Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I own 2004 EX-L Res, and I am thinking of getting an aftermarket rear view camera. If possible, I would like a Rear View Camera + GPS combo. But it is hard to find a good one. Any recommendations? Or should I purchase two separate units, after all?

A good GPS unit with a separate video input should also work, I believe. Any suggestion about this is also welcome.

There may be an existing thread about this. If so, let me know. I did a search, but I could not find one.

·
Registered
110 Posts
1newbird said:
A good GPS unit with a separate video input should also work, I believe. Any suggestion about this is also welcome.

There may be an existing thread about this. If so, let me know. I did a search, but I could not find one.
I had a similar idea and i got Sanyo GPS unit which has a RCA video input for a possible backup camera. But the problem with that approach is that you will have to make sure that you turn the unit on each time you power off and on your ignition. Hence I abandoned the idea and got a in rear-view mirror monitor for backup.

So currently i installed camera with a video transmitter in the back which connects to the "reverse" light circuit. Installed it about 8 months ago and did not make my Sanyo to work seamlessly with the reverse circuit.

Hence I have installed the mirror monitor on the front with the wireless receiver which is also reverse circuit connected. Completed my setup 3 weeks and i am really impressed with the functionality.

So I would recommend you get separate units. Send me an email I will send you pics of my installation (files are huge about 4MB each).

Parts

1. 6 IR LED Reverse camera from Ebay $25 (shipped)

2. Audiovox Wireless Monitor Back Up Camera Transmitter/Receiver Kit - ACA300 - $39.99

3. Accele RV3500K Rear View Mirror Monitor - $70 Ebay

4. Gentex Mirror Cam Lock Adapter - $15

Thats it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks and apologies for a slow response

Thank you for the responses. So it sounds like it is better to install two separate units.

I sent ody04 a private message.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Re: thanks and apologies for a slow response

1newbird said:
Thank you for the responses. So it sounds like it is better to install two separate units.
I sent ody04 a private message.
I am sorry for the delay, really busy at office and working late nights. I am putting together a small PDF which explains about what I did in a piece meal. If you could give me about 3-4 days I will complete that doc and post here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, Ody04. No rush. I have one question re the rear view mirror monitor. I checked the web, and I only found complete units, not just the mirror, like the following site:

http://www.mobilevideozone.com/product_view.aspx?product_ID=68D83FF6-C124-45FD-96E8-93605F2133C6

And this type of item is very expensive ($300+). I assume you purchased just the mirror, but I could not find anything like that at ebay. Perhaps any rear view mirror monitor (i.e. any rear view mirror that is "changed" into a monitor when you back up) would work, but I was not sure.

Thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
1newbird said:
d this type of item is very expensive ($300+). I assume you purchased just the mirror, but I could not find anything like that at ebay. Perhaps any rear view mirror monitor (i.e. any rear view mirror that is "changed" into a monitor when you back up) would work,
It seems like the product RV3500K comes in two configurations, the one I have currently is just the mirror some one sold in EBAY. I did not find the similar mirror on ebay at all only one NY based auto audio installer sold it.

Yes mirror with rear-view lcd with "reverse" trigger will work. Before the current mirror came to my attention I almost purchased the "Audiovox RVMPKG4" - Rear view camera with rear-view mirror monitor just to use the monitor. I did not like the audiovox camera at all. So there are pretty different options you can have depending on how much you want to buy. My personal preference is "AUDIOVOX LCDM42" I liked this monitor better among all monitors I have researched.

Another important point you should consider, there is a brand called Gentex which is a OEM manufacturer and supplier of the rear-view mirrors for Ford, GM etc. which does have a good quality of silver coating which conceals the LCD monitor which costs way above $350 range with lesser screen size.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Ody04. That was very helpful. I will wait for your posting with a .pdf.

Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts