Honda Odyssey Forum banner

What problem did you have with your rear vent windows?

• Bad motor fixed under warranty

Votes: 40 8.1%
  • Bad motor fixed NOT under warranty

Votes: 60 12.1%
  • Bad motor not fixed

Votes: 227 46.0%
  • Had different problem (please elaborate by posting below)

Votes: 18 3.6%
  • Had more than one problem (please elaborate by posting below)

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Never had a problem

Votes: 154 31.2%

• Total voters
101 - 120 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Mike, for your 2001, 9 times out of 10 it will be the motor. Check the #7 (7.5A) and the #16 (7.5A) fuses in the Passenger's Under-Dash Fuse/Relay Box for the left and right rear vent motors respectively.

·
Registered
7 Posts
odyssey2001ex said:
The driver's side vent motor has been working internittently for the last few months but completely died last week. Today I decided to look into it. Here's what I did:
. Checked 7.5A fuse: was OK but I replaced with a new one (couldn't hear clicking noise when operating switch, with fuse removed)- no dice!
. Took out the paneling, unplugged vent motor and used voltmeter to test plug: I got 12v DC (engine off), 14.4 v (engine running). I think that's normal (or NOT?????)
.Unbolted vent motor, connected to a 9V battery - no dice!
.Took motor apart, cleaned up internal brushes,
put it back together, greased gears, arm, reassembled, connected to a 9V DURACELL battery and it works!
.Connected back to car - no dice
.Unplug, Connect back to 9V battery. It works fine! It opens and closes vent!(by reversing battery connection)

CRAZY OR WHAT? ANY THOUGHTS?

I tested mine today - the motor gets about +/- 14V with the engine running not surprisingly (voltage reverses with open/close). It may be overheating in the engine case but little happier on only 9V. Just a thought.

BTW, replacing the motor (~$60 each) fixes this common Odyssey problem. They are fairly easy to get to for a competent do-it-yourself guy. Just be careful pulling out the panel - there are plastic clips and some hooks that hold it.

Honda parts: R: 73520-S0X-A02 and L: 73570-S0X-A02

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is a very easy fix.
Took me 60 minutes to replace the drivers side motor.
Hardest part was re installing the plastic trim around the window.
That took 40 minutes.
Honda dealer sold me the motor priced at $86 with a 20% discount just by asking.
The motor kit from Honda comes with the bracket, motor,plastic boot and the arm that attaches to the window.

Do not let the dealer charge you anymore than $90/hour labor plus the full price of $86 for the kit, if they do, you are getting ripped off and that's the absolute high side!!!

PM me if you need help replacing the motor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Originally posted by odyssey2001ex
The driver's side vent motor has been working internittently for the last few months but completely died last week. Today I decided to look into it. Here's what I did:
. Checked 7.5A fuse: was OK but I replaced with a new one (couldn't hear clicking noise when operating switch, with fuse removed)- no dice!
. Took out the paneling, unplugged vent motor and used voltmeter to test plug: I got 12v DC (engine off), 14.4 v (engine running). I think that's normal (or NOT?????)
.Unbolted vent motor, connected to a 9V battery - no dice!
.Took motor apart, cleaned up internal brushes,
put it back together, greased gears, arm, reassembled, connected to a 9V DURACELL battery and it works!
.Connected back to car - no dice
.Unplug, Connect back to 9V battery. It works fine! It opens and closes vent!(by reversing battery connection)

CRAZY OR WHAT? ANY THOUGHTS?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got sick of driving without the panelling for the last 3 months.
I finally located and fixed the problem last week:

At the end of the motor housing there's a reducing adapter. The motor plugs into the wider side of the adapter (female) whose other narrow end (male) plugs into the wiring that runs to the door switch. Both prongs are Z shaped but one is made of 2 pieces glued together by a rubbery compound.

I noticed that when I connected the 9V battery directly to the motor, it ran faster (hard to stop by hand). When connecting the battery to the adapter first, it ran slower (easily stopped by hand).

I removed and disassembled the adapter and tested for resistance. The solid prong was fine (reading of 0) while the 2-piece prong read 0.059. I gently compressed the 2 parts together with pliers finally reducing resistance to 0.03. Each time the motor turned faster.
To be sure, I soldered them and got resistance down to 0.

That was that. The window has been working perfectly for a week and the car looks great with the panelling on!

Cost: 3 hrs of work , $0, A GREAT DEAL OF INCONVENIENCE

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Thanks for the post. I will probably try cleaning the motors and your recommendation should the motors fail on me before I cave into the dealer...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Chinese electric motors fail

I've gotten into it with these lousy vent window openers. They were weak and seemed to fail intermittently.

I finally cracked open the cases on the vent window openers expecting to find a friction problem or wear on the set of gears that the motor turns to move the window. I found those parts to be a good as new inside so I dug deeper and removed the actual high RPM electric motor that drives the gears. The problem turns out to be cheap chinese electric motors. Hooked up to 12 volts they would sometimes spin with enough torque to feel by pinching between your fingers and sometimes not. Blowing out the motor with an airgun temporarily fixed it. But the bottom line is that these motors are complete junk. Could be bad brushes, poor windings, or sloppy toloerances. All Chinese trademarks.

(In fact, Patton Fans a former manufacturer of high quality USA made houshold fans, switched to Chinese motors in order to compete with the lo priced crap sold at Wal-Mart etc. The problems were immediate as observed on many consumer forums, but they stuck with the plan of selling well packaged crap until people stopped buying and the Company went under. The same story has been repeated ad infinitum in various industries. I worked for an American manufacturere of Hydraulics that did the same thing. After Shin Fu's poor quality control and lousy metallurgy put Lincoln Automotive on the blocks, Shin Fu actually bought us for pennies on the dollar just for the Lincoln name. Other divisions of the company were sold off and no employees were kept.)

I usually go to salvage yards for parts like these window motors, but since they can all be verified as crap, it's useless. DOES ANYBODY HAVE A CHEAP SOURCE FOR THESE ASSEMBLIES NEW? I'd hate to pay dealer prices for crappy crap unless They could promise me Honda has improved the motors.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Re: Chinese electric motors fail

My ex-wife bought a new 1999 Saturn SL2. Just after warranty was up, the car overheated. Upon removing the cooling fan motor, I discovered that the brush holder assembly was made of cheap (and warped) plastic, that allowed the brushes to move out of contact with the armature. I KNEW Saturn had a serious problem when I called the stealership and the parts monkey told me that they had LOTS of motors available. You know, this was the first time I had ever had to even look at a fan motor. Usually, parts like this are a special order item, or perhaps they might have one or two in stock.

Gene

Ken W said:
I've gotten into it with these lousy vent window openers. They were weak and seemed to fail intermittently.

I finally cracked open the cases on the vent window openers expecting to find a friction problem or wear on the set of gears that the motor turns to move the window. I found those parts to be a good as new inside so I dug deeper and removed the actual high RPM electric motor that drives the gears. The problem turns out to be cheap chinese electric motors. Hooked up to 12 volts they would sometimes spin with enough torque to feel by pinching between your fingers and sometimes not. Blowing out the motor with an airgun temporarily fixed it. But the bottom line is that these motors are complete junk. Could be bad brushes, poor windings, or sloppy toloerances. All Chinese trademarks.

(In fact, Patton Fans a former manufacturer of high quality USA made houshold fans, switched to Chinese motors in order to compete with the lo priced crap sold at Wal-Mart etc. The problems were immediate as observed on many consumer forums, but they stuck with the plan of selling well packaged crap until people stopped buying and the Company went under. The same story has been repeated ad infinitum in various industries. I worked for an American manufacturere of Hydraulics that did the same thing. After Shin Fu's poor quality control and lousy metallurgy put Lincoln Automotive on the blocks, Shin Fu actually bought us for pennies on the dollar just for the Lincoln name. Other divisions of the company were sold off and no employees were kept.)

I usually go to salvage yards for parts like these window motors, but since they can all be verified as crap, it's useless. DOES ANYBODY HAVE A CHEAP SOURCE FOR THESE ASSEMBLIES NEW? I'd hate to pay dealer prices for crappy crap unless They could promise me Honda has improved the motors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
2003 Ody with 118Kmiles. Hardly ever use the rear window vents, but tried them yesterday and neither L nor R worked. All I heard was the clicking of the relays.

I checked the fuses and they were OK. I pulled the driver's side motor out and inspected it. Mine was a plastic assembly that was molded together, therefore, I was not able to disassemble it at all.

Hooked the motor up to a +13vdc power supply. It didn't work. I reversed the polarity of the power wires. It still didn't work. After tapping on the case & messing around with it for a while, it did begin to work. However, it would not continue to work. It labored and was weak.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Re: Chinese electric motors fail

Ken W said:
My dealer adds 30% to the mfg's price, so I go on line to Majestic Honda in Lincoln, RI for all my factory-only parts:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catdisplay.jsp

Majestic gives good fast service with no sales tax and usually 20% to 30% off list price. You can use their parts-diagram search to find your part.

San Leandro Honda in CA used to be a good source, but they have taken down their on line store.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Driver side is an easy DIY fix.
Passenger side is a little harder.
Many posts on this forum on how to do each.
I replaced my drivers side in less than an hour.
(The plastic trim around the rear quarter window was the hardest part and took the most time.)
Honda sells a replacement kit that includes the motor, bracket and rubber boot, all in one bag.

Here is my previous post

odysseyguy1

This is a very easy fix.
Took me 60 minutes to replace the drivers side motor.
Hardest part was re installing the plastic trim around the window.
That took 40 minutes.
Honda dealer sold me the motor priced at $86 with a 20% discount just by asking.
The motor kit from Honda comes with the bracket, motor,plastic boot and the arm that attaches to the window.

Do not let the dealer charge you anymore than $90/hour labor plus the full price of $86 for the kit, if they do, you are getting ripped off and that's the absolute high side!!!

PM me if you need help replacing the motor.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Both rear windows work intermittently and it sounds like a cat being pulled through a knot hole. If someone "helps it" then it works. A little lithium grease carefully sprayed in the mechanical mechanism seems to help some.

·
Registered
201 Posts
2002 EX-L 118,000

I replaced both motors 3 years ago , noticed they seemed to leaked out the lube from the gear box ( maybe from the heat that exists from sitting in hot parking lots ?? ) anyway i sealed the seam of the case with " SUPER WEATHER STRIP ADHESIVE " they have worked ever sense KNOCK ON WOOD ! -------------------------------------------------------UHGGG THAT PASSENGER SIDE ...... Everyone have a safe and fun NEW YEARS !!! :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow I love this forum! Any problems I have with my ODY I am sure to find on these boards!
Mine have never worked properly! Lately they dont work at all which is fine since its winter....

·
Registered
1 Posts
2004 EXL-RES with 77k. Both L & R function sometimes. Once the problems started, I told my wife to just leave them closed until I had time to fix them (I have to find time to fix the SRS light, do the plugs and a few other maintenance items first).

·
Registered
70 Posts
2004 EX-L with 27k miles, both side rear windows operate weakly and stop half way. but wait for a while I can close them but cannot get them fully opened.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Both rear windows have leaks, which has ruined the fabric on the third row side arm panels. I am not sure if there is a motor adjustment or the gaskets need to be replaced.
Both motors work fine but the leaking is a problem.
I called the dealership for gasket replacements and they said both would be over $700, installed together.
This doesnt mean that there isn't a motor depth problem or an adjustment to make either.

101 - 120 of 146 Posts