Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rear sill (plastic part that closes where hatch comes) is easily scuffed if you are sliding boards/2x4's/sheets of plywood in and out of the car. (Ask me how I know this!) What can be done to protect this? I will likely carry some stuff like this on a semi regular basis, and don't want to buy a trailer for these small trips.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I thought about it too, as I noticed some very minor scuff marks on the side panels of the trunk. I want to ensure the bottom sill doesn't get scuffed up in the future.

In my Saab, the hatch sill is covered by a plastic piece that cracked in a few spots and got worse as I load/unload stuff in the trunk. That trim piece is hard to find in good shape, so I decided to get a piece of carpet or something similar to protect it. Went to Home Despot, found a 3'x4' piece of charcoal doormat (matches color of trunk liner) which was perfect size width-wise (3'). With the mat length longer than the trunk (north-south), I simply tuck the extra length of the mat closest to the hatch opening under itself, and when I am loading/unloading stuff that might scuff or damage the sill trim even more, I un-tuck the mat and let it hang over the sill to protect the trim until I'm done.

HD lists it for $22, but I bought it on sale for $10 :)

Multy - Platinum Charcoal, 3 Feet x 4 Feet - 1000927 - Home Depot Canada

I'll get a 2nd piece to go into the Ody rear.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you keep the 3rd row seats up? I use the 'bin area' where the seats go all the time, and only sometimes fold the seat down. In this case, had the 40 seat up, 60% portion down, 8th seat pulled out and all the wood went along the middle section of the van...

Wonder if you could put something smaller just over the sill piece... ?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Do you keep the 3rd row seats up? I use the 'bin area' where the seats go all the time, and only sometimes fold the seat down. In this case, had the 40 seat up, 60% portion down, 8th seat pulled out and all the wood went along the middle section of the van...

Wonder if you could put something smaller just over the sill piece... ?
If you just want something on top of the sill, maybe try one of those hot water pipe insulators ?

Since they're already split, just open it up, slap some double-sided tape on it and press onto the sill piece. Just an idea.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Grip tape would help, but would inhibit sliding.

Think about this - what about some plastic lawn edging, trimmed to the right width, and held in place with that double-sided foam-backed tape? It would stay stuck, allow sliding, and be pretty durable.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd like something cooler looking than a big foam bumper... wonder if there is a carbon fibre wrap or something... :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'd like something cooler looking than a big foam bumper... wonder if there is a carbon fibre wrap or something... :)
Don't forget it'll have to be cross-drilled for maximum performance, not to mention it'll reduce your fuel consumption by up to 15% ;);)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And stickers.. it has to come with stickers...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts