Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the EX-L and EX-L with NAV have the same rearview cameras and displays? I understand the EX-L with NAV has three views; want to know if it is different on the EX-L.

Trying to decide between these two and a Touring. The actual NAV isn't that important to us, but the cameras seem like useful features, especially since we have not ever driven anything this large.

Thanks!

·
Registered
301 Posts
EX-L has single view backup camera and EX-L NAVI has three views.

Normal, Wide and Down (looking down at bumper from the sky).

I hate the wide view and have not used the top down view yet. Wide gives you a little more side viewing ability but it distorts the image a bit that is why I don't like it.

The camera views should be the last of your concerns for picking a trim level, just as long as there is a backup camera with at least one view.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Go with the Touring just for the additional safety feature of the front/rear sensors. These should've been standard on a vehicle this large!

·
Registered
157 Posts
A note about wide view: it can show you a 180 degree view from the rear bumper, which makes it pretty invaluable when backing out of a parking spot with limited visibility!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. We ended up purchasing a Touring yesterday. I do like the wide-view ~ we took the car for a test drive and practiced backing up in a parking lot. This vehicle is much larger than anything we've driven so anything that helps see what's behind or around is useful.

How close do you have to be to something for the parking sensors to beep?

·
Registered
157 Posts
How close do you have to be to something for the parking sensors to beep?
I think it's about 2 ft., but note that the object has to be squarely behind or in front of the vehicle. It doesn't prevent you from rubbing the side of the car up against anything when you're backing up (i.e. be careful of the cars next to you when you rely on the backup sensors, and always use the side mirrors).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So it should go off before you hit a wall in front right? Trying to get used to parking this thing, and it would be helpful to know I've pulled as far up to the garage wall as possible. So far, I have not been able to make it go off. I did make sure the green light is on indicating the sensors are active.

·
Registered
157 Posts
When you say the green light is on, I assume you mean on the parking sensor button on the left driver's side?

If so, put the car in drive, apply the brake hard and have someone walk close along the front bumper. It should go off, and you may have to ensure it's turned on and working if it doesn't.

The way the system works is that there are three sensors on the front, three in the back. As you approach an object, you'll hear a slow beep and see a light go on in the front display that indicates which sensor(s) are going off. The beep and display will get faster the closer you get until it goes solid, indicating you REALLY need to stop.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The Rear sensors start beeping at about 4-5 feet. The fronts start beeping at 2 1/2 feet or so. The sensors itself are different part numbers otherwise it would be rather annoying in bumper to bumper traffic.

I only Use wide mode. It is the most useful mode. However when it's pitch dark outside (no street lamps), widemode sucks since the backup lights don't shine light sideways. I'm wondering if I can mount some kind of flood light underneath the car or something that throws out more light. Or replace the bulbs with brighter bulbs....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So far, I like the sensors. We live in a high rise building with a parking garage. The sensors are helping as we try to get used to negotiating around pillars in the garage. I find the cameras somewhat useful, mostly as a check to see how well I parked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts