Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Surgery is scheduled for tomorrow

I got both control arms today and pre-drilled the holes for my air bags. I will take it back to the O.R. after work and change them both out. Will write back to let you all know how it goes. Thanks Richard for the write up.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Control arms done

Replaced both rear control arms this afternoon. Those bolts were quite tough to cut through. Toasted 6 Milwaukee bi-metal cobalt blades. Once the bolts were cut everything else was very easy and straight forward. I coated the new bolts and the insides of the bushing sleeves on the new control arms with white grease and put it all back together. The only drag was I lost one tiny spring clamp that goes on the hose to one of the airlift bags. Darn thing slipped out of my needle nose pliers and lord knows where that thing went. Had to buy a seven dollar set of 35 clamps of various sizes so I could get two that would fit the small air hoses. Will get the alignment checked tomorrow.

P.S. If anyone is need of a spring clamp for say a lawn mower gas tank, vacuum line, old college beer bong ect, let me know. Chances are I have a clamp that will fit.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I followed Richard Casto's procedure and had the complete job plus shocks done in less than 2 hrs. The saws-all approach was fast and clean, about 3 min per cut. Used one blade for the whole job. I wouldn't bother with a grinder, too tight a fit and would require a significant amount of steel to be ground away.
Awesome advice Richard. The lower control arms cost me $78ea plus shipping from Manchester Honda (Connecticut) http://www.manhonda.com/parts.cfm

Thanks again to all the forum members for your support.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Richard,
Thank you for verifying that cutting is the best option. I'm about to start this project six years later with a 1996 Ody. I suppose my Ody (160k) is aging better than most.

Cheers,
Rob

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
rear lower control arm bushing

Came across this REAR lower control arm bushing from AC Delco while searching on rear coil spring. Honda does not sell a bushing.

Has anyone tried replacing this $28 vs entire assembly $95?

ACDelco 45G11062 Professional Rear Lower Suspension Control Arm Bushing
www amazon com/ACDelco-45G11062-Professional-Suspension-Control/dp/B000C9KZ8Q/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1434728033&sr=8-9&keywords=2001+honda+odyssey+rear+coil+spring
rearlowercontrolarmbushing.jpg

·
Registered
158 Posts
Replaced both rear lower control arms this weekend. I did as others have done. Cut thru the bolt and bushing at the mount point on the car. On the right side I used only sawzall and on the left side I first used a 5" cutoff blade on an angle grinder and then finished the cuts with the sawzall. The angle grinder was fast.
Pic showing angle grinder cut 1/2 way thru the bushing/bolt.

Used 6 sawzall blades in total.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2000 Odyssey EX that has about 96K miles on it. Just now getting to the point that non-regular maint. items are starting to be an issue.

Last set of tires showed odd wear patterns and this pointed to the need to align the car. When they tried to align the car they said that a bolt was frozen in the rear and they were not able to correctly align the car. I looked and the eccentric bolt on the lower rear control arm (used to adjust rear toe) would not budge. I bought two of the special bolts, washers and nuts to swap these out so I could get a proper alignment.

I tried to swap them out this past weekend and found that I was unable to remove the bolt from either side. One side moves (you could barely adjust toe if needed), but it is extremely hard to rotate. The other side is frozen nearly solid. As best as I can tell the rubber bushing on the end of the control arm has a metal sleeve that the bolt runs through. I suspect that the bolt/sleeve is rusted so the bolt will not turn. After plenty of PB Blaster and some heat (didn't want to melt rubber), I was able to barely get the frozen one to rotate (but not nearly enough to really do any adjustment). Even then, all I am really are doing is twisting the bushing instead of getting the bolt to rotate in the sleeve. Any more abuse is going to damage the head on the bolt.

My next plan was to just order new bushings, cut out the old bushings and bolt, press in new bushing and then be set for the alignment. But after looking at both SL Honda and Majestic's online parts, I don't see a part number for the bushing. Just the entire lower control arm which I "assume" would include the bushing.

I have searched here and haven't found any posts that help. So, after the long winded explanation, my questions are...

1. Are the bushing available and I just can't find them on SL Honda/Majestic's site?
2. Anyone else run into this problem?
3. Does the replacement arm include the bushings?

I really don't want to spend $80 x 2 to get this fixed if I can get by with just the bushings?
Check Youtube. There's a post there about how to fix this issue.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts