Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or is the image quality of the rear view camera just terrible?!

I own a prius as well and the image quality is 100x better. The Odyssey camera is useless!

I have cleaned the lense to no avail...

Is this just me?

·
Registered
507 Posts
It's way worse than my GL450 but the Ody camera is far from useless. I still use it each time I back up.

·
Registered
730 Posts

I own a prius as well and the image quality is 100x better. The Odyssey camera is useless!

Is this just me?
Unless your looking to avoid running over insects, I'd hardly call it useless. I put the blame more on the low-res screen.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
It's under warrenty. Take it in and see if they can improve it. Compare it to other vehicles on their lot.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts

Is this just me?
Compare at the dealer against others as stated above. The thing works just fine, even the contrast at night is nice... unless you are driving on reverse to work ;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think the resolution is more than fine myself; besides we're still responsible to turn our necks to see what's coming. The camera is just to supplement the backing up procedure, and I find it more than adequate.

If you think the Odyssey's was horrible, try the Sienna's. It is a lot smaller. My father-in-law even noticed how it seemed nicer than his 2007 Infinite G37S convertible's back up camera.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It's actually good in daylight but not so great when dark.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The Sienna camera was much higher quality - not sure if it is the camera itself or the touchscreen - daytime, not as much of a difference but nighttime, Ody camera is grainy but still functional. Could be rear backup lights - brighter on Sienna than Ody?

Regardless, it isn't for watching TV - nor does it replace using mirrors - it fills in the gap around the mirrors nicely.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Meh... sounds like some of you are ok with sub par products at premium prices. I love my Odyssey but I'm letting you know that my other car that cost $20k less has a better camera. Will it matter? Probably not, but for a Japanese company this should be one area with no such poor quality...

·
Registered
507 Posts
Meh... sounds like some of you are ok with sub par products at premium prices. I love my Odyssey but I'm letting you know that my other car that cost $20k less has a better camera. Will it matter? Probably not, but for a Japanese company this should be one area with no such poor quality...
I'm not so sure that I'm okay with sub par products at premium prices... but I'm okay with a less than perfect back up camera. I don't use it for video taping my kids.. I use it to see if there is something like a child, pet, or vehicle in the way when I'm backing up. I also use it if I'm backing up toward wall in a parking structure. I don't really care if I can see details like the exact texture of the wall in a parking lot or what the eye color of the child is behind me... I just want to see that they are there so I can avoid hurting them. Why waste more money on a camera that shows me more than I need? I get a little more worked up about wishing the Touring Elite's sound system was a little better... that's something I paid for purposefully. I just wanted a back up camera... I wasn't expecting an HD back up camera.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have had no issues with mine and I think the resolution is good. Someone posted a comparo with the odyssey, sienna, and the caravan in another thread and i remember them saying that the odyssey rear view screen had the best resolution out of the three. Maybe it is your van and you should take it in to the dealer to be checked or compare it to another odyssey van and see if there is a difference.

·
Registered
730 Posts
There are plenty of examples of really nice accessories that come in a vehicle that is a)junk b) overpriced c) all the above. I depends on what is important to you. In 2 to 3 years most displays will probably have the resolution of an Apple product anyway. Some Ford products already have some nice hi-def displays. I just test drove one.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The Honda's Screen resolution is actually quite nice. It's the camera that is the culprit however it's not that bad if there's good lighting outside...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm a professional photographer on the side and I could care less about the quality of the back-up cam. It's ten times better than that silly roof mounted mirror.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts

The more important question is, Do you really need a backup camera in a Prius? :p

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The more important question is, Do you really need a backup camera in a Prius? :p
LOL, not really, but once you get used to one that functions you learn how to use it well, i have scared the crap out of people sitting in their parked cars. it's quite funny to watch them watch you get an inch of their bumper :DD

... then pull forward... of course....

1 - 20 of 61 Posts