Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this mixed into another thread, but thought it was important enough to have it's own thread.

For owners of 2005-2010 Odysseys, if you are experiencing clunking from the rear while going over bumps and you're having a hard time isolating the source, you might want to save yourself some bucks by changing out the rear shock absorbers.

I just went through this w/ my 2008 LX at 44K miles and couldn't find the source of the noise with a pretty thorough inspection on my part. In fact, when I took it to the dealer, they were stumped as well. They suggested putting a new shock on the problem side to see if the noise goes away and sure enough it did.

I wasn't willing to pay $150+ for a Honda shock, so they sourced me a KYB aftermarket shock. It really did make a difference. The van does seem to ride much better even though I've got the original on one side and a new KYB on the other!

The KYB part number for 2005-2010 Ody rear shocks is: 349091. They can be mail ordered for around $40 ea and are super easy to change out yourself. Two small bolts up in the wheel-well and one larger lower bolt. Jacking up the back end and removing the wheels is all the access you need.

I wish I would have caught this myself before I paid the dealer ~$230 to change out one shock. For ~$80 and little time, I could have done it myself.

Joel

·
Registered
617 Posts
A dealer changed one rear shock and not both as a set? Worse, they left the OEM Honda shock on one side, and replaced the other side with with a different KYB shock? Is this an actual Honda dealership?

Shocks are almost always replaced as pairs. When they are not, it is usually because one is repalced that will match the other and little to no time/mileage is on the other one not being replaced.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A dealer changed one rear shock and not both as a set?
Nice isn't it?

I questioned that to the kid Service Adviser. The result was basically silence. "Uhh.. well.. we corrected the side that was making noise?!?"

I'm actually perfectly fine with that. My ~$230 bill would have been almost double if they swapped out the other shock for me. I plan on picking up another ~$40 KYB and replacing the other side when I get a chance.

I was surprised they didn't even attempt to rope me in to some ridiculous 40Kmi service, or something along those lines, but like we discussed in another thread, my refusal to pay $150 for just one Honda rear shock probably clued them in that I wouldn't go for anything anyway. Homie don't play dat.

Joel

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I replaced the rear shocks on my '06 with Monroe Sensa tracs a few years ago and I'm still pretty happy with them. Took about 1/2 hour to change both of them. Surprised at how easy it is to do. Dealers are a rip off, I think they quoted me around $630 at the time. Fixed it myself for around $120.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts