is a TSB for it, but only goes up to year 2014.

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/A16-063.PDF

·
Registered
359 Posts
It's the same, it's the "power lock" for the tailgate, nothing to do with the automatic opening of the gate which is controlled by the fob or button on the dash. All of the trim models are listed in that TSB. There is a separate part number listed for EX-L Navi and Touring, but that is due to the different rear view camera on the handle that has the multiple-views on the Navigation screen.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, gotcha. Makes sense. Thanks for the info :)
It's the same, it's the "power lock" for the tailgate, nothing to do with the automatic opening of the gate which is controlled by the fob or button on the dash. All of the trim models are listed in that TSB. There is a separate part number listed for EX-L Navi and Touring, but that is due to the different rear view camera on the handle that has the multiple-views on the Navigation screen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
On my 2015 Odyssey SE, the rear lift gate doesn't open a lot of times in the winter. It is not the automatic opening rear door (it's the manual), and when you put your fingers under the lip, there is a button area to press (which unlocks the lift latch). However, in the Winter, I find that a lot of the times it takes 10 times or more pressing the button before it unlatches. Anyone else have this issue?
My 2016 SE does the same. Actually, came here while researching the problem. Drives me crazy lately, nothing worse than to stand for 15 min under freezing rain near Walmart trying to open the stupid thing. Have 300 miles of warranty left, going to a local dealer this week.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 2016 SE does the same. Actually, came here while researching the problem. Drives me crazy lately, nothing worse than to stand for 15 min under freezing rain near Walmart trying to open the stupid thing. Have 300 miles of warranty left, going to a local dealer this week.
Yep, it is still happening for me. I may take it in also (as it's starting to drive me nuts). Let me know if they were able to fix it for you.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I encountered the same issue and had TSB done on my 2014 a few weeks ago ... no problems since. Sometimes the tail gate failed to open when it wasn't really that cold.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I encountered the same issue and had TSB done on my 2014 a few weeks ago ... no problems since. Sometimes the tail gate failed to open when it wasn't really that cold.
Problem is, I can only find a TSB for this issue that goes up to 2014 Odyssey. Did you have to pay for the repair?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yep, it is still happening for me. I may take it in also (as it's starting to drive me nuts). Let me know if they were able to fix it for you.
I have a 2016 EX and it exhibits the same problem. My wife kept complaining about it and I simply thought she wasn't opening the tailgate properly until it happened to me last week. The car was parked outside in a parking lot for a few hours (below freezing cold conditions) prior to it. I battled with the tailgate for more than 15 minutes and finally gave up. Tried everything from locking/unlocking doors from the remote, door lock/unlock buttons inside the vehicle (drive side/passenger side) etc. It was quite an embarrassment in front of my wife and two helpers from the store where we had bought the stuff from. Eventually, we stuffed the package inside the van through the sliding doors.
I am taking it to the dealership next week for this problem along with fuel gage warning light not "turning on" on time and slight shudder in the rpm when I lift my foot off the gas paddle and the van is slowing down (flat road). The shudder happens around 43km (26 miles per hr) speed. The rpm gage jumps from 1500 to 1900 momentarily (probably downshifting) and the slight shudder is felt by the driver and the front passenger. Never had this on other Hondas (2003 Odyssey, 2013 Accord, 2004 Civic). It was more prominent when the van was brand new. It has subdued a bit but still noticeable.

Will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a 2016 EX and it exhibits the same problem. My wife kept complaining about it and I simply thought she wasn't opening the tailgate properly until it happened to me last week. The car was parked outside in a parking lot for a few hours (below freezing cold conditions) prior to it. I battled with the tailgate for more than 15 minutes and finally gave up. Tried everything from locking/unlocking doors from the remote, door lock/unlock buttons inside the vehicle (drive side/passenger side) etc. It was quite an embarrassment in front of my wife and two helpers from the store where we had bought the stuff from. Eventually, we stuffed the package inside the van through the sliding doors.
I am taking it to the dealership next week for this problem along with fuel gage warning light not "turning on" on time and slight shudder in the rpm when I lift my foot off the gas paddle and the van is slowing down (flat road). The shudder happens around 43km (26 miles per hr) speed. The rpm gage jumps from 1500 to 1900 momentarily (probably downshifting) and the slight shudder is felt by the driver and the front passenger. Never had this on other Hondas (2003 Odyssey, 2013 Accord, 2004 Civic). It was more prominent when the van was brand new. It has subdued a bit but still noticeable.

Yes, please keep us posted. Thank you :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here is an update. I've visited my local Honda dealership yesterday with the liftgate problem, had 35780 miles on the odometer (Odyssey 2016 SE purchased 3/2016). I have Honda care for 120K miles but wanted to use factory warranty and see how it goes. What a disappointment. Sure, it was 55 degrees outside and there were no problems at the time, but the mechanic acted like I'm insane. "There is no way for us to troubleshoot it, Sir, and it is working fine now" "Here is a service bulletin 16-063 from NTSB, see?" "It is for power liftgate only". "LX and EX models are affected, those are not power liftgate, it fails for all the models". "But it is for 2014 year only, it is not 2016". "So, the next time it happens - what do I do? Break the lock to open the stupid thing and record a video for you?" "I'm not suggesting that. Just bring it here". "You understand that I took time off at work to come to you. It needs to be a cold day for it to happen, and it doesn't do it every single time, I will have to drive 30 miles just for you to test it, and it may work fine after it opens once. And the factory warranty expires in 200 miles". "Sorry, there is nothing I can do. You can leave the car here overnight and we will test it when it cold". I was always questioning myself for purchasing Honda care for $1200+ and it is the first time I'm glad I did it. Otherwise I would have to escalate this thing yesterday using bad words and getting angry at the guy who was probably just following the procedures they have in place. 74810-TK8-A30 switch is $300, with labor it is $500 to replace. Next time it happens will record on video first, then will drive to the dealer to ask the first service person to open it. If it fails for him even once - will make them to replace it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just noticed mine takes a pretty hard press in order to open in cold weather, I’m in San Diego so we’re not talking freezing, more like mid 40’s!

I pressed the liftgate button like I normally do and nothing. Thought maybe it was locked. Took a bit to figure out that the button just wasn’t working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just curious. Has anyone taken a hair dryer/heat gun to the latch on the liftgate?
If so, what happens?
If heat works, maybe for those who have no way to pay for a repair can use an inverter & heat gun on just a warm setting to open.
Yes, it is a pain but maybe a solution for some.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Took the van to the dealer yesterday. It was pretty cold here as I live in Ontario. Lift gate hadn't been opening ever since this wicked cold spell came in. After inspection, I was told the handle switch freezes in cold due to water leaking into it. I am assuming it is the rubber part which has sealing issues. The paperwork says "Ordered new handle assembly- part back logged-will call when part comes in". Van only has 12K km on it so it should be covered under warranty. However, I must say it is pretty inconvenient to go grocery shopping or any kind of shopping or take a trip with a lift-gate that doesn't open. I guess we are staying home for the holidays.

·
Registered
7 Posts
An update. I've tried to play with it a little bit more (finally it is 28-35 degrees outside) and have noticed that my spare fob, the one I've never used before, works fine all the time, 100% reliable at the moment. While the original one I've been using for 2 years works OK to unlock/lock the passenger doors and start the car, however and it is my guess only, Honda's Smart Entry System is extremely sensitive to the battery voltage and the tailgate area doesn't read the signal correctly on the old fob anymore when it gets colder. Need to replace the battery to say for sure. There is a $30 part 38387-TZ5-A11, antenna assembly, and this image shows no less than 3 antennas in Odyssey https://www.hondapartsnow.com/diagrams/large/smart-unit-2837150.png
I'm not sure now if the tailgate switch is my original problem... The last time it didn't work it was cold but no ice or snow, maybe 35-38 degrees. I know the fob is supposed to beep and the start button to flash when the battery gets low but the signal strength is apparently fine everywhere except the back area. How cold weather may affect the rear antenna only - I have no idea. Honda decided to save $10 by not placing a button to manually activate the tailgate from the driver seat, that's what the problem is...

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Here is an update. I've visited my local Honda dealership yesterday with the liftgate problem, had 35780 miles on the odometer (Odyssey 2016 SE purchased 3/2016). I have Honda care for 120K miles but wanted to use factory warranty and see how it goes. What a disappointment. Sure, it was 55 degrees outside and there were no problems at the time, but the mechanic acted like I'm insane. "There is no way for us to troubleshoot it, Sir, and it is working fine now" "Here is a service bulletin 16-063 from NTSB, see?" "It is for power liftgate only". "LX and EX models are affected, those are not power liftgate, it fails for all the models". "But it is for 2014 year only, it is not 2016". "So, the next time it happens - what do I do? Break the lock to open the stupid thing and record a video for you?" "I'm not suggesting that. Just bring it here". "You understand that I took time off at work to come to you. It needs to be a cold day for it to happen, and it doesn't do it every single time, I will have to drive 30 miles just for you to test it, and it may work fine after it opens once. And the factory warranty expires in 200 miles". "Sorry, there is nothing I can do. You can leave the car here overnight and we will test it when it cold". I was always questioning myself for purchasing Honda care for $1200+ and it is the first time I'm glad I did it. Otherwise I would have to escalate this thing yesterday using bad words and getting angry at the guy who was probably just following the procedures they have in place. 74810-TK8-A30 switch is $300, with labor it is $500 to replace. Next time it happens will record on video first, then will drive to the dealer to ask the first service person to open it. If it fails for him even once - will make them to replace it.
Save your tears and frustrations. Been there, done that. I recorded the event, I called and asked whether this is enough to get the car serviced, got confirmation.
Brought the van in, was too warm and problem did not exhibit. Got the corporate line, no problem, no fix.
Just ended up taking it to a different dealer. Mine was a steering pump problem on 3rd gen, also cold related.
Calls to Honda corporate went without satisfaction either.
That's just the way they operate unfortunately.
Another dealer was more sympathetic to my pleas and fixed the problem with known outstanding TSB.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts