Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an 01 with 133,000 miles on it. This is a work vehicle and carries my tools and supplies. I am carrying quite a bit of weight, most of it behind the front seats, but a significant amount of weight over the rear wheels. I've noticed the rear seems to ride very low. I tried my own comparison test against an '02 Odyssey. I tried fitting my fist between the top of the tire and the fender. I was able to do this on the other Odyssey but not mine. Not very scientific but kind of confirmed what I already knew. Plan is to replace the springs.
I saw all the posts regarding the airbag systems. I don't believe this would work for me. It seems the airbag system is OK for occasional use, but I don't think it's the answer for every day use.

I came across a product made by Timbren: AEON Springs. It actually replaces the bump stops and works with the springs. It helps control any rear sag, stiffens the ride a bit and helps in vehicle stability and they are incredibly easy to install. I will also be replacing the springs, probably go with an after market spring with spring rates similar to the oem rates.

My question is, has anyone else used the Timbren product and does anyone have any suggestions re: spring replacements?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I have airbags in the back of my van and have been very pleased with them. The bags have a lifetime warranty and you can control them dependent on pressure added. I have Timbrens on the front of my Jeep because I have a plow on it. They do the job but stiffen the ride. If I would have known about the airbags I would have installed them in my truck instead of the Timbrens. Maybe being a work vehicle you wouldn't notice the stiffness in the rear.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are right, as a work vehicle I really don't care about potential stiffness to the ride.
I just want something I can install and forget. I don't want to screw around with monitoring and adjusting air pressures. I want to keep it as simple as possible. I just ordered some new Moog springs for the rear. These may very well do the job without the Timbrens. But, I figured the Timbrens can't hurt. Once I've got the springs out I don't want to add the Timbrens later and have to remove the springs again. Prior to this Ody I've had a Ford Aerostar and a Windstar as my work vehicles and never needed any additional rear supports. The guys that work for me use have used, Ford, Chevy, Pontiac and Toyota passenger vans none ever needed additional rear support. This is the first time in 20 years this has been an issue with any of our prior work vans.
Sounds like aside from the stiffer ride you are happy with the performance of the Timbrens on your Jeep.
Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've run the Airlift bags for over two years now in my van which is used as a work vehicle with hundreds of pounds of weight in the rear and have not had any issue with the bags at all. I leave them pumped up at about 30 psi and just leave them like that all the time. I check them ever month or so but have never had to do anything. Just like changing springs or adding helpers they increase the ride stiffness as well. I think for your application though the Timbrens will probably work best as you don't have to worry about a possible leak.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greg,
I did not realize the air bag system could be left inflated indefinitely. I thought it was for temporary use.
But, for my purposes I am more comfortable with the Timbren Springs. They do not require any maintenance or monitoring and cannot fail. As reliable as the air bag systems are, they still require some monitoring and still have the potential for a leak or other type of failure.
Thanks.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Monroe also makes a Load-Adjusting Shock. Basically a shock with an extra spring. I have a large family to haul and helps with the leveling in the rear.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Sounds like aside from the stiffer ride you are happy with the performance of the Timbrens on your Jeep.
Thanks for the response.
Ok except for the no load ride, I pretty much have ignored them since I installed them. As for the springs on the van, they seem to be setup for maximum comfort not load bearing. Mine's always squatted some when full which is why I added the bags. It has independent rear suspension unlike some of those you mentioned. Did you pull all the seats? The hideaway one is really heavy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New Dad New Van, I did consider the Monroe Load Adjusting Shock, but I did not think that would solve my problem. I think it's more of a spring issue. The springs really carry the brunt of the load.

Mike:The seats are gone but the 3rd seat is stowed. That's 1 of the features I liked about the Odyssey.
My first work van was an almost new Aerostar. Put 225k on it before it was not worth repairing(all wheel drive trans problem). I took all the seats out and stored them in my basement. Then when we moved I moved them to our next basement. These were a bitch to move. They were all really heavy and very bulky. 2 captains like seats and a 3rd row bench. Threw them into the van when I got rid of the van. Next van was a more used but very low mileage Windstar. Seats were like new. Could not give them away-so I threw them away. I was not dragging those into my basement. What I liked about the Ody seats, are that the 2 2nd row buckets are fairly light, fold up into a neat little package and easy to store. This time in my attic. And I liked that I did not have to drag around the 3rd row bench seat. Yes, it adds some weight--but I guess I'll live with it. My new springs should show up in a few days along with the Timbrens. I hope to get them installed fairly quickly. I'll post the results once I get some miles under my belt with the new set up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts