Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another update. During a very cold day a week ago (25 F, windy, some humidity, no sun) I had the lift gate finally dead completely. Saturday evening, went to the local dealership on my way home and the service department was closed. Asked sales guys to test it for me just to make sure. Two guys spent 20 min trying different things before giving up. They were looking to hear a click inside to make sure it is not frozen but got nothing. Gave me their cards to tell the service people to call them. Went to service today (20 F, sun, dry weather) - stupid thing worked well, but with sales people involved got a loaner car and dealer is replacing the rear switch after calling Honda.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Took the van to the dealer yesterday. It was pretty cold here as I live in Ontario. Lift gate hadn't been opening ever since this wicked cold spell came in. After inspection, I was told the handle switch freezes in cold due to water leaking into it. I am assuming it is the rubber part which has sealing issues. The paperwork says "Ordered new handle assembly- part back logged-will call when part comes in". Van only has 12K km on it so it should be covered under warranty. However, I must say it is pretty inconvenient to go grocery shopping or any kind of shopping or take a trip with a lift-gate that doesn't open. I guess we are staying home for the holidays.
Yep. It's still driving me nuts!! Came out with the groceries the other day and stood there for 15 minutes trying to open the damn rear lift gate. It was cold -15C (in Ontario). I had a few choice words for it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Just curious. Has anyone taken a hair dryer/heat gun to the latch on the liftgate?
If so, what happens?
If heat works, maybe for those who have no way to pay for a repair can use an inverter & heat gun on just a warm setting to open.
Yes, it is a pain but maybe a solution for some.
That's not a bad idea, but is a LOT of wasted electricity. It would be more reliable to attach a heating resistor (I'd think probably ~ 15-20W (10-15ohm) would be enough to warm it within a 15-20sec if in direct contact) to the switch assby. Of course, it'd require some DIYing (relayed and fused board with temp cutouts, and/or timer) to be safely done. We put them on ALL the pots, ecrs, switches, and electronic components, on trucks going in and out of blast freezers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just want to post/subscribe. Very glad to have found this.

We've had the same situation on our 2016 EX Odyssey. Sometimes it will work sometimes it won't. Like some others we've given up and just throw groceries in the second row. I haven't had time to look into it and figured taking it into the dealer likely won't help unless I have some more info on my end.

This thread helps in terms of correlating it to the weather. Unfortunately (for the purpose of investigation), the weather today has turned up and may not display the issue.

Thanks for the TSB and other info!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took our Odyssey in for the same reason. Service guy told me it's a known issue that Honda is currently investigating and there's nothing they can do about it, but they have gotten four complaints just in recent weeks about it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Update.

Took my van to the dealership and they replaced the rear tailgate lock/unlock switch. It works fine now. Since the van is still under warranty, there was no cost to me. From this forum, it seems like this issue is becoming widespread so there might be more to than just a few bad parts. For the slight shudder, they made an excuse and bailed out. Since I have the winter tires on (with no TPMS), their excuse was that they won't be able to read error messages with the TPMS light on. I have to take it back once I swap my tires back to all season.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We have had this issue on and off starting in the Fall on my 2016 Honda Odyssey EX as well.

I have called the dealership and booked an appointment.

I will also call into Honda corporate to let them know.

I will report back in this thread on my results.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We have had this issue on and off starting in the Fall on my 2016 Honda Odyssey EX as well.

I have called the dealership and booked an appointment.

I will also call into Honda corporate to let them know.

I will report back in this thread on my results.
The dealership will be replacing the tailgate actuator under warranty. They need to order the part in so that it can be replaced.

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You're welcome. So, how did you go about getting them to agree to replace it under warranty? Did they acknowledge there is an issue and agree to cover it right away, or did you have to fight with them to get it covered?
The dealership will be replacing the tailgate actuator under warranty. They need to order the part in so that it can be replaced.

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You're welcome. So, how did you go about getting them to agree to replace it under warranty? Did they acknowledge there is an issue and agree to cover it right away, or did you have to fight with them to get it covered?
My conversation started on the phone about the lift gate not opening.
I mentioned to them that I had been having on going issues with it for a while I was no longer able to open the lift gate.
They mentioned that they would need to inspect and then decide if it would be covered under warranty or not. They also mentioned that it might be weather related as it was quite cold outside.
I said that is fine and reminded them that it had been an ongoing issue for a while and that from the beginning, the lift gate was not opening smoothly. The locking mechanism was disengaging, re-engaging and then disengaging again when I was opening the lift gate.
I booked the appointment and brought it in. They inspected and determined that it was faulty and would be replaced under warranty.
I booked another appointment once they received the part and had the locking mechanism replaced. From the moment I set foot in the dealership it took approximately an hour to get the van back.
The lift gate now opens smoothly again.

At no point during my conversations with them did they acknowledge that this was a known issue.

Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thank you for the reply. Much appreciated. Glad your lift gate is working properly again. I'll try and get it fixed the same way as you did. Cheers.
My conversation started on the phone about the lift gate not opening.
I mentioned to them that I had been having on going issues with it for a while I was no longer able to open the lift gate.
They mentioned that they would need to inspect and then decide if it would be covered under warranty or not. They also mentioned that it might be weather related as it was quite cold outside.
I said that is fine and reminded them that it had been an ongoing issue for a while and that from the beginning, the lift gate was not opening smoothly. The locking mechanism was disengaging, re-engaging and then disengaging again when I was opening the lift gate.
I booked the appointment and brought it in. They inspected and determined that it was faulty and would be replaced under warranty.
I booked another appointment once they received the part and had the locking mechanism replaced. From the moment I set foot in the dealership it took approximately an hour to get the van back.
The lift gate now opens smoothly again.

Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wanted to update this thread and mention that the tailgate is AGAIN not working now that the colder weather has hit us in Ontario. This is absolutely ridiculous.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quick update from me also.

I checked the link yo the service bulletin posted in this thread earlier and it was updated to include odysseys from 2014 to 2017 (mine is a 16).

The dealer took our van in one morning, barely cold enough but it didn't open up on the first pull. Combine that with the service bulletin they changed it.

So far have not had the problem again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2016 SE here, purchased 3 months ago. Experienced this very frustrating issue a few times now in below freezing temps (Wyoming). Thanks for all the updates, glad to see they have expanded the service bulletin to include more years/trims. Now to get to a dealer....1.5 hours away. :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Along side the issue regarding tailgate, you all need to sit in the 3rd row, have another driver drive around to see if you hear any rattle in the rear gate. I sure did, and there is a TSB for this fix. I am not sure if should post this in seperate topic, but lets start from here to see if it gains enough traction to seperate this topic.

It sounds like rear gate is not closed all the way while driving down the highway. My kids never said anything about this, cause they always have headphone/earphone listening to something...

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2016 SE does the same. Actually, came here while researching the problem. Drives me crazy lately, nothing worse than to stand for 15 min under freezing rain near Walmart trying to open the stupid thing. Have 300 miles of warranty left, going to a local dealer this week.
I have 2016 SE and have the same problem. It takes at least 5 minutes of trying in order able to open the window. What is the solution?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have 2016 SE and have the same problem. It takes at least 5 minutes of trying in order able to open the window. What is the solution?
Did you read the thread? There is an updated part for the release button on the tailgate that needs to be installed. It will either be warranty work or out of pocket, depending on the state of your warranty.

-Charlie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you read the thread? There is an updated part for the release button on the tailgate that needs to be installed. It will either be warranty work or out of pocket, depending on the state of your warranty.

-Charlie
Charlie,

My 2016 SE does not come with an auto open and close tailgate. We have to open it manually, I am not sure I need to do that.

Thanks,

Jdang

21 - 40 of 42 Posts