Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night I had to look up an address, and as soon as I pulled out the map book my 2.5 year old son wanted it (he likes flipping through it). So I passed it back to him, and flipped on his reading light - the first time I have used it. 10 minutes later I realized he was too quiet and looked back to check on him.

The reading lights are really cool - He was bathed in light with the map book open in front of him - looking for all the world like he was deeply engrossed in a great novel. I felt very proud seeing my little guy doing something that looked so grown up! That's when I noticed the book was upside down....

·
Registered
59 Posts
That's the way my wife reads maps! What ever direction you are traveling, that's the side of the map that goes up. That way right turns an the map are right turns on the road. Makes perfect sense, right? When we are on a road trip I drive and she navigates. If I ask her for directions she just says "follow my finger" and points the way. We always seem to find our way home.

-John

·
Registered
331 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SloopJohnB:
That's the way my wife reads maps! What ever direction you are traveling, that's the side of the map that goes up. That way right turns an the map are right turns on the road. Makes perfect sense, right</font>
I read the results of a study regarding the visual/creative differences between men and women and one result is that most men hold maps up and down and women tend to turn and flip them to point in the direction they are headed.

My wife does the same thing - it drives me nuts. She turns the trip tix on a southernly route up so everything is upside down.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by robr2:
I read the results of a study regarding the visual/creative differences between men and women and one result is that most men hold maps up and down and women tend to turn and flip them to point in the direction they are headed.</font>
Another study I read said that men are more likely to be oriented by absolute directions and women by visual clues.<ul>[*]Men: Go 5 miles west on I-10, exit north onto La Brea Blvd, proceed 4 miles to Sunset Blvd, turn left (west) and pull into the parking lot at 77 Sunset Blvd (on the left).[*]Women: Go towards the ocean on the Santa Monica Freeway, get off just past the long row of palm trees near the Mobil station, go towards the Hollywood sign, turn left at Pink's Hot Dog stand, park on the same side as the Gucci store just before the Roxy nightclub.[/list]

I read somewhere, it must be true!

Regards,

------------------
Maugham

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EXL
'85 Prelude
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green Grass stains and '01 White Laces w/ Frayed Tips

·
Registered
113 Posts
ME: Turn left at the next light.
WIFE: OK

Moments later...
ME: Your OTHER left.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know that my 5yr old daughter loves the reading light also. As soon as she hops in, the light goes on, I think I am going to invest in one of those battery savers! It really keeps her quite on a ride, she enjoys that she can read a book at night now.

I am still interested in a previous post I saw about a possible way to have the light have a timer on it. Any more thoughts?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SloopJohnB:
That's the way my wife reads maps! What ever direction you are traveling, that's the side of the map that goes up. That way right turns an the map are right turns on the road. Makes perfect sense, right? When we are on a road trip I drive and she navigates. If I ask her for directions she just says "follow my finger" and points the way. We always seem to find our way home.
-John
</font>
Here's a question for owners with Navi systems:
Will people who orient paper maps in the direction of travel set the Navi map display so that up is always the direction of travel? (That option is available on the three most zoomed in views; press the 'N' arrow in the upper right of the display.)

I tried using that mode a few times and found that in the upside down or sideways views of the map it is nearly impossible to intrepret surrounding areas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts