Honda Odyssey Forum banner

What problem did you have with your rear vent windows?

• Bad motor fixed under warranty

Votes: 40 8.1%
  • Bad motor fixed NOT under warranty

Votes: 60 12.1%
  • Bad motor not fixed

Votes: 227 46.0%
  • Had different problem (please elaborate by posting below)

Votes: 18 3.6%
  • Had more than one problem (please elaborate by posting below)

Votes: 12 2.4%
  • Never had a problem

Votes: 154 31.2%

• Total voters
121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Both rear window motors quit 1 day after other work

I had some engine work done at Ourisman Honda in Maryland a couple of years ago. The next day, both rear power window motors quit working; they just had a clicking noise. Ourisman stated the timing was just a coincidence. When I asked why they both quit working at the same time, I was told it must be because most owners open/close both at once, so they have identical usage hours. I generally used the right rear window much more often than the left, to avoid the loud wind noise in my ear as I drive. Quote was $400 to repair each one; I didn't want to give them the business and haven't had them repaired.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2004 Odyeesy. rear vent windows internittent. Lot's of electrical problems with this model, dash lights fail, clock light fail, passenger side door can't be locked or unlocked remotely, etc.

·
Registered
157 Posts
When i bought my 04 Ody a couple of years ago. the vents hardly worked. i thought it was normal. Clicked when i tried. feebly moved once in a while, just enough to leave a gap open and enough to close it (after waiting much much later).

itworks found the cure tho. click here ->http://www.odyclub.com/forums/9-problems-concerns/39806-rear-vent-windows.html#post516294

After doing the repairs the last couple of weeks, total 4 hours. seeing it work was like seeing a thing of beauty. :D

CK

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just did the "itworks" method today. It was amazingly easy to solder the pieces together and the vent windows now work perfectly. I have not put the panels back on yet, but plan to tackle that very soon. From what I've read, that is the most difficult and time consuming part of the job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a 2002 Odyssey with 85500 miles. Both vents work sporadically. Passenger side usually works, Driver's side only opens slightly then doesn't want to close until I'm sitting parked. If I have some free time this weekend I'm also going to try the "itworks" solution.

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
have a 2001 Ody, motor of rear passenger window went bad about 60K miles - started as an intermittent problem whether closing it or opening it - until it went totally bad ( good it was in closed position). Stayed bad for about two years before I found a salvage yard that sold the motor. I replaced the motor myself - not fun at the passenger side - the aircon vent gets in the way.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi Homer,

from how the problem is on the motors assy, its not really the motor, its a electronic component (thermistor) that wore out or its contacts did, it just doesnt let enough electricity thru to the motors. its the part that we resolder here.

from what i understand, the component originally is suppose to limit the electricity when u reach the fully closed and fully open position. so that it doesnt burn out the motors. i guess it did its job well. unfortunately, honda doesnt just sell that part.

Sincerely,
CK

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2002 odyssey, 118k driver side vent window stopped working. Everybody says take off quarter panel but I can not find anything on how to take off quarter panel. Anybody have a link or pictures or diagram?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just noticed this problem since the weather started warming up and I needed to open the rear windows. On our 2004 it opens about half that time and when it does it does not fully open. Our EX only has about 24k. :mad:

I'll have to bring this up next time I'm at the dealers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The working of my rear vent windows has progressively deteriorated.
At first they worked fine, Then, one began to only open/close partway,
and then work only some of the time. It would quit working for months
but then begin working again partially. No rhyme or reason to it.
Eventually, the other window began the same routine.
Currently neither of the windows are working at all.
Also, when they did work after beginning to fail,
they opened up only a fraction of the amount they did originally.

Sounds like a common problem. :nothappy:

121 - 140 of 146 Posts